Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Hardly anybody is talking about Loughner's drug use (Recenly deleted thread)

Salvia, Zeitgeist and the Tucson Shooter

I know that he was experimenting with the drug, or herb or whatever it is, salvia divinorum. And from what I hear, he used it quite frequently. . . . It’s like a hallucinogenic type of effect.”

--------------------------------------

Salvia: Legal Herb Hallucinogen Draws Teens, Critics

"Even experienced hallucinogen users say that the effects of Salvia divinorum are qualitatively and quantitatively different than any other hallucinogen that they have ever taken," Roth says. "It appears to cause an experience that we have dubbed 'spacio-temporal dislocation.'"

In other words, if the dose is strong enough, users take an instantaneous trip to another time and place, an experience many first-time users of salvia find too intense, disturbing and even frightening. Those who try salvia often don't like it and won't try it again.

Psychologists view Loughner as a man with 'serious mental issues going on'

Chances are, he's a full-blown schizophrenic, someone whose thinking has become so delusional and disorganized that the world he perceives bears increasingly little resemblance to reality, according to experts.

"Spacio-temporal dislocation" and "he lives in a world that bears little resemblance to reality". Maybe it's not the rhetoric - maybe it's the drugs.
Here's Newsweek...
Salvia and the Arizona Shooting

Typically, those who use Salvia are not able to do much, says Johnson. The limited intoxication period of Salvia, combined with its impairing effects on mobility, make it unlikely that Loughner used Salvia at the time of the shooting.

There is, however, at least one reported case of Salvia leading to a mental breakdown. “We had a case of a male who came in, 23 years old, and was actively psychotic,” says Peter Przekop, MD, an assistant professor of psychiatry at the Loma Linda University School of Medicine in California. “The only thing we could attach it to was the night before, he had smoked the XXX [high-strength] Salvia. We stabilized him, put him on medication, transferred him to the psych department. When we tried to gradually wean him off antipsychotics, the symptoms returned. This was permanent psychosis we suspect was brought on by this drug.”

Przekop, who published a letter detailing his case in the American Journal of Psychology, hypothesizes that the patient had a predisposition for mental illness brought on by Salvia use.

I will be curious to see if this takes hold. Apparently there are powers out there that have fought against making this drug illegal.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,959,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually, that's something that bothered me. Why wasn't McCain asked to speak? After all, this event was about all the victims and not just Rep. Giffords. McCain was very good friends with John Roll and is the senior Senator from Arizona. Thought that was odd.
Maybe he was asked. I don't know. He did cut short a fact finding trip to South America to attend.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Suspect's Downward Spiral

There is no evidence that Mr. Loughner had been diagnosed with a mental illness, and it is unclear whether Mr. Loughner ever received psychiatric treatment.

But the trove of records demonstrates more clearly than before how abruptly Mr. Loughner's life spiraled out of control. When his problems began in February, he had no disciplinary record, the school told police at the time.

Told about Mr. Loughner's behavior in other classes, including talking about "strapping bombs to babies," Mr. McGahee said, "It seemed obvious to me that he had mental problems, that he was disconnected from the class, that he lived in his own mind. It was like he was playing a scene from a movie in his own mind. He was speaking language X and everyone else was speaking language Y."

The more I read, the more I'm leaning to the effects of salvia messing up this kid's mind.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
wow, this is excellent!

Quote:
G. Michael Lemole Jr., the hospital's chief neurosurgeon, and Peter Rhee, the head of emergency care, said Giffords since then has also been able to sit on the edge of her bed and dangle her legs over the side, move both of her arms and legs and open both of her eyes.
Giffords reaches 'major milestone' in recovery
she is making astounding progress for such a horrible head wound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies