Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,360,129 times

Advertisements

I hate these thing coming in my email, but this one caught my eye, and just on the wild chance it would work I violated my “don’t pass on” rule and sent it to 20 friends. I thought some of you might also want to have a chance to pass it on too so I have cut and pasted it here for you. At least I am not cluttering up your email.

This makes great sense to me and if you agree please keep the message going.
D.

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took
only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people
demanded it. That was in 1971...before computers, before e-mail,
before cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution
, seven (7) took 1 year or less
to become the law of the land...all because of public pressure.

I'm asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty
people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America
will have
the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

Congressional Reform Act of 2011

1. Term Limits

12 years only, one of the possible options below..

A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms

2. No Tenure / No Pension.

A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay
when they are out of office.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund
move to the Social
Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social
Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all
Americans do.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional
pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in
the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American
people.

8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective
1/1/11.

The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen.
Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers
envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s),
then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only
take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message.
Maybe it is time.

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!! If you agree with the above, pass it
on. If not, just delete

You are one of my 20+. Please keep it going.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times
Yeah, because term limits worked so well in California.

All term limits do is eliminate the best possible candidates from the field. While I think that there are many career politicians who are stupid and need to be kicked out of office, its none of my business to tell any other state who they can elect, or how long they can vote to keep them in office.

If you feel that a candidate is doing such a bad job in your state, vote for someone else. If you don't like both major parties, vote independent.

No need for legislation that would have removed some of the greatest leaders our country has ever had from office.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM

45,247 posts, read 26,488,601 times
They naysayers will claim we'll end up with a bunch of inexperienced rubes as reps.
I say, can it be worse than the career crooks we have entrenched now, year after year gaming the taxpayer for their own gain?

It will require the same crooks to pass this legislation, much to their own detriment, so don't expect it get off the ground.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,958,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They naysayers will claim we'll end up with
That didn't stop them from electing Our Dear Leader Chairman Obama

Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM

45,247 posts, read 26,488,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That didn't stop them from electing Our Dear Leader Chairman Obama
Yes rube comes to mind...a glib rube with a well spoken teleprompter

Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,544,740 times
Term limits are the ultimate expression of irresponsibility, the quintessential hallmark of a lack of personal responsibility of our citizens.

We aleady have term limits: They're called "elections."

But, nobody wants to be bothered. Nobody wants to be invovled. Nobody wants to inconvience themselves enough to get out there and work for what they believe in. Half of us don't even want to vote.

So...we've latched onto term limits as a way to divest ourselves of our public responsibilities, to shirk our duties as citizens and to make it easy to say we've "done something" to correct the things which are wrong in this country.

Bullsheet. All those who support that idiocy are doing is shoving their own, personal responsibilities toward our form of government onto something else.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,466,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Term limits are the ultimate expression of irresponsibility, the quintessential hallmark of a lack of personal responsibility of our citizens.

We aleady have term limits: They're called "elections."

But, nobody wants to be bothered. Nobody wants to be invovled. Nobody wants to inconvience themselves enough to get out there and work for what they believe in. Half of us don't even want to vote.

So...we've latched onto term limits as a way to divest ourselves of our public responsibilities, to shirk our duties as citizens and to make it easy to say we've "done something" to correct the things which are wrong in this country.

Bullsheet. All those who support that idiocy are doing is shoving their own, personal responsibilities toward our form of government onto something else.
Yeah ok. Congressman and Sentators were NEVER meant to make a career out of this.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah ok. Congressman and Sentators were NEVER meant to make a career out of this.
It doesn't matter what the Politician ran for. I'm sure many of them would like to be in public office for life.

But you are their boss, you can fire them regardless of what they want.

If your politician isn't doing his/her job and you don't like what they've done, then vote for the other guy. If you think the system is rigged and you're damned if you vote Republican, and damned if you vote for a Democrat, then vote for an independent.

I have not once in my adult life ever seen a ballet for national office without a small, unknown third party candidate on the ballot.

But if I have a politician that I think is doing a great job in Florida, I don't want anyone else telling me that I can't vote for them.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,544,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's right. They weren't, and aren't. They were meant to be subject to the will of The People every 2 years and they still are.

If you can't be bothered to vote, that's not my problem. We have the perfect, Constitutionally guaranteed right to replace our elected representatives any time we like and we can still do that. If they're "career" politician's, it's only because we want them to be.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,466,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It doesn't matter what the Politician ran for. I'm sure many of them would like to be in public office for life.

But you are their boss, you can fire them regardless of what they want.

If your politician isn't doing his/her job and you don't like what they've done, then vote for the other guy. If you think the system is rigged and you're damned if you vote Republican, and damned if you vote for a Democrat, then vote for an independent.

I have not once in my adult life ever seen a ballet for national office without a small, unknown third party candidate on the ballot.

But if I have a politician that I think is doing a great job in Florida, I don't want anyone else telling me that I can't vote for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's right. They weren't, and aren't. They were meant to be subject to the will of The People every 2 years and they still are.

If you can't be bothered to vote, that's not my problem. We have the perfect, Constitutionally guaranteed right to replace our elected representatives any time we like and we can still do that. If they're "career" politician's, it's only because we want them to be.
That's the problem, as soon as the public can vote themselves money we are doomed. You can't trust the corruption and payoffs that go on to get these people re-elected. Term limits will solve that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies