Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post

How do these people function day to day and pay bills to live, but cannot grasp the situation they're living in is really bizarre.
Because its an illness.
What is it about that one salient fact that you are failing to grasp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Because its an illness.
What is it about that one salient fact that you are failing to grasp?
What YOU fail to understand that at one point that individual could have done something and those around them could have took action instead of enabling this"illness".

It's not like a switch went off and they went from stable to sick overnight.

If you can grasp that you need to pay bills,purchase food and yet live in a motorhome with 96 cats with earmites and abcesses all over their bodies,dead animals in the fridge and can't grasp that reality.

Then you should not own ANY animals to torture and watch die. You have then PROVEN that you are incapable of dealing with your "Illness" and should be institutionalised in a Sanitarium.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
What YOU fail to understand that at one point that individual could have done something and those around them could have took action instead of enabling this"illness".

It's not like a switch went off and they went from stable to sick overnight.

If you can grasp that you need to pay bills,purchase food and yet live in a motorhome with 96 cats with earmites and abcesses all over their bodies,dead animals in the fridge and can't grasp that reality.

Then you should not own ANY animals to torture and watch die. You have then PROVEN that you are incapable of dealing with your "Illness" and should be institutionalised in a Sanitarium.
I am not speaking of the the animal ones, Sparky.
So tell me, where is the funding going to come from because you believe that people with mental illnesses need to be institutionalized?
You do know that the Gipper threw most of the mentally ill and handicapped out of institutions back in the early 80s, to save the govt money.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I am not speaking of the the animal ones, Sparky.
So tell me, where is the funding going to come from because you believe that people with mental illnesses need to be institutionalized?
You do know that the Gipper threw most of the mentally ill and handicapped out of institutions back in the early 80s, to save the govt money.
What does this have to do with Reagan?
If you are referring to some of the people profiled in Hoarders , quite a few owned properties that were worth something and the ones of retirement age had social security income. There are different levels of mental illness.Not all need to be institutionalized.

The guy with the cats obviously needs someone else to make decisions for him,if friends or family can't / won't take them in the Government needs to find funding, afterall it has enough money to take care of,feed,educate and incarcerate children of 12+ million Illegal Aliens doesn't it.

The Government and Society is already funding clean up,legal,criminal and Animal services to these people and some of hat money would be better spent proactively. BTW the Gipper was fortunate to have had friends,family and money to deal wth his problems.

And yes people with SEVERE mental illness need to be protected from themselves.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
What does this have to do with Reagan?
BTW the Gipper was fortunate to have had friends,family and money to deal wth his problems.
Go read my post again, and at least try to comprehend what I said.
I said nothing about the Great Communicators illness.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Go read my post again, and at least try to comprehend what I said.
I said nothing about the Great Communicators illness.
I haven't researched it and Yes cuts to social services by Reagan and more recently in Calif. by former Governor Schwarzenneggar were wrong.

This Country often times has it's priorities skewered, Americans should come first before Foreign aid,Illegal aliens,business subsidies and other things out there.

Our Seniors,disabled,children,economy,Vets,unemployed and poor should have a higher priority than the other things I mentioned.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I haven't researched it and Yes cuts to social services by Reagan and more recently in Calif. by former Governor Schwarzenneggar were wrong.

This Country often times has it's priorities skewered, Americans should come first before Foreign aid,Illegal aliens,business subsidies and other things out there.

Our Seniors,disabled,children,economy,Vets,unemployed and poor should have a higher priority than the other things I mentioned.
On that I will agree with you, wholeheartedly!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Even IF they checked more than likely it would continue,my point is that if you purposefully put yourself into that position you shouldn't be able to collect. If i shot myself in the leg deliberately I would be able to collect State disability checks in my State(Calif.). Would it be right?? Of couse not.
I understand what you are saying.

But, unfortunately, it doesn't work like that and as you already know.

Most of these people on Hoarders are more than OCD, they're full-fledged mentally ill and someone, who cares about them, calls the show to get free therapy for them, free de-crapifying of the home...b/c nothing else has worked.

And you are right. It doesn't mean that it won't continue.

With Hanna's episode - more people are upset for the animals than for Hanna. I get where they are coming from (hated to see that pregnant goat limping around) , but what I don't get is how someone will watch a show for a few seasons and then refuse to watch it ever again b/c they couldn't stand to see "those poor animals" living in crap.....while they never blinked twice and kept tuning in to see "those poor humans" living in crap.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 PM

^What really kills me about shows like this is the sensationalism of it all.
"Step right up to the 21st century freak show" and all that.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
If you watched the program there was a grossly Obese woman that stated she was collecting disability because of respiratory problems caused by her rabbits fecal dust (she must have had at least 50 inside the house) and others in the past that had other medical issues due to unsanitary,dangerous conditions caused by their hoarding.

And others that have fallen and broken bones trying to move around their trash strewn homes,including one woman who had most of her toes broken and gnaarled by breaking them trying to move around her house due to all the trash. Welfare and disability payments just enable these people to continue their hoarding.

If these people didn't have the Government subsidizing their stupidity, then they wouldn't have a place to hoard their trash,money and time to seek out and accumulate more junk.
Wasn't it years ago where the mentally ill and Sr. mentally ill were sent to a "home" or "away" to be cared for? Unfortunately today they are given checks to be left to fend for themselves. Family member can't always take care of their parents or mentally ill siblings and where do we put them without institutions or decent homes with caretakers to place them in? No one is checking in on these people and those who do can't do anything to help them until the law finally catches up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies