Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You are the selfish one for longing for "the good old days" when women were second class citizens and were controlled by men.
I refuse to describe you as ignorant for or posting such an absurd exaggeration, which insults the countless women whose lives were lived honorably, as partners to their husbands and as loving nurturers of their children. Instead, I will consider your viciousness yet more proof of the feminist need to demonstrate that women can be the equal of men in callousness.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I don't care what they look like before they're born. If they're in MY womb, they're coming out. Alive, dead, I really don't give a damn. I had my tubes tied to prevent pregnancy. However, there exists a -very- rare chance of pregnancy, post-tubal ligation. It's not just that I don't want kids. It's that I don't want to ever be pregnant. THAT is my choice. It is currently legal for me to exercise my choice. If I became pregnant, as that rare occurrence, I would make a beeline to the nearest Hoover and get that bad boy sucked out.

Until it is *viable* without being physically attached to its host, it is a parasite. I don't care if it sucks its thumb, gets a boner, and cries "mama" while in the womb. It's a growth in my body, I don't want it, and it's coming out.

How about all you "OMG U R KILLING TEH CHILDRENZ!" people line up to adopt every single unwanted child in this country, who was born because their mothers were talked out of abortion? I see the psycho religious freaks outside Planned Parenthood, with photographs on signs raised up in the air, screaming at passersby and scaring the living daylights out of ALREADY frightened women who enter the doors.. I stopped for one of these freaks, and asked how many kids he adopted. He said none. I was not surprised. They want to order strangers what they can and cannot do with their bodies, but they refuse to accept responsibility for those ultimatums.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
many, many women have no regret at all as the choice was the best one made for herself. kinda hard to rip a child limb from limb when it doesn't have any. dial down the drama
The fetuses clearly have limbs and all the other human body parts. How can you not see that?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisthea View Post
How totally horrible!!!! This makes me son unbelievable angry
Whatever your stance I hope nobody can look at these photos and feel nothing at all. Even if they're pro-abortion it should make them uncomfortable.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't care what they look like before they're born. If they're in MY womb, they're coming out. Alive, dead, I really don't give a damn. I had my tubes tied to prevent pregnancy. However, there exists a -very- rare chance of pregnancy, post-tubal ligation. It's not just that I don't want kids. It's that I don't want to ever be pregnant. THAT is my choice. It is currently legal for me to exercise my choice. If I became pregnant, as that rare occurrence, I would make a beeline to the nearest Hoover and get that bad boy sucked out.

Until it is *viable* without being physically attached to its host, it is a parasite. I don't care if it sucks its thumb, gets a boner, and cries "mama" while in the womb. It's a growth in my body, I don't want it, and it's coming out.

How about all you "OMG U R KILLING TEH CHILDRENZ!" people line up to adopt every single unwanted child in this country, who was born because their mothers were talked out of abortion? I see the psycho religious freaks outside Planned Parenthood, with photographs on signs raised up in the air, screaming at passersby and scaring the living daylights out of ALREADY frightened women who enter the doors.. I stopped for one of these freaks, and asked how many kids he adopted. He said none. I was not surprised. They want to order strangers what they can and cannot do with their bodies, but they refuse to accept responsibility for those ultimatums.
Deep down this is what alot of them won't admit to. They don't really care even IF the baby is conscious and alive and kicking. If they did, they'd at least ensure that was not the case before believing in abortion.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
A woman's right to choose abortion or to choose to continue with a pregnancy stems from the ethical concept of autonomy. Respect for autonomy is the reason that our society does not force organ donation, even if someone will die if they don't receive a transplant. In fact, our respect for autonomy extends beyond the living because even a person who is pronounced dead cannot be forced to donate organs against the consent of the individual or the remaining family members. Furthermore, the right to autonomy is upheld even if the individual refusing to donate in some ways caused the other individual to be placed in peril (i.e. - caused a car crash that injured the other).

Autonomy is the reason that doctors who exceed the scope of a patient's consent may be charged with battery. This is true even if the doctor's actions actually place the patient in better overall health than without the unwanted intervention.

I am not saying that forced organ donation or forced medical procedures are completely analogous with the abortion issue. Certainly some would argue that it is a matter of invention vs. non-intervention. For instance, once a woman is pregnant, abortion requires intervention whereas continuing the pregnancy does not. However, I believe that understanding autonomy is vital to understanding a woman’s right to choose what happens to her body, including the right to choose an abortion.

The idea that people should only have sex when they are ready, willing and able to have a child is unrealistic. Even many married couples only want a couple of children (if they want any at all). Do advocates of abstinence really expect married couples to stop having sex once they have reached their desired number of children? That does not sound very healthy for their marriage or overall wellbeing. Certainly I hope that couples who do not want children will use birth control, but I am also not naïve enough to believe that birth control is 100% effective.

I have seen many mentions of adoption in this thread. Adoption and abortion are different issues. Adoption is a choice for one who has chosen to continue a pregnancy but cannot or does not want to parent. Adoption is not a helpful option for women who do not want to continue with a pregnancy.

I have met some “pro-life” people who stare and make rude comments to pregnant teens. If they are truly “pro-life” shouldn’t they congratulate her on her choice to not terminate instead of trying to make her feel ashamed? Some “pro-lifers” demand an end to abortion but try to cut social programs such as Welfare that help feed, house and clothe children born into poverty. I do not understand this mentality. Would it not make sense to try to reduce abortions by providing support to struggling women so that they can raise their children?

I recognize that the idea of abortion is morally repulsive to many. However, many also find the idea of forcing a woman to endure pregnancy against her will to be morally repulsive. It is a sensitive issue with many considerations which is exactly why abortion should be left to the individual to decide.

Personally, I wish that pregnancy only occurred for those ready, willing and able to have a child. Unfortunately this is not always the case. Given this reality, I can only hope that as a society the autonomy of women is respected enough to uphold the right to choose.

Finally, I have to say that it saddens me that as a society we put so much energy into the abortion issue when UNICEF reports that 22,000 children die every day from preventable causes. Everyone should be able to agree that that statistic is horrific. I do not believe that those children are getting nearly enough attention and there is no ambiguity about those children being fully functioning human beings.
Intervention should only occur for the health of the mother (and I mean real reasons, not I'm afraid of stretch marks!). In most cases pregnancy is a perfectly natural part of life. It's akin to saying a doctor should give our recreational drugs because people have to right to do/feel something that is not natural.

Here's an idea: people who don't want children should get sterilized. Those who do not want any more should also get sterilized. If abortion is 100% effective why doesn't science work towards making it so. Why would abortions agencies like Planned Parenthood be against it? Because like petroleum companies this is the core of their business.

I do not understand this mentality either. That's not helping the cause either.

The problem is that since abortions became available many people have been getting them for virtually ANY reason. Only a minority are hard-cases, and nobody can argue with the statistics. The fact is legalizing abortion means many more abortions. This is what they want, though, I'm sure some of them are celebrating every time a woman exercises her right to choose.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I agree that more attention/aid needs to be paid to those children, but like the abortion debate, more attention needs to be paid to proper family planning and birth control BEFORE the baby comes into this world, whether in the womb or after.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 PM

18,385 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Whatever your stance I hope nobody can look at these photos and feel nothing at all. Even if they're pro-abortion it should make them uncomfortable.
no one is pro abortion

Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
no one is pro abortion
Supporting the right to have an abortion is supporting and endorsing it. If you voted for gays to have the right to marry, you wouldn't vote on the basis you hoped 'as few gay people would be married, but those who want to should be allowed to.'

If you think abortion is a good thing for women then you are pro-abortion.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
THE EFFECTS OF PREGNANCY - complications of pregnancy

Read and learn. Pregnancy and childbirth is a very big deal that no woman should ever be forced into just because there was a hole in the rubber.
Over dramatic much?

If a woman doesn't want children she shouldn't be sexually active; or, she should be certain there is next to no possibility she can conceive, not kill the baby in-utero because she was irresponsible.

Contraception control is the responsibility of BOTH of the individuals participating in sex, not just one.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM

I think this article rings true. Some Right-wing groups have hijacked the abortion issue and some of them don't even care that much about life.

Abortion is a life/death and human rights issue first...the association with politics has made it an issue of 'women's rights'.

The Liberal Case Against Abortion - Pro-Life Liberals - Publications - The Writings of Vasu S. Murti: Human Rights - Social Justice - Animal Rights - Peace - Love - Compassion - Kindness - Gentleness - Religion - Soul - Spirit - Knowledge - Wisdom -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies