Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:34 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,695 times

Advertisements

One of things I never quite understood about present day USA is acceptance of having kid out of wedlock. Especially, when government show up to provide support for them. The main problem with such kids is probably they won't be raised properly by the parents. The government has to show up to support them with money and public school often struggle with them. A lot of these kids repeat their parents mistakes and get stuck in generational poverty.

What I think should be done about this is government need make sure the parent(s) are actually capable of raising the child. Parents should mature, responsible, and financially stable to actually raise children. If they aren't they should be given up for adoption. There are ton of good couple looking for new born babies to adopt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
One of things I never quite understood about present day USA is acceptance of having kid out of wedlock. Especially, when government show up to provide support for them. The main problem with such kids is probably they won't be raised properly by the parents. The government has to show up to support them with money and public school often struggle with them. A lot of these kids repeat their parents mistakes and get stuck in generational poverty.

What I think should be done about this is government need make sure the parent(s) are actually capable of raising the child. Parents should mature, responsible, and financially stable to actually raise children. If they aren't they should be given up for adoption. There are ton of good couple looking for new born babies to adopt.
At what point should the government force someone to give their kids for adoption?

Most of the problems you described above are independent of out of wedlock births.

More of a problem is the lack of birth control, especially by people who don't have the financial means to support big families. And you can blame the catholic church for a lot of that.

"Father, I have five kids and I only make $8 per hour. What should my wife and I do?"
"Continue to be fruitful and multiply my son."

Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,657,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
At what point should the government force someone to give their kids for adoption?

Most of the problems you described above are independent of out of wedlock births.

More of a problem is the lack of birth control, especially by people who don't have the financial means to support big families. And you can blame the catholic church for a lot of that.

"Father, I have five kids and I only make $8 per hour. What should my wife and I do?"
"Continue to be fruitful and multiply my son.
It's the Catholic Churches fault?? More likely welfare rewarding such behavior.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
It's the Catholic Churches fault??
Yes, the church's backwards 12th century values of encouraging the procreation of as many catholics as possible without regards to the costs to society. The church looks at power in numbers. Have as many kids as possible - the government will take care of you, including educating your kids at $8000/kid per year.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post

This opinion is about as wrong as wrong can be. Maybe you're a troll. I don't know, but.........

I had my daughter when I was 26 and didn't marry her father. We were together for six years. Not to give out my entire life history, but he and I raised our daughter together and he was my best friend. He was a musician who had toured with several big name rock bands, so it's not like he was a conservative man. He did however, love, care for and support our daughter.

I've always worked. Worked my way through college while raising my daughter. I'm a liberal. I wasn't a perfect parent and would like a few do overs with a few things, but my daughter turned out wonderful.

No teen pregnancies. No drug/alcohol problems. No long string of bad boyfriends. No marriages. At 17 she cared for her dad when he was on hospice. She didn't go the traditinal college route, but she's there now. She's worked in the medical field for about four years. She's very intelligent, tall, brown and beautiful. She's also a musician, and a non-mainstreamer like both of her parents. She's an atheist, and ethical and honest to a fault.

I chose to not get married. It's fine for others, but I have no desire to be married. I don't like people living with me, and I have no desire to wash stinky socks and undies. I chose to have my child when I could have had an abortion.

I suggest you not be so judgemental. There are plenty of people who have children without being married and are not on 'government' support. Open your mind a little. The world is can be beautiful.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, the church's backwards 12th century values of encouraging the procreation of as many catholics as possible without regards to the costs to society. The church looks at power in numbers. Have as many kids as possible - the government will take care of you, including educating your kids at $8000/kid per year.
Are you saying Catholics have the highest % of babies out of wedlock?? Or make up the largest % of women and children on welfare roles???

Old 01-22-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Are you saying Catholics have the highest % of babies out of wedlock?? Or make up the largest % of women and children on welfare roles???

No, because I don't have those statistics. What I am writing is the church's policy on birth control is not beneficial to society and to individual families. The church needs to make a few adjustments (and not just getting away from promoting superstition and supernatural events from the great book of myths, otherwise known as the bible).

Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
No, because I don't have those statistics. What I am writing is the church's policy on birth control is not beneficial to society and to individual families. The church needs to make a few adjustments (and not just getting away from promoting superstition and supernatural events from the great book of myths, otherwise known as the bible).
But if one is NOT CATHOLIC how is it the churches fault that they became pregnant out of wedlock?? You have a bias against the Catholic church which is your right but this is really a stretch!! And since all Christians not just Catholics use the Bible how are just the Catholics blamed for "promoting superstition.........??? Oh Jewish religion follows the Old Testament and they escaped your ire too!!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
But if one is NOT CATHOLIC how is it the churches fault that they became pregnant out of wedlock??

I never wrote that. Where did you pick that up?

Also, catholics aren't the only ones promoting superstition, virtually all members of a religion are victims too. They've been brainwashed by their parents to think a certain way.

So, back on topic. What I am implying is out of wedlock births are probably in the noise compared to overbirths to those of limited means - that's where the catholic tie in came from. Marriage is just a legal agreement. It's independent of money, maturity, age, health, and culture. It's even independent of love for each other. You don't have to be married to love someone and care about kids and marriage doesn't guarantee a good upbringing for them. All it does is makes tax filling and some estate planning a little smoother.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I never wrote that. Where did you pick that up?

Also, catholics aren't the only ones promoting superstition, virtually all members of a religion are victims too. They've been brainwashed by their parents to think a certain way.

So, back on topic. What I am implying is out of wedlock births are probably in the noise compared to overbirths to those of limited means - that's where the catholic tie in came from. Marriage is just a legal agreement. It's independent of money, maturity, age, health, and culture. It's even independent of love for each other. You don't have to be married to love someone and care about kids and marriage doesn't guarantee a good upbringing for them. All it does is makes tax filling and some estate planning a little smoother.
I'm so confused and my head hurts trying to figure your reply out!! Have a good night!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies