Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I would still like to know exactly how the healthcare bill is a "job killing bill."
Take off the rose colored glasses, put down the kool aid, and slowly step away from the table.....

Mass. device firms see health law as burden - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/jobfind/news/healthcare/view.bg?articleid=1252494 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
How does the government "take billions of those dollars away from them?" What are you talking about? Furthermore when more people are on insurance, how would that kill jobs? Insurance stocks went up for a reason, because demand will be up and jobs will be created. With that physicians will have more patients, since they can now afford to see a PCP, pharmacies will fill more prescriptions, more kids can stay on insurance etc etc. Who will do all this work? I suggest you read an economics book, hope this helps.

Yikes do I havee to spoon feed you people try reading the link. Hers is an example from the link.

"Verizon said it was taking a $970 million charge against earnings because of the change in tax treatment of a subsidy it receives for retiree drug coverage. In addition, Verizon said it could be affected by a new tax on high-cost health plans that takes effect in 2018."

See? That is $970 million fewer dollars Verizon spends on their business.

Again what planet are you guys on? You are talking about all these new jobs that will be created because 30 million more people will be in the system. Well why weren't they in the system before? Because they couldn't afford it, they still can't it is the tax payer who will foot the bill for these 30 million more people. Hear that? It's a giant sucking sound of money out of your wallet and businesses bottom line.

It is so sad how economically illiterate this country is.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Take off the rose colored glasses, put down the kool aid, and slowly stepaway from the table.....

Mass. device firms see health law as burden - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/jobfind/news/healthcare/view.bg?articleid=1252494 - broken link)
Quote:
Massachusetts medical-device companies say they’ll cut back on operational costs - and jobs - after a planned 2.3 percent tax on their products is implemented in 2013, according to a new survey.
According to the Healthcare bill, who pays the 2.3% tax on their products? The manufacturer or the consumer?

How many more medical devices do you think would be sold if the 50 million people without healthcare coverage were able to get medical care?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yikes do I havee to spoon feed you people try reading the link. Hers is an example from the link.

"Verizon said it was taking a $970 million charge against earnings because of the change in tax treatment of a subsidy it receives for retiree drug coverage. In addition, Verizon said it could be affected by a new tax on high-cost health plans that takes effect in 2018."

Again what planet are you guys on? You are talking about all these new jobs that will be created because 30 million more people will be in the system. Well why weren't they in the system before? Because they couldn't afford it, they still can't it is the tax payer who will foot the bill for these 30 million more people. Hear that? It's a giant sucking sound of money out of your wallet and businesses bottom line.

So you are actually against employer based health insurance. I would agree with you on this. We need Universal Healthcare!

You watch how the jobs increase like wildfire when employers no longer have to provide costly health insurance as a benefit!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
So you are actually against employer based health insurance. I would agree with you on this. We need Universal Healthcare!

You watch how the jobs increase like wildfire when employers no longer have to provide costly health insurance as a benefit!

Yikes, you really don't get it do you? Tax laws were changed as part of Obamacare that made employer sponsored health care more expensive. I am not surpirised you are unaware of that fact as Congressman Waxman didn't know it either.

Thankfully your crazy notion will never be tested. But if employer sponsored health care ever went away, it would transfer the burden from them to the tax payer. You don't get something for nothing in this world.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,014 times
Quote:

I can understand a Verizon(other companies as well) stock holder being upset that they will no longer be able to double dip subsidy(tax payer) money via the subsidies. After all, it goes to the bottom line. I can understand the the Execs also, it ultimately goes to the bonuses as well.
But I miss the part about it costing jobs. The companies hire to satisfy demand for products and services, period. The costs of doing business are passed on to the consumer. Companies do not layoff people because their costs or taxes go up. That would be seriously dumb of them to do that. Now there may be some politicians that will tell you that Companies would do that, and there is some serious dumb associated with that, but it is not on the part of the politician.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yikes, you really don't get it do you? Tax laws were changed as part of Obamacare that made employer sponsored health care more expensive. I am not surpirised you are unaware of that fact as Congressman Waxman didn't know it either.

Thankfully your crazy notion will never be tested. But if employer sponsored health care ever went away, it would transfer the burden from them to the tax payer. You don't get something for nothing in this world.
Quote:
Q: Does the new health care law require workers to pay income tax on the value of employer-provided health insurance?
A: No. The value will appear on employees’ W-2 forms for information purposes, but will not be considered taxable income.
Health Care Law and W-2 Forms | FactCheck.org

????

Do you mean this?

Quote:
Employers with 50 or more full-time workers that do not offer health insurance coverage will pay an assessment of $2,000 per full-time worker (not including the first 30 workers) if any of their employees obtains premium tax credits through the newly created government funded health care insurance exchange. Employers that offer unaffordable coverage or coverage that does not cover at least 60 percent of allowable costs will pay $3,000 for any employee that receives a tax credit in the Exchange up to a cap of $2,000 for every full-time employee.
Employers that don't provide healthcare benefits (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/health-care/3206-new-taxes-tax-increases-in-healthcare-law - broken link)

Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
I just received a hospital bill for 84K for a FOUR-DAY hospital stay. That's in addition to 10K+ in doctor bills.

It looks like the health insurance company is refusing to pay (big surprise). That means I have to sell my house to pay the bills.

My life-long savings were in the house. That means, at age 58, I will be jobless (due to the medical condition), and penniless.

Thanks Republicans!
Is it their fault you didn't buy an insurance policy that didn't cover that?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I can understand a Verizon(other companies as well) stock holder being upset that they will no longer be able to double dip subsidy(tax payer) money via the subsidies. After all, it goes to the bottom line. I can understand the the Execs also, it ultimately goes to the bonuses as well.
But I miss the part about it costing jobs. The companies hire to satisfy demand for products and services, period. The costs of doing business are passed on to the consumer. Companies do not layoff people because their costs or taxes go up. That would be seriously dumb of them to do that. Now there may be some politicians that will tell you that Companies would do that, and there is some serious dumb associated with that, but it is not on the part of the politician.

Well sure they do you can't pass on costs forever to customers or they may try other options. Especially in communications there are many other alternatives to Verizon that are not equally affected. i.e. Skype.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Health Care Law and W-2 Forms | FactCheck.org

????

Do you mean this?

Employers that don't provide healthcare benefits (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/health-care/3206-new-taxes-tax-increases-in-healthcare-law - broken link)

OK why don't you try reading the link before you reply next. I am not going to cut and paste the entire thing for you. You are talking about a subject very different from the tax implications of Obamacare on corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies