Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
What they can do is kill people more efficiently than anything else. That's what I know and that's why I don't think they belong on the streets.
But how would more laws reduce guns on the streets?
Criminals by their very nature are unconcerned with laws.

Quote:
Look, I've always lived in very densely populated places where people don't need to defend themselves from wildlife or go hunting. The two civilians I have known personally to own guns have brandished them menacingly at their wives, and no one I know has have NEVER had any occasion to use a gun for self-defense.
Hunting is immaterial to the debate.
If the two men had used knives or bats,would you feel those should be restricted?To 'blame' an object instead of the person makes little sense.

Quote:
For that matter, no one I know has ever been the victim of a violent crime. Firearms just don't make any sense to me in day-to-day civilian life. (And yes, I do believe law enforcement should be armed.)
You must live a cloistered life,violent crime is part of humanity.

Why do the police need to be armed,for what purpose?

Quote:
As I've said before, rape to me does not equate with the ending of a life. That said, if one of my daughters were raped would I want to see the person's life end? Very likely.
This doesn't make much sense,you do not see rape equaling the ending of a life but would want the rapist of your loved ones killed??

Quote:
Would I be able to personally kill the perpetrator in the act? I don't know, truly.
But you would want them killed...

Quote:
But that vanishingly remote possibility does not make me want to own a gun.
No-one so far has stated you need to own a gun.

You have however stated you would like to restrict others from having the opportunity.

DO you see a problem with your position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
I believe there should be strict regulations on the ownership of guns. I don't know much about the specifics, not being a gun-nut, but it seems to me that civilians shouldn't be able to just go out and buy assault rifles or high-capacity magazines. Armor-piercing bullets. Machine guns. People can defend their homes and their persons with a reasonable level of firepower that doesn't endanger the community around them.
So not to be rude, but you're admitting ignorance when speaking upon the topic. You have your OPINION re: GUN CONTROL and that's it. And you've admitted that you don't know about the specifics, especially w/ the fact that civilians CAN NOT purchase "armor-piercing" bullets. Machine guns are very difficult and EXTREMELY expensive to obtain, IF you can even get the class III license to get them. However if you can pass through all the paperwork, background checks and paying the fee's in order to obtain them, then they have fulfilled "STRICT" controls and regulations.

As for high capacity magazines, well if they want to pay to get them, then that's the free market. Should fee's or additional tax be levied, well then that's a topic for debate. However, attempting to argue a position you already admittedly don't have a base knowledge of is pure folly.

As a complete stranger who are you to tell me what level of firepower I need to protect my home and family. I want a level of firepower greater than that of the threat posed, i.e. they bring a knife I have a hand-gun. They have a hand-gun I have a shot gun. They have a shot gun I have my full auto assault rifle. The first and foremost danger to the community at large and around where the CRIME is being committed is not by the homeowner & defender, but by the CRIMINAL violating the residence and the immediate community.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,420,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Guns do NOT kill people.
It is the actions of another human being behind that firearm that does that.
Guns are USED to kill people, more efficiently than butcher knives, baseball bats, or cars. And they can be accidentally used more easily than anything else. Unlike other tools, under normal circumstances they need to be locked up, users need to be trained, children need to be protected, etc., etc. They are more dangerous in the wrong hands than just about anything else I can think of. OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
How old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC
But how would more laws reduce guns on the streets?
Criminals by their very nature are unconcerned with laws.

Hunting is immaterial to the debate. If the two men had used knives or bats,would you feel those should be restricted?To 'blame' an object instead of the person makes little sense.
A knife or a bat can't go off accidentally when being brandished. Guns, when used irresponsibly even by law-abiding citizens, are more dangerous than knives or bats. Regular citizens are often idiots who should never own a gun, just as there are bad drivers on the streets. But it's a lot easier to protect oneself from a bad driver than it is from an idiot with a gun.

Quote:
You must live a cloistered life,violent crime is part of humanity.
I grew up in Manhattan, have lived in 4 of the 5 boroughs of NYC, and now live in northern NJ. Not very cloistered.

Quote:
No-one so far has stated you need to own a gun.

You have however stated you would like to restrict others from having the opportunity.

DO you see a problem with your position?
No. I would LIKE to live in an unarmed society. Not gonna happen, I know.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
So not to be rude, but you're admitting ignorance when speaking upon the topic. You have your OPINION re: GUN CONTROL and that's it. And you've admitted that you don't know about the specifics, especially w/ the fact that civilians CAN NOT purchase "armor-piercing" bullets. Machine guns are very difficult and EXTREMELY expensive to obtain, IF you can even get the class III license to get them. However if you can pass through all the paperwork, background checks and paying the fee's in order to obtain them, then they have fulfilled "STRICT" controls and regulations.

As for high capacity magazines, well if they want to pay to get them, then that's the free market. Should fee's or additional tax be levied, well then that's a topic for debate. However, attempting to argue a position you already admittedly don't have a base knowledge of is pure folly.

As a complete stranger who are you to tell me what level of firepower I need to protect my home and family. I want a level of firepower greater than that of the threat posed, i.e. they bring a knife I have a hand-gun. They have a hand-gun I have a shot gun. They have a shot gun I have my full auto assault rifle. The first and foremost danger to the community at large and around where the CRIME is being committed is not by the homeowner & defender, but by the CRIMINAL violating the residence and the immediate community.
I'm glad to hear those regulations are in effect.

And I'm not really arguing a position. I have my opinion. That's it. I freely admit that it's just my opinion. Good for you for being able to take down an army. I hope you never have to.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:

A knife or a bat can't go off accidentally when being brandished.
Neither can a firearm really.It can discharge negligently,meaning the user was negligent.
Quote:
Guns, when used irresponsibly even by law-abiding citizens, are more dangerous than knives or bats.
And cars are too,a car can kill many more if used irresponsibly than a firearm.

Quote:
Regular citizens are often idiots who should never own a gun, just as there are bad drivers on the streets. But it's a lot easier to protect oneself from a bad driver than it is from an idiot with a gun.
Is it?
How many fatal accidents are there a day in the USA?

Quote:
I grew up in Manhattan, have lived in 4 of the 5 boroughs of NYC, and now live in northern NJ. Not very cloistered.
To have never known ANYONE who was a victim of violent crime you are.

Quote:
I would LIKE to live in an unarmed society. Not gonna happen, I know.
The only problem with this is the criminals.They never seem too concerned with the law.

Do you ever wonder how there can be stabbings in prisons where weapons are forbidden?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
We all need to follow the laws or bear the consequences, don't we?
Agree, and the laws say we can bear arms to defend ourselves and our property, from all invaders foreign and domestic. Criminals who break into homes, are breaking the law(s). They break into a home w/ an armed citizen who is willing and prepared to protect and repel the invader and inevitably they bore the consequences of their actions.

Quote:
This is why we have homeowner's insurance.
No. We have homeowners insurance for circumstances that happen OUT of our control. Fire, Flood, smoke damage, etc., etc. We can control for the most part a home invasion, at least while we are there to protect a premises. If a criminal believes there will be no repercussions for their actions, they will continue to engage in those actions. If they think even for a minute that their life may be a risk should they attempt to violate that residence then that may well be the necessary incentive to encourage them to pursue another line of "work".

Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Guns are USED to kill people, more efficiently than butcher knives, baseball bats, or cars. And they can be accidentally used more easily than anything else. Unlike other tools, under normal circumstances they need to be locked up, users need to be trained, children need to be protected, etc., etc. They are more dangerous in the wrong hands than just about anything else I can think of. OK?

A knife or a bat can't go off accidentally when being brandished. Guns, when used irresponsibly even by law-abiding citizens, are more dangerous than knives or bats. Regular citizens are often idiots who should never own a gun, just as there are bad drivers on the streets. But it's a lot easier to protect oneself from a bad driver than it is from an idiot with a gun.

No. I would LIKE to live in an unarmed society. Not gonna happen, I know.

No, it's not ok...you are wrong.
Your thoughts and what you are taking as facts are so skewed it is disgusting.

A vehicle is a deadly weapon, hands are a deadly weapon, drugs are a deadly weapon and even more so when used improperly. Your thinking is way of base.

You haven't even considered the facts of responsible gun ownership. There are many facts that you aren't even thinking of. You are letting someone else do your thinking for you. But that is typical of society today. You are wanting to take away the rights of citizens and relinquish citizens self responsibility. You have a lot of learning to do.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM

A rifle like this:

Was used to kill 16 people.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
No, it's not ok...you are wrong.
Your thoughts and what you are taking as facts are so skewed it is disgusting.

A vehicle is a deadly weapon, hands are a deadly weapon, drugs are a deadly weapon and even more so when used improperly. Your thinking is way of base.

You haven't even considered the facts of responsible gun ownership. There are many facts that you aren't even thinking of. You are letting someone else do your thinking for you. But that is typical of society today. You are wanting to take away the rights of citizens and relinquish citizens self responsibility. You have a lot of learning to do.
Why thank you.

I'm not letting anyone else do my thinking for me. I'm not an anti-gun activist and I'm not trying to change any laws. All I've said is how I FEEL. Guns scare me in a way that drugs, cars, hands, knives, and bats don't. Now why should that be?

Have fun with your guns.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not going to engage, I can't. I'm a total lay-person and don't know the details. All I know is that guns that can shoot huge numbers of bullets in seconds don't seem to have any rational basis for being needed by civilians.
Let's see, if a civilian in AZ had perhaps had a weapon there to return fire, would Loughner been able to wound and kill as many as he did? What if there was multiple attackers ala Columbine? What if there are multiple attackers to my home? Am I to only hope that it doesn't take more than 6 shots to repeal multiple attackers? Maybe I can do like on a video game and get a double kill w/ a kill chain upgrade??!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies