Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:50 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,194,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
psssst here is a secret. The Dems also voted to go to war and in both countries.
It wasn't just the republicans.
Pssst...everyone including me knows that....oh, political guru!

BUT BUSH planned it and pushed for it and his slavering followers CHEERED IT!. The Democrats were backed into a corner at the time and idiots were calling anyone NOT interested in a never-ending war anti-American or not patriotic...

The FACT remains that in THIS thread the Repugs are FOR raping children....they did NOT CARE how much the war cost when they CLAIMED they were helping Iraqis....NOW they don't want to help children who are being raped....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM

59 posts, read 149,982 times
We shouldn't be legislating for the entire world.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,022,480 times
Don't we have issues in our own country that we need to attend to?

Children have been getting married since the beginning of time. Just because it's so outrageous to us as Americans doesn't mean that it's outrageous to everyone. I certainly do NOT agree with anyone under the age of 18 getting married, but we need to vote on issues in AMERICA.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,194,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrykein View Post
We shouldn't be legislating for the entire world.
We aren't.... this country, along with other countries , for CENTURIES has tried to influence other countries for good or ill...

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,507,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
We aren't.... this country, along with other countries , for CENTURIES has tried to influence other countries for good or ill...
Perhaps the OIC will decide that our Western women are too uppity and use their "influence" to tell us they need to be brought down a notch. In that case I'd tell them to get bent, which is what they ought to tell us in this case.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The US should ban ALL funding of countries that practice these types of marriages. If they are performed in this country by immigrants from primitive countries, then the older "spouse" should be imprisoned and/or fined. Problem solved. Needless resources spent with our tax dollars.
that wont make any difference as marriage between children, and between children and adults is ingrained in the culture. in the middle east there are rules that have been set down in this regard centuries ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
So if a powerful country such as ours doesn't take a stand against the forced marriage of children to adults, what kind of message are we then sending?

As long as we don't allow it in the US who cares?
We still do have much influence over other countries that allow this to continue, if we took a stand against it maybe, just maybe, some of those places would want to keep in our good graces & stop these abominations.
An 11 yr. old forced to marry a 40 yr.old who can do what he wishes with her?

To say I am disappointed in the 'party of family values' on this one is an understatement.
BTW this bill would not have cost one red cent.
actually according to the laws in many countries where children, as young as 9 years, are allowed to marry adults, there are very specific rules both parties HAVE to abide by. for instance there can be NO physical contact until the child is of a certain age, 13 i believe. the parents have to consent to the marriage as well. there are many other rules as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are only a few places in the USA where a 30 year old can marry a 12 year old. I think maybe Alabama, Mississippi and New Hampshire. But even in those states the girl has to consent. Georgia does not allow that anymore.
not only the child has to consent , but so do the parents.

Quote:
Repubs didn't mind playing policeman when they invaded Iraq...they LOVED IT! The expense, the death and mutilation, the fact that their grandchildren will be paying for it....Operation FREEEEDUMB....so the boogey man wouldn't get 'em and Haliburton would make a profit..they LOVED IT!
.....guess Repugs can't find a way to profit from raping children so don't want to spend any money on it....
the dems also voted for the wars. the dems also had many chances in the last four years to pull the troops, or force the removal of the troops, from both countries, and yet they have NOT done so. why?

Quote:

BUT BUSH planned it and pushed for it and his slavering followers CHEERED IT!. The Democrats were backed into a corner at the time and idiots were calling anyone NOT interested in a never-ending war anti-American or not patriotic...

The FACT remains that in THIS thread the Repugs are FOR raping children....they did NOT CARE how much the war cost when they CLAIMED they were helping Iraqis....NOW they don't want to help children who are being raped....
dont forget that it was CLINTON that signed the iraqi freedom act where by the US was obligated to work towards regime change in iraq.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,264,158 times
Quote:

Hmmmm really then how come you hardliners always fail to mention that fact when you talk about the wars?
I seem to remember quite a few dems cheering as well. But hey why let the facts get in the way of a good hardline rant right?
Did any republican say they didn't want to help?
I might want to help my neighbor clean up his yard. I can pay to have experts tell him how bad it is to use his yard as a landfill. But if he doesn't care then its a waste of money and effort.
In this case. We can't influence a culture that believes their right and everyone else is wrong.
We are not the worlds police force, social worker or ambulance.
The money wasted on yet another touchy feel good scam would be better saved, or spent on our own children.
Trillions in debt and no real hope in sight. We can't afford the waste.
I know I know its only a drop in the bucket. Its that mentality that keeps us buried in the red.
The bottom line is this is not our problem. We have problems of our own to fix. Lets focus inward before we save the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies