Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 11:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times

Advertisements

I never once considered approaching my parents for advice about relationships--after all, I didn't have a good relationship with THEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 11:26 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't believe the claim that second hand smoke leads to cancer.
But you understand my meaning. Don't be dense.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:27 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
I didn't say that a child is better off in the foster system.

You all are the ones who repeatedly try to compare apples with oranges. This is yet another example. Foster care is less than ideal. If you want to compare homosexual couples who adopt against heterosexual couples who adopt, lets look at the Beach family. They have 4 children of their own but still lovingly adopted 9 children, some of whom have very special needs. They were on Extreme Makeover Home Edition last Easter. If you can, watch the show. You will see some absolutely amaaaazing young men. Why are they amazing? They have amazing parents.
Okay, comparing apples to apples - they are amazing parents, just as many adoptive gay couples are amazing parents. We also have lousy straight parents, and I'm sure there are lousy gay parents too. Their sexual identity has little if anything to do with parenting skills, and as I said above, both gay & straight parents will face situations they find challenging. Why not give the gay couples a chance, and SEE if they can handle these challenges? Whoops - they already are raising children, so I guess marriage rights wouldn't change much anyway (in terms of parenting).

Old 12-25-2010, 11:28 AM

I may understand what you're trying to say, but that doesn't mean I AGREE with it.

One is not a direct or indirect result of the other.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
But you understand my meaning. Don't be dense.
I don't... since you want to compare SAME situations, how does the physical effect of smoke compare to your neighbor's marital status? Do you have anyone in your community who is a single parent? If so, did that directly affect your relationships & ability to raise children? Still not seeing how this is possible.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I never once considered approaching my parents for advice about relationships--after all, I didn't have a good relationship with THEM.
Well, you aren't a good example, are you?

What about the kids who do have a good relationship with their parents? Might they turn to them for advice? Obviously they could. Can the parents help? Well, the parents at least have experience with heterosexual romantic relationships, right? They might be able to help.

What about kids who have have a good relationship with their homosexual parents? Might they turn to THEM for advice? Sure. But how helpful will the homosexual parents be in answering the specific issue of gender differences?

And it doesn't just have to do with advice. Heterosexual parents who are obviously very different because of their gender getting along well and clearly being in love with each other gives the children an example and at least something to look forward to. At least the boy can say, "I want to treat my wife the way my Dad treats my Mom." The best a boy who is raised by homosexual parents can say is "I want to treat my wife with the same kind of love and respect my parents have for each other." It doesn't address gender differences.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Well, you aren't a good example, are you?

What about the kids who do have a good relationship with their parents? Might they turn to them for advice? Obviously they could. Can the parents help? Well, the parents at least have experience with heterosexual romantic relationships, right? They might be able to help.

What about kids who have have a good relationship with their homosexual parents? Might they turn to THEM for advice? Sure. But how helpful will the homosexual parents be in answering the specific issue of gender differences?

And it doesn't just have to do with advice. Heterosexual parents who are obviously very different because of their gender getting along well and clearly being in love with each other gives the children an example and at least something to look forward to. At least the boy can say, "I want to treat my wife the way my Dad treats my Mom." The best a boy who is raised by homosexual parents can say is "I want to treat my wife with the same kind of love and respect my parents have for each other." It doesn't address gender differences.
No, they are much more likely to approach their peers than an adult. At least, that's what has been historically shown to be the case.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay, comparing apples to apples - they are amazing parents, just as many adoptive gay couples are amazing parents. We also have lousy straight parents, and I'm sure there are lousy gay parents too. Their sexual identity has little if anything to do with parenting skills, and as I said above, both gay & straight parents will face situations they find challenging. Why not give the gay couples a chance, and SEE if they can handle these challenges? Whoops - they already are raising children
Yes, but gay parents will ALWAYS have a deficiency. No matter how GREAT of a parent they are, there will still be differences between their relationship and the romantic relationships of their heterosexual children. Now do you understand? No matter how GREAT of a parent they are, they won't ever be able to compare to a great pair of heterosexual parents.

The best homosexual couple will not raise their heterosexual kids as well as the best heterosexual couple.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I didn't see that question. Sorry.

You do make a good point but a lot of homosexuals deal with that very question don't they? They have trouble with it, right? A lot of heterosexual parents really do NOT know how to deal with their homosexual children's orientation. And if they are willing to give advice, they must do the best they can because that's all they can do. But a heterosexual couple CAN do better than that when he is dealing with his heterosexual kid's problems with his or her girlfriend or boyfriend. The parent does have real experience with it.
As it's already been stated, every parent will face something they're not familiar with... so you're just picking & choosing here, by ONLY having a problem with gay parents talking to their straight children. Everyone else can figure it out, apparently, but you seem to think homosexuals are less capable of this - which is complete bull, plain and simple. We've already shown studies proving gay parents can raise children well, and a gay poster herself said her children are doing GREAT. Experiment is complete, so let them live their lives already.

Quote:
Racial differences aren't as profound as gender differences. I feel that for inter-faith relationships to survive, one of both of the couple must not be very religious. If they are, then they aren't serving their religion very well by being mated to someone who doesn't share their faith. So it doesn't really compare.It's just not obvious.
You said "it's just different" - and so are inter-faith & interracial relationships. Each have their own challenges, as I know personally, having NEVER dated within my race or faith. How could I, as a Jewish white woman, understand how to raise a child who is biracial? It might have some challenges, but I'm quite certain I could succeed.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't... since you want to compare SAME situations, how does the physical effect of smoke compare to your neighbor's marital status? Do you have anyone in your community who is a single parent? If so, did that directly affect your relationships & ability to raise children?
Actually their situation DOES affect me. More single parents means more kids are raised without adequate supervision and that in turn means more kids get into crime. And that can affect my life. If I get shot by a gangbanger I'll be just as dead as I would if I get lung cancer from second hand smoke. And even if I don't get cancer from the second hand smoke, it still affects me. I get headaches from second hand smoke.

Why do I have to point this stuff out? It's not rocket science. Cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies