Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
It's debatable that the gunne was invented as a weapon, but with out it we might never have had cars, and or other cylinder driven pistons. Funny how something take off from other things.

I am not sure if a gun is a extention of a spear, /stick or a rock. Both sticks and rock alone are weapons, combined they made better weapons, and the gun is one or both.

Lots of families are brought together to target shoot, and spend quailty family time. I know, I know spending quality family time is old fashioned, and no one wants to do any of that stuff.
Quality time time shooting guns with the family. How about scrabble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
It's debatable that the gunne was invented as a weapon, but with out it we might never have had cars, and or other cylinder driven pistons. Funny how something take off from other things.

I am not sure if a gun is a extention of a spear, /stick or a rock. Both sticks and rock alone are weapons, combined they made better weapons, and the gun is one or both.

Lots of families are brought together to target shoot, and spend quailty family time. I know, I know spending quality family time is old fashioned, and no one wants to do any of that stuff.
Yup, nothing like good old family quality time teaching your kids how to use deadly weapons meant for killing people...That's what the Taliban do after all.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
all right, lets say we do in fact outlaw all guns, and get rid of them completely. whats next? knives? you do realize that i could kill you with a ballpoint pen if i wanted, so now do we outlaw ballpoint pens? how many times has a person decided to drink, and the get behind the wheel of a car, and plow into a crowd of people? why are we not calling for outlawing cars? or alcohol?

my point here is that a firearm is merely a tool. it cannot in and of itself kill someone, it requires a human agency to operate the mechanism by which a round is fired. the problem is not with the guns, it is with the people who wield those guns without regard for human life. and one more statistic that the gun grabbers will not tell you, while there are 30,000 deaths as a result of the use of a firearm, there are 1.5 MILLION crimes that are stopped annually by armed citizens. think about that one for a while.

people do need to be responsible and learn proper gun safety, but taking away guns from law abiding citizens is not the answer.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yup, nothing like good old family quality time teaching your kids how to use deadly weapons meant for killing people...That's what the Taliban do after all.

Naw I think you got that backwards. My father gave me a 22 rifle on my 6th birthday to use as I pleased, and keep in my room. I hade done some shooting with him before and with bigger guns.

When my son turned 6 I did the same thing, and today my son is a 1Lt and in the sand shooting at Taliban. My son is a really good shot with his rifles but my wife is better than him, but in a no combat role.

Yeah maybe you and hotair can meet up for shag and a game of scrabble.. With all this sexting n' stuff i didn't know anyone still played that game.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
rbohm, i think after guns it will be bath tubs, since the vertically challanged can't see not fall down. If you ask me stick shift cars have already been banned since not many can drive well enough to drive one. Always seems to be with libers that if they can't, no one else can, so they decide to ban what they can't.... I don't get it either.

They come as spectators to primitive events I attend and ask questions about if the food I am cooking can be eatten by man, since it is grilling over a real wood kindled fire.

The list of liber can't grows every day. Sure am glad I don't have to live by that non-sence.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
all right, lets say we do in fact outlaw all guns, and get rid of them completely. whats next? knives? you do realize that i could kill you with a ballpoint pen if i wanted, so now do we outlaw ballpoint pens? how many times has a person decided to drink, and the get behind the wheel of a car, and plow into a crowd of people? why are we not calling for outlawing cars? or alcohol?

my point here is that a firearm is merely a tool. it cannot in and of itself kill someone, it requires a human agency to operate the mechanism by which a round is fired. the problem is not with the guns, it is with the people who wield those guns without regard for human life. and one more statistic that the gun grabbers will not tell you, while there are 30,000 deaths as a result of the use of a firearm, there are 1.5 MILLION crimes that are stopped annually by armed citizens. think about that one for a while.

people do need to be responsible and learn proper gun safety, but taking away guns from law abiding citizens is not the answer.
Who say's we aren't? As I said just a couple posts back your argument is getting tiresome. If that is all you have. Give it up. You have to do much better to convince people at this point. Bruce Lee in his prime could not kill someone from 1/4mi with a ballpoint pen. The Ninja Master of your nightmares could not carry off the recent carnage with a knife. Give it up already. The only point you have is that it took the actions of a determined killer. We have licensing requirements for automobiles because of their size and power. What are the licensing requirements for gun ownership. It is not a rhetorical question.

Mac. I wouldn't exactly be proud to tell the world I still act like a caveman and prefer it to behaving civilized. Like being able to use modern spelling and grammar. How are we to achieve planetary space if we glorify our aboriginal beginnings? You do realize this planet never expected to host 6+ billion of anything like homo sapiens? If we don't find a way to use the moon to manufacture toxic products and dispose of nuclear, biological and other haz-mat our children are doomed. If we cannot eventually terraform Mars we will drown in a soup of our own garbage and industrial by-products like goldfish in an aquarium where the power goes out while the owners are on vacation.

I asked for a link to the ratio of defensive use of handguns not underlined text. Where is the link? And, tell me, if guns, of any kind, are so good at defending people, how come so many armed people are taken out by crazies? Seems to me that when someone wants to hurt someone then they can hurt someone. If they @#$% up trying, then you have a chance to save your life. If they don't... Bob is not your uncle. Enough guns for every man woman and child in America and still so much murder and mayhem... ... insanity: repeating the same incorrect and tired misinformation over and over expecting people to believe you...

H

Old 01-14-2011, 09:31 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:

not killing people, but self defense and discipline.

registration is just another step to confiscation, ask janet reno. that is what she believes.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Nothing like family time where parents teach their children the reality of life and death and the respect for weapons to which can be used to take or protect life.

I mean, those dirty terrible people are nothing like the naive parents who have no clue about guns, teach their children they are a taboo to which even they are clueless about only to have their thug children to which they take no part or responsibility in raising pick them up and use them as if they were a video game power trip!

Ah, yes, if only society could be as developed as the idiots who simply push out children and take no part in teaching them anything of value other than pushing unrealistic ideologies of how the world should work but is so far out of touch with actual reality that they produce social rejects who can't even function in a society without being a major drain on it!

Oh, if we could only raise children in the same fashion as Dr. Spock, we wouldn't need abortion!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
last night Bill Oreilly finally called Sheriff Dupnick what he is: A " Loudmouth" and a " nitwit." I could go a little further.
Here are some law officers SMARTER than Sheriff Dupnick:
Chief Clancy Wiggam, The Simpsons
Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane, The Dukes Of Hazzard
Officer Barbrady, Southpark
Barney Fife, The Andy Griffith Show( WAY smarter.....)
Special Officer Doofy, Scary Movie( okay they're pretty close)

Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
It's hard to get the big picture when some have such a small screen.

FACTS TO PONDER :

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

(Calculation) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services

Now think about this:

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.

(Yes, that's 80 million..)

(B) The number of accidental gun death per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

(Calculation) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
Oy vey!

could you please provide the statistic where a physician intentially murders someone and then give us the stat where someone intentionally murders someone with a gun?

Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwww wwwwwwwwwwman!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies