Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 AM

338 posts, read 310,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well if anything, it's good to see that it's just not the United States that is burdened with self-loathing moral elitists.

Why, thanks!

We too have our share of people who let themselves be blinded by flag-waving and proud national anthems.
They tend to ignore sad historical facts, too, and generally like to criticize the "classe politique", those "elitist fools in the capital who try to wreck our nice country", while profiting from federal wellfare and a boatload of other subsidies.

I guess that's another thing we have in common...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Oh I have been to Switzerland and it's an awesome country with crime rates just as low as in scandinavia. Absolutely no need for guns, thank you.
But they HAVE guns...actual military rifles...in people's homes.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But they HAVE guns...actual military rifles...in people's homes.
Yes they do. The neat thing is being in the country when they get called up...something i've had the pleasure of seeing in person. You've got all these dudes with full military gear and assault rifles riding around on the trains.

Still though, the gun culture there is very different than it is here.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
Switzerland has remained free because we do the dirty financial work for the world's crooked super-rich or dictators, aka "bank secrecy laws".

It's good to have a place where you can move money and resources around without having to report on them. Blood diamonds, anyone?

Our militia system isn't what saved us from the Nazis, the money-laundering of confiscated jewish fortunes and the possibility to buy black market weapons from us was. Sad but true.

If faced with enemy military forces, our army would be toast in two/three days max.
Without the strong defense, Hitler would have had no issue taking Switzerland, and taking all the gold, etc., with it.

You'd last longer than 2 or 3 days, and may well have won or at least held out until the allied victory during WWII.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:07 AM

338 posts, read 310,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Without the strong defense, Hitler would have had no issue taking Switzerland, and taking all the gold, etc., with it.

You'd last longer than 2 or 3 days, and may well have won or at least held out until the allied victory during WWII.

The swiss defensive strategy was based on (and still partly is) on funneling opposing forces to defensive choke-points that could be held for a week or two. This was to buy time to destroy transportation infrastructure, and to get military and political leadership to strongholds in the mountains.

Switzerland's value wasn't (and isn't) resources (natural or personal), and it wasn't (and isn't) the actual gold that lies in our banks.

It's the transalpine tunnels and passes, which would have been destroyed. And it's the image as eternally neutral country with vague banking laws that allows waring parties to move money and buy material without conflicting with embargoes etc.

Hitler didn't need to actually conquer us, he got what he wanted anyway:

Switzerland allowed for troop- and material-transportation (in trains that had their windows nailed shut), and it dealt freely with both Axis and Allies.

The few soldiers on the front was Switzerland putting on a brave face, they wouldn't have mattered.

As it was, Switzerland gave Hitler what he wanted. If he tried to conquer Switzerland with actual forces, he wouldn't have gotten it.

Switzerland rolled over and cooperated with the Nazis, simple as that.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
The swiss defensive strategy was based on (and still partly is) on funneling opposing forces to defensive choke-points that could be held for a week or two. This was to buy time to destroy transportation infrastructure, and to get military and political leadership to strongholds in the mountains.

Switzerland's value wasn't (and isn't) resources (natural or personal), and it wasn't (and isn't) the actual gold that lies in our banks.

It's the transalpine tunnels and passes, which would have been destroyed. And it's the image as eternally neutral country with vague banking laws that allows waring parties to move money and buy material without conflicting with embargoes etc.

Hitler didn't need to actually conquer us, he got what he wanted anyway:

Switzerland allowed for troop- and material-transportation (in trains that had their windows nailed shut), and it dealt freely with both Axis and Allies.

The few soldiers on the front was Switzerland putting on a brave face, they wouldn't have mattered.

As it was, Switzerland gave Hitler what he wanted. If he tried to conquer Switzerland with actual forces, he wouldn't have gotten it.

Switzerland rolled over and cooperated with the Nazis, simple as that.
I admire your honesty. I cannot imagine my Swiss friends saying anything like that.

Switzerland is cool. Someday I may live there. Not for the guns though. Where else can I have Italian, French, and German mistresses under the same roof.

Die Kaese is am besten in der Schweiz, aber der Bier is *******e.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yes they do. The neat thing is being in the country when they get called up...something i've had the pleasure of seeing in person. You've got all these dudes with full military gear and assault rifles riding around on the trains.

Still though, the gun culture there is very different than it is here.
Yes.it is like seeing pics from Israel,it is wild to see young girls in flip flops at a store with M-16's nonchalantly slung over their shoulders.

And yes we have a different culture,especially nowadays.
People forget that guns used to be for sale mail order and from the local Sears,no checks,just go in and buy it....

But then we all went crazy.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
The thought that the Swiss were Nazi-lites or even cooperated with the Nazis is ridiculous:

"In the course of the war, detailed invasion plans were drawn up by the German military command,[7] such as Operation Tannenbaum, but Switzerland was never attacked. Switzerland was able to remain independent through a combination of military deterrence, economic concessions to Germany, and good fortune as larger events during the war delayed an invasion. Attempts by Switzerland's small Nazi party to effect an Anschluss with Germany failed miserably, largely as a result of Switzerland's multicultural heritage, strong sense of national identity, and long tradition of direct democracy and civil liberties. The Swiss press vigorously criticized the Third Reich, often infuriating its leadership. Under General Henri Guisan, a massive mobilization of militia forces was ordered. The Swiss military strategy was changed from one of static defense at the borders, to a strategy of organized long-term attrition and withdrawal to strong, well-stockpiled positions high in the Alps known as the Réduit. This controversial strategy was essentially one of deterrence. The idea was to make clear to the Third Reich that the cost of an invasion would be very high. During an invasion, the Swiss Army would cede control of the economic heartland and population centers, but retain control of crucial rail links and passes in the Réduit."

Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I admire your honesty. I cannot imagine my Swiss friends saying anything like that.
It's because it's pure and utter bull**** as per my reference above. The cityfolks in Zurich and Geneva may believe in a lollipop and unicorn world where the civilians are at peace without guns and relative harmony can be preserved as they transition from a responsible and proud gunowner society to one of a universal gun ban, but it's certainly not the reality among many who have lived in Switzerland.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's because it's pure and utter bull**** as per my reference above. The cityfolks in Zurich and Geneva may believe in a lollipop and unicorn world where the civilians are at peace without guns and relative harmony can be preserved as they transition from a responsible and proud gunowner society to one of a universal gun ban, but it's certainly not the reality among many who have lived in Switzerland.

You have lost me. I was commenting on his statements of Switzerland during WWII, not Swiss domestic gun policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies