Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Aren't you glad you sent in all that money for the Haitian relief ?
I'm sure it will all end up in the "right place".

Supposedly Baby Doc would be allowed back in the country only if he agreed to stand trial for many deaths and the robbing of the country's coffers.
Wonder if the US had anything to do with it; they did arrange his hasty departure to France back in the 80's.

'Baby Doc' Duvalier back in Haiti after long exile - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110117/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_haiti_ex_dictator_returns - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,409 times
I'm sure that the US didn't have a hand in his return but it certainly is not good. His return may stall organized churches groups and other humanitarian volunteers from going to Haiti. It is certain that he is interested in regaining power and there is no doubt that he has some supporters in powerful positions. If he didn't he would already be arrested.
It is definitely something to keep an eye on in world politics. Baby Doc is a bad dude.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
When I read that Baby Doc had returned my blood ran cold. I'm old enough that I remember when both Baby Doc AND before him Papa Doc, turned Haiti into a blood soaked horror. Does anyone else remember the bodies hanging from the telephone lines? They are responsible for the destitution in which Hati was plunged. NOTHING good can come from the return of this monster.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
When I read that Baby Doc had returned my blood ran cold. I'm old enough that I remember when both Baby Doc AND before him Papa Doc, turned Haiti into a blood soaked horror. Does anyone else remember the bodies hanging from the telephone lines? They are responsible for the destitution in which Hati was plunged. NOTHING good can come from the return of this monster.
So did mine. And I too am old enough to remember Papa Doc and their infamous Tonton Macoute.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I'm waiting for Jimmy Carter to come out for big baby D. Peanut boy has yet to find a tyrant to dislike. And this one's black and a francophone...

Wonder if Doc will try to rehab his image with some Bonoesque shades.

Is the world ready for Idi Amin Dada redux?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm waiting for Jimmy Carter to come out for big baby D. Peanut boy has yet to find a tyrant to dislike. And this one's black and a francophone...

Wonder if Doc will try to rehab his image with some Bonoesque shades.

Is the world ready for Idi Amin Dada redux?
If that's what the Haitians want, let them have him.

Just keep the US out of it and certainly NO US tax dollars to Haiti. We've already been played for chumps in efforts to bail out the world's sh*t holes.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
I didn't personally send Haiti a damn thing.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Is this a case of "the tyrant you know is better than the Hell you don't know"?

Maybe he'll drink the water..........

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." ~ Edmund Burke

Old 01-16-2011, 10:45 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post

Same here. ::shudder::

Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
He's there because there is a vacuum, and probably because those reports that the Duvalier bank accounts are running low (if not empty) are probably true.

That said, we propped his dad up so we bare some blame there. In any case, that's a separate issue for me when it comes to Haiti. I'm still interested in helping them and i'll continue to send money as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies