Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If you are correct, wouldn't she have said Christmas party, and then said something like, "...or are we to apologize for saying Christmas now?" How do you rebel against something by actually towing the line? If she does think the PC stuff has gone too far, her employer has her afraid to go against the PC crowd that wants to eliminate references to Christmas.
I think you think too much. I also think you are spoiling for a fight where none exists. Sorry, nothing to see here. Move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Wow... really?
All this feigned outrage over a single word?

She can talk as much smack about Christmas (although I don't believe she was) as she wants... there is still free speech in the country, right? As for the public funds, I'm considered public too, right? I just donated $50 to NPR

Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If you are correct, wouldn't she have said Christmas party, and then said something like, "...or are we to apologize for saying Christmas now?" How do you rebel against something by actually towing the line? If she does think the PC stuff has gone too far, her employer has her afraid to go against the PC crowd that wants to eliminate references to Christmas.
She'da been taking sides if she'da followed your suggestion.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Talking Please use this incredibly minor nonevent to feed your persecution complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
"forgive the expression - Christmas Party" NOT "forgive me for having attended a Christmas Party" are two different things. And I believe you know it just as you know the First Amendment protects religious freedom from persecution by the government; NOT protects the people from ever hearing a religious word.
Have it your way. This is a major issue that shakes the very foundations of Christianity. You're under a relentless attack from howling agnostic hordes. How can Christians ever find the strength to endure this shocking torment and persecution?

heaven hears your prayers for help

Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
There are men in black pounding on my front door - thanks a lot!
Okay. You're comment on these boards is funny (made me chuckle.) Totenburg's comment as rep. of NPR in public interview was not. Big difference.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:05 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Wow... really?
All this feigned outrage over a single word?

She can talk as much smack about Christmas (although I don't believe she was) as she wants... there is still free speech in the country, right? As for the public funds, I'm considered public too, right? I just donated $50 to NPR
I don't know. Go ask Juan Williams about Free Speech at NPR.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
We need to codify all of our utterances for safe expression.

Maybe something like, "Praise be to the Government", we need to codify all of our utterances for safe expression.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Christmas is a social holiday, economic holiday and religious holiday.

Take it for what it is and just leave it be...where has the tolerance gone to in the US these days ?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:35 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Another reason for outrage in the link below:
BBC News - UAE hotel boasts 'most expensive Christmas tree'
A muslim country has the guts to install a $11 million Christmas tree in a hotel. Don't they know they are
(a) muslims, and therefore
(b) not allowed to install a more expensive tree than the Vatican does?
Are they tryng to diss a minority of the chrisitians (who are apparently quite sensitive) here?

FOX - where art thou?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
NPR has been doing shows on Christmas recipes, Christmas stories, Christmas travel tips, Christmas gift giving trends, etc. So what this reporter said has been taken out of context and/or misconstrued. The right wing nutjobs do not have anything else to whine about at the moment, so they rolled out the WMD's of their delusional war on Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies