Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I like to think that most conservatives weren't like the ones on this thread all their lives until recently.

From the Washington Post,

'Then we reached Totenberg herself during her "Christmas vacation" (her term) in Jamaica. Turns out her critics got it completely wrong: She was, she says, defending Christmas. The DOJ celebration was officially dubbed a "holiday" party, and she was gently mocking that generic designation. "I think that's kind of silly, because it's obviously a Christmas party," she told us. "I was tweaking the Department of Justice. It was a touch of irony at the expense of the Justice Department, not at the expense of Christmas." "
How fortunate for her, that she was allowed ample time to travel to Jamaica and formulate an excuse, er...an explanation. (Unlike Mr. Williams, who was not afforded this luxury.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
MAYBE but we all know what she was referring to since most Jews weren't like that all our lives until recently when PC forced left leaners to worry about offending Muslims.
No we don't all know that.

I took it as a sarcastic comment from her about the PC-ness of the DoD not calling it a Christmas party.

It was satire, which, like irony, is often lost on right wing types.

Whatever the case, her comment didn't have anything whatsoever to do with Muslims or offending them...

EDIT: And no, I didn't just think this after hearing Totenberg's explanation. This is what I thought when I heard the story up front.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
How fortunate for her, that she was allowed ample time to travel to Jamaica and formulate an excuse, er...an explanation. (Unlike Mr. Williams, who was not afforded this luxury.)
How unfortunate for you that she had a perfectly reasonable explanation for her remark, and that your refusal to accept that reasonable explanation makes you seem quite unreasonable. Sure, feign outrage now over Mr Williams. That's the only path open to you in the outrage department, isn't it?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
How unfortunate for you that she had a perfectly reasonable explanation for her remark, and that your refusal to accept that reasonable explanation makes you seem quite unreasonable. Sure, feign outrage now over Mr Williams. That's the only path open to you in the outrage department, isn't it?
LOL! How unreasonable of you to call my reasonable post unreasonable. Now, lets just try to be reasonable and agree to disagree on this one. Sound reasonable?

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
LOL! How unreasonable of you to call my reasonable post unreasonable. Now, lets just try to be reasonable and agree to disagree on this one. Sound reasonable?

Merry Christmas!
I don't think so. If your post were reasonable, it would have acknowledged that there was not a shred of evidence that Ms Totenberg's intent was anything more than what she said. I suggested several times this reasonable interpretation of her remarks. But you and other posters would have none of it, instead unreasonably insisting that your offensive interpretation was the only possible interpretation. Now, like Ms Totenberg, I'm calling a spade a spade. Interpret that any way you like.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. If your post were reasonable, it would have acknowledged that there was not a shred of evidence that Ms Totenberg's intent was anything more than what she said. I suggested several times this reasonable interpretation of her remarks. But you and other posters would have none of it, instead unreasonably insisting that your offensive interpretation was the only possible interpretation. Now, like Ms Totenberg, I'm calling a spade a spade. Interpret that any way you like.
Well, I still disagree. Her comment was, at minimum, inappropriate. Disagree if you like. At least, for the moment, we still have free speech. Good day.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I still disagree. Her comment was, at minimum, inappropriate. Disagree if you like. At least, for the moment, we still have free speech. Good day.
OH, and you were made God yesterday so you get to decide the minimum standards, eh? She explained what she said, why she said it, and there was NOTHING inappropriate about her remark. How many times did I ask on this thread, your thread, what was the Department of Justice calling the party? You had ample time and opportunity to research that simple question, instead you chose to pursue your faux outrage, and you're still clinging to that indignation. Over nothing.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
I like to think that most conservatives weren't like the ones on this thread all their lives until recently.

From the Washington Post,

'Then we reached Totenberg herself during her "Christmas vacation" (her term) in Jamaica. Turns out her critics got it completely wrong: She was, she says, defending Christmas. The DOJ celebration was officially dubbed a "holiday" party, and she was gently mocking that generic designation. "I think that's kind of silly, because it's obviously a Christmas party," she told us. "I was tweaking the Department of Justice. It was a touch of irony at the expense of the Justice Department, not at the expense of Christmas." "

I'm outraged, OUTRAGED I TELL YOU!!!...

Oh, wait, never mind.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:41 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Would that important stuff be like the Dream Act, the tax laws, and other of the things that Dirty Harry has tried to force on us like he did the Health Insurance Law? I sure hope not.

Oh, puhleez. The GOP will get their chance to screw things up come January.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
OH, and you were made God yesterday so you get to decide the minimum standards, eh? She explained what she said, why she said it, and there was NOTHING inappropriate about her remark. How many times did I ask on this thread, your thread, what was the Department of Justice calling the party? You had ample time and opportunity to research that simple question, instead you chose to pursue your faux outrage, and you're still clinging to that indignation. Over nothing.
I really don't care if the DOJ called it "Another Waste of Tax Payers' Money Party" and I don't care how many times you asked what it was called. I still think Totenburg's comment was inappropriate and unprofessional at minimum. If she really has a problem with political correctness, let her come out and directly say so and let NPR quit catering to it. NPR might consider an apology to Juan Williams while they're at it and maybe offering him his old job back; not that he'd be likely to take it. I think he's too happy at FOX now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies