Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,927,763 times

Advertisements

As a parent,
Say what you mean
and DO what you SAY.
You don't have to lay a hand on your kids ever, just follow through.
It's harder to follow through, it takes maturity, and discipline on the parents
part, not the child's.
You can't start when they are 10 and think it will work.
It starts from the beginning of life, when they take their first steps.
ALso, don't think your kids deserve nothing.
They deserve good parents, a roof over their heads, food in their stomachs,
medical care when they need it, protection from retarded adults, and
preparation for life that is age appropriate.
That's parenting in a nutshell.
The hardest job I ever had, and you are always a parent for your whole
life. It doesn't end, the problems just get bigger and more complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And then they wonder why a teen might get a gun and blow away the uncle.
growing up and before I was growing up, parents had control, they spanked at will and I don't think there were many who shot thier uncles, parents or anyone else. They do it today cause they can claim they were misunderstood.

Nita

Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Agreed. There was a time that that was considered part of standard home training--respect for and deference to authority.
exactly: respect for authority was the key to growing up and knowing right from wrong. Today kids (many adults as well) think they can do and say what they want. I beleive they call it freedom of speech and what do you bet our forefathers intend for this to happen. Their idea of freedom didn't mean forget respect for authority and respect for your elders.

Nita

Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I was never spanked or whipped, I behaved properly and was respectful of people who treated others fairly, I matured fast, and took an interest in politics, world issues etc very early, I've also been complimented on my work ethics and morals in every job I've had since the age of 13.

I don't think any of my friends were punished physically, and the majority of them has turned into stand up citizens who contribute as much as the next guy.

If your theory is true (namely that society has problems due to lack of corporal punishment) how do you explain that? And what problems are you talking about in the first place?
People are different. Period.

You might as well say "If 99% of children wouldn't need vaccinations why are we being so needlessly cruel to the ones who don't." That's equally stupid, and based on the same fallacy.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,124,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
So there was a
video that came out yesterday about a teenager getting whoopped by his uncle for acting like a thug on Facebook. I feel a little embarrassed for the teen but I think his uncle did the right thing and, eventhough Im not a parent, I think it should be used in some occasions (not all of em tho)

So what do you think? Do you consider whipping children as discipline or child-abuse?

mas23
IMO, anything intended to cause pain is abuse.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,996,866 times
Is your supervisor aloud to whip you when you get out of hand?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,452,999 times
It's child abuse.

It's lazy, irresponsible parenting.

Reading this thread sickens me.

A bunch of you child hitters need to watch a few episodes of Super Nanny. I'm totally serious. You need an intervention.

There is never, ever a reason to lay a hand on a child in anger.

PERIOD.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was raised by a violent alcoholic step father with a fondness for hitting. When I got big enough I told him I would kill him if he touched me. The threat was sufficient because he realized I could and would beat him to death if he touched me. The only thing stopped me was I did not want to go to prison for pest control.

I can only conclude that a violent childhood results in a potentially violent adult. Controlling that violence, except for a tour in the River Boats in ‘Nam, has been a lifelong struggle.
I tend to agree with this. My husband went through an abusive childhood and finally when he was 16, he pushed his step-father over a chair and told him never to touch him again. That was the end of that. My husband thankfully is not a violent man but he is definitely desensitized to violence (real or fictional). Things that greatly bother me (I'm overly sensitive to it) don't even make him flinch, whereas a "normal" person would be at least bothered by it. This is not something that abusers tend to think about when they are whipping, slapping, punching and just beating the crap out of their kid to "teach him a lesson." It's all about power, not about discipline or being a good parent, and it has lasting effects on the child...and usually not in a positive way.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think it depends on the child, the age and the offense. Normally and the majority of the time right and wrong is instilled in children early and other forms of discipline are sufficient. I have seen children that defy this and require a stronger hand to keep them in line. I have encountered children that I would personally like to whip the dog pee out of.
Psychology can go a long way. If there is a child who is "hard to handle," there is much that can be done before resorting to violence. There is no place for violence when it comes to children or teens (IMO, there is no place for violence anywhere, but that is neither here nor there).

Old 02-06-2011, 11:59 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,452,999 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ss124hSWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTHy4vXqGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNiig8IBvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dy-F5qXzpo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci8fRgjNdbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUhAGAJf1es

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eacUmaql00

Gee, and all without resorting to slapping the kids around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies