Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
baby steps fb, baby steps.
There is an entire generation out there that has never seen CUTS.
I think we all realize that cuts in the core programs are coming.
We have been spending for so long that actually cutting or ending a program is foreign to some folks. And so long goes back through several administrations so I'm non partisan when I say that.

When you cut your household budget..don't you start with the small stuff that will least effect you and then move on to the bigger items next ?
More like "penny-wise and pound-foolish".

When I look at my houselhold budget, I look to see what are the biggest money-holes, and try to make some cuts there. Maybe the reason there are so many bankruptcies is that people are cutting their bubble gum budget when they should be looking at their house payment, their car payment, and other big money takers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't understand why you see this as a left / right issue. The military budget alone could offset much of our deficit if it was brought under control. What about subsidies to corporations?

The mistake many make is in equating simple household economics with global economics, which is not nearly as straight forward There are strings that can be pulled, investments made, moneys borrowed temporarily that sustain the market, improve its services, and/or expand it, without letting it collapse.

Just look at the successful GM investments. We've made money of the loans and saved 2 million jobs primarily in a region that would not have absorbed them. Even many Republicans who work in finance realized that, when the markets failed to produce jobs, the government had to step in to prevent catastrophe. Unfortunately, ideology from many in the tea party movement force them to resist that reality.

As the economy recovers, the role of government will be less and less. Obama's already making that wise leadership transition.
You are kidding with that statement..aren't you ?
The government IPO of GM was at a loss..not a profit.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:10 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Are you daring to be so arrogant as to infer that NPR is honest and provides any kind of unbiased programming? It's a far left, politically correct outlet that doesn't tolerate ANY kind of diversity of thought. Just look at the Juan Williams incident.

The US taxpayers should not be funding media, and certainly not a medium with a biased viewpoint. Get a clue.
If Juan Williams really was unjustly fired, perhaps he should sue NPR for contract violation. I'm sure he'd have no problem getting a lawyer to take the case, or getting Fox News to pay for it. Let the overly right wing biased supreme court destroy NPR.

Its been quite a few months though and he's merely chosen to publicly bash them. hmmmmmm...........

Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If Juan Williams really was unjustly fired, perhaps he should sue NPR for contract violation. I'm sure he'd have no problem getting a lawyer to take the case, or getting Fox News to pay for it. Let the overly right wing biased supreme court destroy NPR.

Its been quite a few months though and he's merely chosen to publicly bash them. hmmmmmm...........
Since it was he who broke the terms of the contract.....echo that hmmmmm.....

Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
I was talking about the loans.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
The loans they paid back early with other government money they borrowed from the Treasury ?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
You only know the facts if you seek out an independent source. the White House propaganda blog is not an independent source.

Quote:
You mean the $6+ billion they paid back....by borrowing from a government line of credit - that loan?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What is it that the Repubs hate so much about honest news and educational programming?

Lamborn wastes no time re-introducing bill to strip NPR funding | The Spot
Why did the head of NPR fire one of it's employees for exercising his right to free speech?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You only know the facts if you seek out an independent source. the White House propaganda blog is not an independent source.

You mean the $6+ billion they paid back....by borrowing from a government line of credit - that loan?
Eh... debatable. I've heard different accounts. In the end, they saved approximately 2 million jobs and kept our country from devolving into chaos and losing our industrial base, just as all the other auto industry countries did. So, it was worth the investment to stay competitive globally.

Anyway - that's tangential to the thread's core of NPR funding, not other business funding.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Why did the head of NPR fire one of it's employees for exercising his right to free speech?
That's not why he was fired. He breached his contractual agreement multiple times and, after many attempts to correct him, they had to let him go when he willingly did it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies