Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I remember when my cousin was prescribed Ritalin in the late '70's because he was so-called "hyperactive" as I remember he was around 8 years old. As a response to all his "high energy" his parents enrolled him in martial arts classes, and team sports. I think he grew out of it as he got older, and doesn't take any pills today for it. Makes me wonder if some of these drugs prescribed for children to control their moods are totally unnecessary.
A friend of mine has two son's they were both on drugs for ADD and were always in trouble at home and at school, both kids stopped taking the drugs after high school and straighten out, one went on to college and one into the military, bothed turned out well, I wonder how it would have beenif they stayed on the drugs. Kids need to be kids, if they did this stuff when i was a kid I probably would have been on a few meds and disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
It is obvious that some of you know very little about ADD/ADHD or the ways in which it is effectively treated. ADD/ADHD is not diagnosed just because a child has a bad case of the wiggles.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
It is obvious that some of you know very little about ADD/ADHD or the ways in which it is effectively treated. ADD/ADHD is not diagnosed just because a child has a bad case of the wiggles.
Well then a 700% increase since the 1990's in American children diagnosed with some form of ADHD and on meds should give someone some cause for concern.

And if not, then we found our answer for why American education is falling compared to other countries in the world.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then a 700% increase since the 1990's in American children diagnosed with some form of ADHD and on meds should give someone some cause for concern.

And if not, then we found our answer for why American education is falling compared to other countries in the world.
but the problem is that during the 70's , 80's, and 90's a lot changed as far as diagnosing and labeling

(I am 52) I was labeled as a child as "hyperactive" (there was no add/hd at that time), they said the possibe cause was ....SALT....go figure that

prior to the 1970/80's autistics were know as childhood schiztzophenia (sp?)

Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
I wonder whatever happened to the millions of people suffering from ADD and ADHD before it was classified as a disease, and a drug treatment protocol was designed.

Or, is it truly a new disease?

My sister says that if they had known then, what they know now, I would have been diagnosed as an attention deficit, bi-polarbearic, heady delinquent, when I was a kid.

In the sixties, people kept saying I was a "head".

But, in reality, I was probably just ahead.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I wonder whatever happened to the millions of people suffering from ADD and ADHD before it was classified as a disease, and a drug treatment protocol was designed.

Or, is it truly a new disease?
If it is a new disease then it's mostly in the US as we consume 80% of the world supply of Ritalin. I think we're just a drug happy nation.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
As long as the government (FDA) can succeed in keeping them away from that evil scourge, Marijuana! Remember, Uncle Sam knows best!!!........

Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
But whatever you do...and I mean WHATEVER you do, don't touch any of those highly dangerous marijuana cigarettes!

Instead, if you're feeling down we'll give you some Prozac or Zoloft to lift your mood.

If you are having trouble sleeping, don't use a safe and effective natural plant. We have all sorts of wonderful drugs like Ambien and Lunesta with a whole range of terrible side effects.

Do you have a condition that causes pain, especially in the nerves? Don't use a medicine that's been safely consumed for 10,000 years and is considered one of the most effective treatments for neural pain. We'll give you some highly addictive and often deadly FDA-approved pain-killers. Oxys, Hydrocodone...take your pick.

This is whats wrong with our country. People freely consume DEADLY (like...over 100,000 people per year deadly) pharmaceuticals, which are of course approved by the trustworthy FDA, yet try and make it illegal for someone to use a plant that grows out of soil in nearly every climate, and is ready to use in it's raw state.

I'm not saying that cannabis is the best treatment for all medical conditions, and I certainly am not advocating that all children should be using it. Just pointing out the absolute hypocrisy in a lot of people's thinking. The same people who support locking me up for smoking pot (or I can vaporize or cook with it to negate any "smoking is bad" argument) have no problem going to the doctor to get their magic pills for all of the conditions they've been tricked into thinking they have. It's pretty funny actually.

Excuse my french, but **** big pharma and the FDA. The majority of kids don't need to be taking drugs of any kind (weed included)...period.

Parents sit there and feed their kids sodas, energy drinks, candy bars, and other highly processed and sugar-laden foods and then wonder why their kids are acting hyper. Give me a ****ing break people! Instead of giving your kid Ritalin how about you DON'T give your kid Redbull energy drinks every morning, a coke for lunch, a butterfinger at snack time, and ice cream for dessert.
exactly, add and adhd is very controllable with a good diet, its all the additives and food colorings, pesticides, herbacides, and environmental toxins that are causing it.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Yes, but it is one of the most misdiagnosed illnesses in our country. Many children are being diagnosed by those that don't have the authority or education to determine that a child or adult for that matter, has ADD/ADHD. It should take months to diagnose someone with ADD or ADHD but as it stands in many states right now, it is being diagnosed too quickly. Therefore our education system is compensating by offering more special needs education. It is actually quite disheartening and far too easy. If anything, it is letting down a future generation and frankly they deserve a lot more from us. We shouldn't give up so easy and settle for a pill like it isn't such a big deal because it really is. That diagnosis will stick with someone for the rest of their life regardless if correct or not.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Yes, but it is one of the most misdiagnosed illnesses in our country. Many children are being diagnosed by those that don't have the authority or education to determine that a child or adult for that matter, has ADD/ADHD. It should take months to diagnose someone with ADD or ADHD but as it stands in many states right now, it is being diagnosed too quickly. Therefore our education system is compensating by offering more special needs education. It is actually quite disheartening and far too easy. If anything, it is letting down a future generation and frankly they deserve a lot more from us. We shouldn't give up so easy and settle for a pill like it isn't such a big deal because it really is. That diagnosis will stick with someone for the rest of their life regardless if correct or not.
Drug first, ask questions later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies