Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

We get more snow every year in Vermont and you don't see national headlines over it. I remember a few years back 2 feet of snow overnight didn't even shut everything down. Must be people in NYC are less able to handle things on their own. That urban, dependence, mindset, maybe.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
After paying such high taxes the people of NY expect their streets cleaned after such a storm. I for one can't blame them.
They aren't being cleared?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,177 times
Just a word to the wise...I saw some video of NYC and those cars currently snowed in....and plowed in....should be dug out before that "bank" freezes....once that happens nothing will get moved...If I owned a vehicle in NYC I would be shoveling...and not waiting for the city......

Old 12-29-2010, 07:37 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Just a word to the wise...I saw some video of NYC and those cars currently snowed in....and plowed in....should be dug out before that "bank" freezes....once that happens nothing will get moved...If I owned a vehicle in NYC I would be shoveling...and not waiting for the city......
But that's just hard work for them to do. They can't do that.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Is NYC really the center of the whole universe?
Apparently! We get storms like that in Denver, and the national media doesn't pay a bit of attention.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:

Mmmm, yes.....

Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
They do like to think so.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Apparently! We get storms like that in Denver, and the national media doesn't pay a bit of attention.

You people in snowy climes make me laugh. Of course 2 feet of snow in Denver doesn't make the news, it happens there regularly. It doesn't happen in NYC regularly. See? That is why it is news.

By the way Denver has made national media plenty because of snow. One example.

Blizzard shuts down Denver and major highways, strands thousands | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon - Portland, Oregon | National & World News

Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You people in snowy climes make me laugh. Of course 2 feet of snow in Denver doesn't make the news, it happens there regularly. It doesn't happen in NYC regularly. See? That is why it is news.

Blizzard shuts down Denver and major highways, strands thousands | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon - Portland, Oregon | National & World News
This would explain the abnormally slow response by those responsible for clearing the snow.

Complaining about it is like me complaining about the 'flooding' and the heavy rain here.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

It's funny what easterners believe about Denver. We don't get a two foot snowfall every year. In fact, you will note that the month with the highest snowfall is March, with an average of about 12 inches, TOTAL.

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Denver, Colorado, United States of America

Your one article does not negate the many snows we've had that have never merited a whisper on the national news. Meanwhile, any big snowfall in NYC or DC is hyped to the limit. In point of fact, in some months, the average snowfall in NYC is higher than that of Denver.

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for New York, New York, United States of America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies