Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you rob Peter to pay Paul and David, Paul and david will vote for you everytime.
Ah, the Democrats' divide-and-conquer political philosophy.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I really hate to say this, but i am. Those that i know that make a very good living, watch their penny's and i mean watch them, in every way.

Those that hardly are making a living, spend, on every thing that you can imagine, credit card there, credit card now, credit card, for everything, And they don't pay them off, and the interest it piles up. What am i trying to say, they spend their money on poor choices, making the wrong decisions. I have a lot of very smart friends, and they invest at the right times, make the right stock moves, the choices they made, are not made lightly, and yes they have success. Don't put them down, for knowing how to make the right financial decisions.

For some, figure out how to get out from under the debt you now have.

And for these people, nothing was given to them on a silver platter, it was all hard work, and long hard college days.

Why do you so easily put down anyone who has success in life, ain't we suppose to be living the AMERICAN DREAM!
excellent post. the problem with most people is not that they dont make enough money, but that they spend too much, rather like our government.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,903,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
excellent post. the problem with most people is not that they dont make enough money, but that they spend too much, rather like our government.
If we all managed our money as bad as the government does, we would be in jail.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
If we all managed our money as bad as the government does, we would be in jail.
actually if we all managed our money as badly as the government does, we would be UNDER the jail.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:47 PM

143 posts, read 320,043 times
I've spoken to a lot of business owners. They complain about taxes. Whether they are rich or not doesn't matter to me, their attitude have changed, like they don't want to work anymore, some have closed down their business, and many just want to make a certain amount and that's it. All in all, they won't be hiring anytime soon.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It makes me wonder why the founding fathers said this in the Constitution

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Why wouldnt they require taxes to be uniform across the nation?
The Founding Fathers were fervently against income tax, for the best of reasons. It would give government uncontrollable power. They knew and wrote prolifically about the fact that the Federal Government was a dangerous monster that would grow until it destroyed the country; they told us we would have to fight the monster back periodically or all freedom would be lost. They knew that restricting the taxes the Federal level could impose to only tariffs served the dual purposes of limiting Federal power and protecting American business. America thrived and grew.

Unfortunately, we never limited the growth of the Federal monster, and it grew unchecked and finally took over completely under the bipolar Lincoln. Politicians gave it infinite power by allowing it to tax our incomes, at first only affecting one percent of the population, and taking very little from them. From this the monster grew until the Federal level--which gives virtually nothing back to the individual--can steal 1/3 or more of your income. The other levels confiscate enough to bring your losses to 50%. In return for what? An abusive Federal government whose actions I disapprove of about 99.999% of the time.

America was great while it lasted. Maybe we could throw out the Evil Empire and start a free America again.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:46 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you rob Peter to pay Paul and David, Paul and david will vote for you everytime.
When Paul and David were robbed up front, is it OK to let Peter off the hook paying? Even better is walking out on the dinner check entirely with offshore accounts. Perhaps if salaries had some connection to the actual company, reality math for all would take precedence. But it doesn't and that's been the problem all along.

IF small business ever had the exact same advantages given fortune 500, most of this would lose it's imperative. Remove the advantages given fortune 500 is the most economical way to resolve. If they've got a billion to plunk down on lobbyists, that's not earning an honest living. It's legalized bribery.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Agreed .... A flat tax would ensure that those earning the most money would pay the most in taxes. A flat tax would reduce the tax liability for all, especially the middle class who are paying too much in taxes.
a consumption tax would be even better

think of the taxes on that Lexus, or a yacht

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a consumption tax would be even better

think of the taxes on that Lexus, or a yacht

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation
Yeah, but the only problem is that many wealthy folks are frugal, and many middle-class and lower class folks are big spenders.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,735,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I notice on other message boards and story comments that people seem to think that the rich don't pay enough in taxes. Don't the rich pay 50% now or something around that? Would it make people happy if they paid 99%? I'm not rich, but I would be extremely unhappy if I made $1M per year and have to give up half of it to the government. Where does it end? Are people not entitled to make money? Is just class envy?
Actually most sane people don't give a thought about the rich and how much they pay in taxes. They only care that they abide by the law like everyone else. It's only the lefties, the wingnuts, who are consumed by envy of the successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies