Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
If everything we say (or type) can be taken wrong by some deranged lunatic, we're in trouble.

Of course prayers go out to all.
Yes, it's a little unnerving how many actually seem to think this guy isn't a deranged lunatic. I suspect it's because they themselves are that lost from reality that this guy's stuff makes sense to them in some way.

The videos show him to have suffered psychotic breaks - they really made no sense - to someone sane anyhow.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,487,380 times
This could be the guy:

Collection : Photo Gallery: Tucson Festival of Books on Sunday

5,094 posts, read 5,444,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You missed again, sorry...wasn't my point. My point, one more time, was that the former governor used what she knew to be an incendiary metaphor, with, as Kat said, violent undertones. Now I'm sure the good former gov. didn't mean for anyone to take it literally, but with the epidemic of shootings in this country, she should have had the sense to choose a different metaphor, no matter how strongly that particular one appealed to her base.

The only thing anyone even knows for sure is that the shooter is a whackaloon. Of course he has the ultimate personal responsibility here.

But that in no way excuses the violent and divisive rhetoric being barfed up by the tea party.

Nope missed nothing. You are saying that we have to censor ourselves for fear some loon will take what we say literally. Censorship plain and simple.

I am unsure why people can not just say they hope all involved are well and blame the actual person that did it. Very sad.

6,884 posts, read 20,418,898 times
People here need to remember that Rep Giffords was a centrist, a former Republican who was a little more socially blue. She is not only for gun rights, she is a gun owner herself. She is also in favor of securing the border...so trying to paint this shooter as some sort of right-wing nut job making a political point is rather disingenuous.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:15 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,870,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, another one not overly familiar with the english language... oh well.

My dear, if I were selectively quoting, the sentence which you have pointed to would not be there to point to.

I guess you could call it cherry picking. I know that is a simple term...hate to make you stoop so low. Those so familiar with the language may be offended.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Man, no kidding on the selective quoting. ovcatto conveniently forgot to highlight the last point the shooter made: "No! I won't trust in God!" Do you know any Tea Partiers that don't believe or trust in God? I sure don't.
I sure don't. and I don't know of any righties/TP members who would have as their favorite video one of the US Flag being torched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
People here need to remember that Rep Giffords was a centrist, a former Republican who was a little more socially blue. She is not only for gun rights, she is a gun owner herself. She is also in favor of securing the border...so trying to paint this shooter as some sort of right-wing nut job making a political point is rather disingenuous.
I thought she was very much in favor of open borders and of course she was fervently pro-abortion but at the same time was for gun rights and made some liberals mad over something about Pelosi - but this clearly wasn't a left winger or right winger at least any with any trace of sanity.

It was probably like John Lennon's killer - he didn't have a real reason to kill John Lennon and was even a Beatles fan. Insanity could drive someone to seek their 15 minutes of fame with any famous person that gets close enough.

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Target stores use a (TARGET) as their corporate logo, should all the crazy people in the world start shooting up Target shoppers?
With crosshairs?

Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I sure don't. and I don't know of any righties/TP members who would have as their favorite video one of the US Flag being torched.
And with the song playing "let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor.....nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with me...."

Anyone who can't see this guy had psychotic breaks is probably on the same wavelengths as he is.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM

8,640 posts, read 10,167,253 times
My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their family/friends. I have a few friends who know Gabby both personally and work with her politically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies