Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:05 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
After I lost my job, and couldn't find another I re-homed my puppy to a man and his grandson that he was raising alone. Recently I re-homed my cat to a farm in KY. It was heart breaking on so many levels I can't begin to explain.

Many of us in today's world had jobs until recently, we weren't always poor and unemployed. We aquired these beloved pets at a time when we could afford them.

This little old man has given me all he has to give in this world and to re-home him would be a cruel death sentence, he doesn't care where he is as long as it's with me and it will be, even if we are living in a tent.
For the record (since you quoted & bolded my reply), I didn't mean to imply giving up a pet was always wrong... also a big difference between re-homing them yourself and dumping them at a shelter, the latter of which is more what I was referring to. Believe it or not, I currently have 33 pets - that's 1 dog, 3 cats, and 29 snakes. If I could no longer afford to care for them, I'd probably sell off most of the snakes. Not only because some are worth big money, but (with the exception of a few) we don't really have an emotional bond. You also don't see many homeless pythons wandering about, at least not in California, therefore it wouldn't be a death sentence to give them away. So it really depends on the situation, the specific pets, etc. You have the right to make those choices, and the right to feed them whatever, regardless of your current money source.

Btw, you know Cesar Millan the Dog Whisperer? He said (in his book) that homeless people and their dogs represent the perfect pack-leader/follower relationship... it's the closest to a primal dog/wolf pack, free of leashes, treats, puppy school, and other human-created tools. These dogs simply respect their leader's authority, following them wherever they go, and also trust them to provide the basic necessities (which they usually do). There used to be this one homeless guy with a dog I'd pass frequently, and I'd sometimes stop at McDonald's to buy EACH of them a hamburger. Neither seemed to mind that it wasn't "ideal nutrition," LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-23-2010 at 02:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Many people caught in the hurricane Katrina would not leave because of their pets. If the pet wasn't going then they would not go. I heard in the future pets would be allowed to go with the owners to safety.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:27 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Stock up on chicken when its on sale & feed your dogs that. Just cook it like you would every day. My cats love chicken & turkey. Dog & cat food sure is getting high & the big bags of dry cat food have gotten smaller by a min of 2 lbs. Greed !

Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I know that you can't buy real "dog food" with food stamps, but, you can make your own dog food from people food. I'm not even sure what I think on this one Guide me please with your opinions.
No such thing as human food versus dog food in nature. That is something manufactured by "dog food companies" Most commercial "dog food" is garbage. Dogs eat meat, vegetables, and whatever else they can get their paws on.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:14 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,923 times
You must be kidding me ??!!
You are talking about food stamp recipients for goodness sake . They sell their card at 75 cents on the dollar to buy CRACK !
Not all but some . If I thought it were all going to dogs and cats or bird and rats even , I would feel better about the whole program .

Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
I have listened to a welfare bum in front of me at the grocery store tell a clerk that she is buying hamburger for her dogs because they love it.

After the clerk kindly asked her are you having a large cookout or something?

Guessing 20-30 pounds easily of just hamburger that was paid for with tax payer freebie money.

These people need to be arrested for thief is they do this.

This woman was plenty healthy enough to be WORKING and EARNING her own keep let along stealing taxpayer money to feed her animals.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
sunny you can't always till if someone is able bodied enough to work and support themselves by the look of them. if someone wants to spend all their food stamp allotment on food to feed their pet then they will have to figure out how to feed themselves for the entire month, not many people would do that.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:39 PM

1,081 posts, read 915,786 times
It's all good, according to Fancy Pelosi. Didn't she say foodstamps would bring this country back on it's feet?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am not passing judgment one way or the other, but it would be virtually impossible for anyone to determine whether food stamps are being used to feed themselves and their family, or their pets, or both.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Thanks Sindey

Well I'm going to chime in here as I AM on food stamps, now that my unemployment benefits have run out. 2 1/2 years ago before I lost my job I had 3 pets, 2 dogs and 1 cat. One of my dogs was actually a puppy, a well bred sheltie that I'd spend several years looking for to compete in obedience he was to have been my first competition dog.

After I lost my job, and couldn't find another I re-homed my puppy to a man and his grandson that he was raising alone. Recently I re-homed my cat to a farm in KY. It was heart breaking on so many levels I can't begin to explain.

The 2nd dog is a rescued JRT that I've had for over 10 years, he is a heart dog, a constant companion. Living alone in a rural area is great if you have funds to get out but when you don't it gets pretty lonely. My JRT Gator, has been a wonderful companion and re-homing him at his age is just not an option. Several months ago I almost lost him, but thanks to some friends he got the emergency surgery he needed and is back to his normal self. I feed him Taste of the Wild a premium dog food, how do I do it? He's only 20lbs and a 5lb bag of dog food last me about 3 1/2 months so I scrape together the money to feed him, recently a friend who does compete was at a dog show and they were giving away samples of TOW and she brought me enough to last for another 2 1/2 months.

Many of us in today's world had jobs until recently, we weren't always poor and unemployed. We aquired these beloved pets at a time when we could afford them.

This little old man has given me all he has to give in this world and to re-home him would be a cruel death sentence, he doesn't care where he is as long as it's with me and it will be, even if we are living in a tent.
I am so sorry that you had to give up two of your pets. It really is sad and you are not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies