Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
That was basically my point, that Rand Paul was making an academic argument of why that ONE portion of the Act may not be Constitutional, even though he doesn't personally believe in discrimination. It doesn't matter, he will never been forgiven for it and Republicans as a party will pay for it because on the surface it seems "racist".

His argument is similar to Barry Goldwater's argument against the Civil Rights Act due to Constitutionality issues, even though he was personally against discrimination. Both subscribed to libertarian type ideologies, which is why they were so strict on following the Constitution when Congress makes decisions instead of passing laws based on what's "the right thing to do". Their ideologies prefer the Amendment process to remedy anything that's not covered.

Ideologies that don't have as much of a strict interpretation and respect for the letter of the Constitution / Amendments can't understand this line of thinking because for them the positive end goal justifies the means, even if it violates the Constitution their body must uphold when passing legislation. Just differences in ideology.

Hopefully at some point we can debate issues without the red herring of racism.
One would hope indeed. However, on CD this hasn't been the case. Sadly, the race card appears to be a very heavy chip on the shoulder of some posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And if you've noticed, i've not really been combative with you seeing as how you've been direct and honest. I can appreciate that. You seem to be the only one who gets what i'm saying here.
Thank you sir, I have a lot of respect for you, even on topics where we may disagree because you keep your mind open. I think the other posters need to take a look at their evening news tonight and see what the media TYPICALLY means when they say "inner city kids" or "inner city areas" instead of trying to fight every single argument simply because they have an opposite ideology of yours. Usually for media stories, there's primarily Black people / areas involved in the definition. In a FEW cities in FL, TX, and CA, sometimes hispanic gets mixed in with the definition but never without Blacks being involved in the equation. At that point it just becomes a majority-hispanic neighborhood.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
Oh and by the way, we bought owe starter home 17 years ago and our current home,which costs more than double our starter home,is paid in full.
This is the internet, everyone lives in a mansion that has been paid off. We also have huge salaries, toned bodies and work hard every day of our lives.

You are not quite as special as you think.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
ok...more specifically...

In AMERICA, Inner City means BLACK!! Look...i know what the term means in the literal sense. I'm talking about the figurative sense. When that term is brought up in THIS COUNTRY, it means black. Come on...i've been on this Earth for 45 years. You don't think i can pick that up?

I'm not saying that everyone who says "inner city" is racist. Obviously not. But they do mean BLACK! Sure, in some places, the inner city isn't filled with blacks exclusively or perhaps not any blacks at all. But again, 9 out of 10 times when someone says inner city, it's completely interchangeable with black.

In any case, i understand what you're trying to say.
Here in Texas though some inner cities contain more Hispanics than Blacks.
It really depends on location.
When someone talks of inner city to me I don't put a color to it. I have lived in too many places, both north and south and west to come to the same conclusion as you; that they refer to poor Blacks.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I agree with you.

"Inner City" means black. However, it is a genuine attempt to distinguish those of the lower class from others. It might be used with racist objectives, but a racist person would just say black as they usually do not care to distinguish.

Furthermore, I have heard whites, blacks, and not a few Hispanics use the term.
Good point, I've actually heard more liberal leaning whites use the term as an attempt to be politically correct. But their efforts still don't ensure some Blacks won't be offended by the condescending, non-upfront language.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM

499 posts, read 405,217 times
Quote:
ok...more specifically...

In AMERICA, Inner City means BLACK!! Look...i know what the term means in the literal sense. I'm talking about the figurative sense. When that term is brought up in THIS COUNTRY, it means black. Come on...i've been on this Earth for 45 years. You don't think i can pick that up?

I'm not saying that everyone who says "inner city" is racist. Obviously not. But they do mean BLACK! Sure, in some places, the inner city isn't filled with blacks exclusively or perhaps not any blacks at all. But again, 9 out of 10 times when someone says inner city, it's completely interchangeable with black.

In any case, i understand what you're trying to say.
This inner city = black thing may be a case of metonymy, I think. Depending on viewpoint, different people may accept or reject this as a classification.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
One would hope indeed. However, on CD this hasn't been the case. Sadly, the race card appears to be a very heavy chip on the shoulder of some posters.
I think some of this is due to a lack of communication. I've had many real life conversations with people of different races who seemed to have a chip on their shoulder, but after explaining my points of view in a calm, rational manner without finger pointing, they can see my side of the debate.

There's work to be done on both sides. Some whites on CD need to learn how to stop asking accusatory, confrontational questions like "why do all blacks do _____" and some Blacks on CD need to learn how to look at multiple reasons why non-Blacks are asking questions besides racist reasons.

Some whites need to stop giving Blacks individuals extra credit for positive Black things like it's special and unheard of, and treat them as individuals. They also need to see Blacks as Americans first, and not Black first and then Americans.

Some Blacks also need to learn how to stop accepting credit for group-type "Black" qualities in positive, acceptable situations yet getting angry when non-Blacks ask group-type "Black" questions that are negative.

The questions that appear to be racist, could simply be curiosity by someone who's spent little time around Blacks, instead of actual racism or bashing. I saw these honest, curious questions go back and forth between the races when I was in college. Unfortunately our society still segregates itself, so people take what they know about an outside group from the stereotypes in the media. If we can't resolve these stereotypes in places like here, where can we ever?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
I think some of this is due to a lack of communication. I've had many real life conversations with people of different races who seemed to have a chip on their shoulder, but after explaining my points of view in a calm, rational manner without finger pointing, they can see my side of the debate.

There's work to be done on both sides. Some whites on CD need to learn how to stop asking accusatory, confrontational questions like "why do all blacks do _____" and some Blacks on CD need to learn how to look at multiple reasons why non-Blacks are asking questions besides racist reasons.

Some whites need to stop giving Blacks individuals extra credit for positive Black things like it's special and unheard of, and treat them as individuals. They also need to see Blacks as Americans first, and not Black first and then Americans.

Some Blacks also need to learn how to stop accepting credit for group-type "Black" qualities in positive, acceptable situations yet getting angry when non-Blacks ask group-type "Black" questions that are negative.

The questions that appear to be racist, could simply be curiosity by someone who's spent little time around Blacks, instead of actual racism or bashing. I saw these honest, curious questions go back and forth between the races when I was in college. Unfortunately our society still segregates itself, so people take what they know about an outside group from the stereotypes in the media. If we can't resolve these stereotypes in places like here, where can we ever?
Well said. Don't see how anyone could possibly disagree with anything said here.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:34 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:

Can't argue with that.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
This inner city = black thing may be a case of metonymy, I think. Depending on viewpoint, different people may accept or reject this as a classification.
Exactly. Inner City is a perfect case of metonymy. I don't see why people are getting so hot under the collar about it. I'm simply pointing it out because i can't stand the use of a word to substitute another word when it comes off as condescending and politely insulting. LOL!!

Look...i see this desegregation/ busing thing this way...

I'm completely sympathetic to the notion that upward mobility means better schools for your children. NOTHING wrong with that! I want the best schools for my child too. I've just drained my whole bank account getting my son through college. I'm a proponent of education...and a strong one at that.

Busing was seen as a remedy for poor performing schools, and it apparently had more negative results in the minds of some people than positive results. So let's just say for the sake of this argument that it's had no better than a 50/50 success rate, which isn't very good...admittedly.

I can also understand that when you live in a nice community that you worked very hard to afford that features good schools, bringing in children from circumspect neighborhoods AT BEST would and SHOULD cause some consternation. I have no issue with that view.

My problem with some people here is that they fail to realize that those children from tough circumstances need to be educated by some means. Now of course, this should be done at their local schools in a perfect world. Obviously, that's not the case in many areas. That doesn't mean that those kids should be bused into yours or my school district. It means that their schools need to be fixed.

But understand...these children are OUR problem. They're American citizens. They aren't going anywhere. You can sit in your leafy 'burb and pretend that these kids are expendable, or that if their parents don't involve themselves in the betterment of their own children, that it's not your problem! IT IS YOUR PROBLEM! IT'S MY PROBLEM. You can continue to scream about how it's absurd to keep "throwing money at the problem" (something those on the right can't stop saying), but we'd damn well better be throwing SOMETHING at the problem. If not money, then we'd better find an alternative.

Just seems quite odd when i see how detached some people are from the world around them just because everything seems honky-dory in their own world. Your own world lies inside of another world...better take a look outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies