Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 AM

91 posts, read 192,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Back in my teen years I used to go to a spot in the woods near the Mass. Turnpike to drink beer. There was an area where the rain would wash all the crap from the road and there was always a pile of cigarette buts about knee high and about ten feet wide. Nasty....

And as a responsible teen you and your wasted buddies gathered up all the empties and took em with you, not threw them on the pile.. right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:17 AM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I think the solution is to get an electronic cigarette and chew nicotine gum, so I will smell minty fresh, feel the buzz, and still get to look cool.
My old roommate tried the electronic cigarette (as did I once or twice), and it was weird... tasted funky & metallic, didn't give you the same effect, and had to be charged like 2-3x a day. I am planning to try the "inhaler" when I quit, which I'm hoping to do very soon - yeah, yeah, I know ALL smokers say that.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:27 AM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Are the Smell Nazis going to tell nonsmokers to deny our biological functions and ablate our sense of smell when smokers are around? Are we going to have to be forced to wear noseplugs? Your logic certainly can go both ways!

And BTW nobody is forcing you to smoke and wear the stench of death. You do that to yourself. Yet you turn around and tell people not to smell you. How is that even biologically possible? Last time I checked, breathing air was critical to sustaining human life. I'm just sayin! Smoke if you want, but embrace your leper status!
I personally DO embrace it... I know smoking is gross, it smells, and is really really bad for us. But man oh man, does it feel goooooood. And that's the beauty of living in a free country - we can do whatever we want (as long as it's legal), no matter how unhealthy & gross it is! People choose to wear perfume/cologne, despite the fact that people like myself are highly allergic; people also choose not to bathe regularly, and I don't think anyone here enjoys the stench of B.O. Now if I turned to a stranger with B.O., and said "would you mind going home and taking a bath?" they'd have every right to tell me to mind my own business, and to walk downwind if it bothered me.

Part of life is dealing with these annoyances, and learning how to live with them. I'm usually as considerate as possible (no choice around here, really), but when somebody lectures or whines at me, it only makes me want to annoy them more. Sorry, but that's the truth!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:50 AM

35 posts, read 61,480 times
Martin Niemoller Quote

First they came for the Jews. I was silent. I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists. I was silent. I was not a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists. I was silent. I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me. There was no one left to speak for me.
Its amazing that this country is imploding and people are still worried about a legal product. The smell of smoke, give me a break.
There will be a day when they come after you and I will not say a word.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,566,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisthea View Post
Why on earth should the poster feel sorry about that? It is HER choice to kill herself just a bit more everyday isn't it?
Let's turn it around a bit.

Why should smokers care about the "rights"/feelings of non-smokers when these people do not care about smokers rights? In the posts above, how many have stated that they want it to be made illegal to smoke and smokers should be fined or put in jail?

Compassion engenders compassion. The inverse is all to true.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,698,570 times
Quote:
Are the Smell Nazis going to tell nonsmokers to deny our biological functions and ablate our sense of smell when smokers are around? Are we going to have to be forced to wear noseplugs? Your logic certainly can go both ways!

And BTW nobody is forcing you to smoke and wear the stench of death. You do that to yourself. Yet you turn around and tell people not to smell you. How is that even biologically possible? Last time I checked, breathing air was critical to sustaining human life. I'm just sayin! Smoke if you want, but embrace your leper status!
I've become nauseous just from smelling someone's cologne or perfume--but guess what? I suck it up and deal with it. If I CAN leave the area, I will, but otherwise I just put up with it. And I don't ask the person what kind of stench they have that is so bad that they have to cover it up with that other stench.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,698,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Another statement of proof that smokers are grumps! If smokers actually smoked something that didn't linger, didn't smell horrible, there wouldn't be an issue. But it really does stink and no one should have to walk through it because you are there. In most states, and cities you cannot even smoke within a certain distance from an exit/entrance so things are getting much better!

Just out of curiousity, for those that do smoke...why do you? Minus the health issues, wouldn't you like to spend that extra money on something else? Do you have an idea of how much you spend on this habit? Just wondering...
I've lived around smokers--I didn't notice any odor from them, or their clothes.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,550,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisthea View Post
Why on earth should the poster feel sorry about that? It is HER choice to kill herself just a bit more everyday isn't it?

"She" (I'm a guy) apparently knows something you don't: Today's Smoke Nazi's are tomorrow's victims of the same intolerance and prejudice.

You'll understand when they come after you. And, they will.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,562,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
Could it be the main reason people flip cigs out the car window is that the car does not have a ash tray? We own a 1998 and a 2002 and neither car has a ash tray. Myself, I fill a empty plastic bottle with water for my butts because it is a safety issue on preventing a fire.
Auto parts stores sell an ashtray that sits in your vehicle's cup holder

Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,802,120 times
Yeah, that's disgusting. To me, all littering is disgusting. To see grown people throwing trash on the ground. I saw a woman standing by a trash can and dropped something. She left it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies