Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 01:22 PM

26,578 posts, read 14,449,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. Turns out wrecking ball's daughter is not eligible for British citizenship.
my daughter, no ( or at least not automatic citizenship ). but what about the same scenario for countries with extended descent laws past the first generation ( i believe poland and greece have been mentioned ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 01:49 PM

26,578 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
That makes Obama a foreigner, and clearly ineligible in reference to John Jay's origination of the natural born citizen clause.
but you're applying your definition of "foreigner" to john jay's letter, not jay's definition ( he never gives one ). nor does his letter offer his definition of NBC. also, as has been stated, it's a letter not a legal document.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:22 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
my daughter, no ( or at least not automatic citizenship ). but what about the same scenario for countries with extended descent laws past the first generation ( i believe poland and greece have been mentioned ).
Typically, those foreign citizenships are extended only when the American-born person's forebears have not become naturalized U.S. citizens (naturalization would have required them to renounce and abjure any foreign allegiance ever held).

Old 12-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
but you're applying your definition of "foreigner" to john jay's letter, not jay's definition ( he never gives one ).
Not my definition, Merriam-Webster's, which I've previously linked.

foreigner: a person belonging to or owing allegiance to a foreign country

Old 12-18-2010, 02:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
By that argument McCain has dual citizenship and allegiance to Panama.
Actually, that's probably the case. Mitt Romney's father was born in Mexico (to US born citizens), so he's a Mexican citizen, too.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:02 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
No. There is no U.S. law that requires anyone to forfeit any other citizenship at birth. In fact, the U.S. recognizes but does not recommend dual citizenship status.
And yet you are insisting that foreign law (in this case British) can require a natural born US citizen to forfeit their US citizenship status. You are arguing that foreign law is superior to American law... even on American soil. Last I looked, that was hardly the sort of position a true patriot would ever hold.

The complete idiocy of such a position (which is the one you explicitly hold) is that any foreign government...say, that of Hugo Chavez... could simply by passing a law declare all Americans to also be Venezuelan citizens at birth, and thus (by your anomalous definition) disqualify every living person from being president.

The nuttiness of that claim is the reason why no American judge, jurist, or Constitutional expert agrees with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
The State Dept confirms dual nationals owe allegiance to both the U.S. and the foreign country. That makes Obama a foreigner, and clearly ineligible in reference to John Jay's origination of the natural born citizen clause.
The State Department has also testified under oath in the case of Strunk v. The Department of State that Barack Obama is a natural born US citizen.

It appears that you are again alone in your wacky assertions that President Obama is a foreigner.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Italy as well.

I am a natural born US citizen, exceeding even the most strict Birther definition of NBC... i.e. born on US soil to two American citizens.

And I was also an Italian citizen at birth.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Typically, those foreign citizenships are extended only when the American-born person's forebears have not become naturalized U.S. citizens (naturalization would have required them to renounce and abjure any foreign allegiance ever held).
And that happens all the time.

In my case, both my parents were born with dual citizenship before their own immigrant parents naturalized. Therefore, I too was a dual citizen at birth.

I even possess both passports.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Not my definition, Merriam-Webster's.
Merriam-Webster is not a legal authority. At least not in this country.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Italy as well.

I am a natural born US citizen, exceeding even the most strict Birther definition of NBC... i.e. born on US soil to two American citizens.

And I was also an Italian citizen at birth.
You have no naturalized U.S. citizen forebears? They all remained non-U.S. citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies