Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What percentage of slaves do you think became doctors?

Do you think it was possible that EVERY slave could become a doctor?
They would just need to apply themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
There are a certain percentage of people that will only believe what they will & cannot ever have their minds changed even if hit in the face with the truth.
History repeating itself bigtime.
Thank God they have their health & the health of their families & were lucky enough to have made it in society. To a small few, there are no excuses, none at all.
Thankfully & hopefully life altering,devastating things haven't happened to them & never will because they probably couldn't handle it.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
They would just need to apply themselves.
You really, really think that?

You really think that there was enough of a market for doctors that EVERY slave could have become a doctor?

Come on.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
You really, really think that?

You really think that there was enough of a market for doctors that EVERY slave could have become a doctor?

Come on.
You jest hafta threaten to throw them over a cliff if they don't pass all their med-school exams.

Once they get the gist of it, they'll do fine.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:14 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Only an idiot would blame all poor people, or those on assistance, for being so.

Damn right some people are. Those on drugs, those who are mentally ill and refuse meds, those who simply can't get along in a normal job.

Blaming everyone assigns those traits to people who are ill (Lupus, Cancer, severe injury) and can't work, or are bankrupted by medical bills. Nothing like some jackhole telling you that you are a slacker because some drunk ran into you, or you have a $30k bill for surgery. People who blame others for that should get to experience it themselves.

It also lumps those with family issues. I knew a girl who was repeatedly raped and beaten by her father, till she took off. She got assistance (welfare, then school), worked hard and became a lawyer helping prosecute people like this. She would have been classed as poor for a number of years, would she really be to blame? Can't say she wasn't because of what she became...you never know what would happen in the future at the time.

Everyone is different and people never know what some one's story is by making insane blanket statements.

The great thing about social democracies is that they give everyone an opportunity, it is up to that person to make it for themselves. Ranting about the evils of them by those who don't need them hurts us all.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You jest hafta threaten to throw them over a cliff if they don't pass all their med-school exams.

Once they get the gist of it, they'll do fine.
Didn't think you had anything to contribute to the discussion. Thanks for clearing it up.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Me?

I Got me a nice picnic basket filled with rubber gloves, chemicals and abrasives, with which to start going door to door offering to clean toilets, bathtubs and sinks at the rate of $10, $10 and $5 respectively.

I'll probably be able to retire in 5 years.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Poor people. Only themselves to blame?

Not always but many are. I've known people that could work, they worked harder trying to avoid a job than most do at work. I know some right now that choose to smoke weed and drink beer over having a job and then I know a few people who just can't catch that break that would lift them up.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan_be View Post
What do you think?

I'm reading this and getting pretty upset here. How about the homeless war heroes that never got proper treatment from the government thus leading a mentally unhealthy life with PTSD, sleeping in the streets because they have no family?

Did you hear about the story of a man who lost his leg to a bomb in Afganistan that returned home but wasn't granted any extra money to repair his house because he didn't lose both legs?

I feel bad, I really do. But for people in poverty because of drugs, no. I think they deserve what they put themselves into.

It's all because of circumstance.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I'd agree with Driller1

It used to be that people took responsibility for themselves as opposed to pointing fingers and didn't exhibit the entitlement mentality we see far too often today, We now have generations that know nothing but government assistance

People had morals. People had respect. People had a sense of pride.
Complete nonsense. There were no mythical times where people were as you say they were.

And people still have morals, respect, and pride. Nothing has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies