Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Not that it has a snowball's chance of passing, but what would happen if magazine ("clip" for the short bus folks) capacities were reduced to 10 rd mags? Glock 19s take 15 rd mags as stock. Would Glock 19s be useless? Would new mags have to be shortened with a smaller spring or internal floorplate? Would it be illegal to sell parts (springs, etc) that would allow a regular 15 rd mag to be constructed? How do you possibly register the millions of magazines out there? How is it possible for a DA to prove that a mag was transferred (esp. through inheritance) or sold?

Since it's unconstitutional to restrict grandfathering, do you think it was a wise move to overreach?
I believe the magazines, such as what you mention for GLOCK, would have to be manufactured as they were with the Clinton AWB. There were replacement "liner kits" available for GLOCK pre-ban magazines during the Clinton AWB but it was illegal to build your own magazines from these. I suspect a new magazine ban, such as the one proposed by Carolyn McCarthy, does not allow for such kits because normal capacity magazines remain unrestricted for the "special" designated population of LE agencies and military.

When it comes to semi auto rifles, it is not so simple and malfunctions occur; because, those firearms (M4 platform of ARs) were originally designed to accept 30 round magazines. There is an issue with with the magazine and spring weights in smaller magazines that do not feed properly and possibly, if I understand the mechanics correctly, actually affect the recoil and bolt operation (reciprocation) thus contributing to the mechanical malfunction. During the Clinton AWB this malfunction problem induced by reduced capacity magazines was not solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
The same reason so many laws have been passed before, so someone can point to it and say "See, I did something!"
Isn't that the sad truth indeed! Gun control legislation is an opiate "feel good" action for the unwashed masses. It only affects the law abiding and in reality does nothing to curb crime.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,988,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Mag limits will accomplish nothing except to further restrict law abiding citizens. The bad guys don't care about silly gun laws. Never have, never will.
That is a good one. Gun control where you point it.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,297,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I believe the magazines, such as what you mention for GLOCK, would have to be manufactured as they were with the Clinton AWB. There were replacement "liner kits" available for GLOCK pre-ban magazines during the Clinton AWB but it was illegal to build your own magazines from these. I suspect a new magazine ban, such as the one proposed by Carolyn McCarthy, does not allow for such kits because normal capacity magazines remain unrestricted for the "special" designated population of LE agencies and military.

When it comes to semi auto rifles, it is not so simple and malfunctions occur; because, those firearms (M4 platform of ARs) were originally designed to accept 30 round magazines. There is an issue with with the magazine and spring weights in smaller magazines that do not feed properly and possibly, if I understand the mechanics correctly, actually affect the recoil and bolt operation (reciprocation) thus contributing to the mechanical malfunction. During the Clinton AWB this malfunction problem induced by reduced capacity magazines was not solved.
Not only that, but AK single stack 10rd mags do not even fit in a hogged out magwell. The lowest double stack mag are "tanker mags", typically Hungarian milsurp stuff used in their AMD-65 flavor AKs.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 AM

256 posts, read 216,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy : Recent News : Rep. McCarthy, Advocates Introduce Bill to Ban High-Capacity Ammo Magazines

"It closes a gaping loophole in the previous ban in which magazines manufactured before the law went into effect could still be sold or transferred."

Not constitutional to make the law retroactive and restrict existing hicap mags, and no patriot would obey it.
At least now I understand why so many people are stating that the bill does not have a grandfather clause when it most clearly does. I wonder if McCarthy's office is deliberately mis-stating what the bill does, or if there has been some serious miscommunication somewhere.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
At least now I understand why so many people are stating that the bill does not have a grandfather clause when it most clearly does. I wonder if McCarthy's office is deliberately mis-stating what the bill does, or if there has been some serious miscommunication somewhere.
Actually, Carolyn McCarthy is an idiot. She could not vocalize what the AWB did back during the Clinton AWB any more than she can vocalize what her proposed normal capacity magazine ban will do if enacted.

Mostl likely is that she has a hired pen write this gun control legislation up, from the Brady Campaign/Joyce Foundation and other anti-2nd Amendment organizations, and then puts it forward. Other than reading directly from her own bill she would be unable to explain it.

Flashback to 2007: Video: Carolyn McCarthy doesn’t understand her own gun-control legislation « Hot Air

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Why would anyone "feel good" about this nonsense? I guess the gun control hopefuls expect limitations on fire arms, up to and including all personal ownership, will somehow reduce violence. Only the elimination of violent people will reduce violence. As violence seems to be part of almost every human's personality it will always be with us. It best estimate of the gun banner's emotions I can guess is they absolutely fear having to use violence to protect themselves more than being hurt because they were unable. They make no sense whatsoever.

IMHO any restriction on what I may use to defend my family, friends and myself is completely unacceptable.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,981,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
didn't this (hi-cap clips ban) happen already back in the Clinton era??

BINGO, Prize winner.... Bidens plan under Commrade Liar in Thief Klintoon. The one and the very same Biden, the circus clown in office as dubba vp.

His ban failed to do one single thing, and if there is a new ban it will also fail.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I always figured if I could not settle a gunfight with another individual, close combat with several opponents is an exception, with 7 rounds, the capacity of a standard 1911 45. cal pistol or most shotguns, the rest would be irrelevant because I would likely be dead. If I was really worried about getting into a gunfight with a gang I would want a short barrel 12 ga. semi automatic shotgun with a 20 round clip and pistol grips.

I do not believe any part of our government should restrict personal firearms in any way shape or form. I can see the value of keeping major military weapons like artillery, tanks and heat seeking missiles regulated but I am not all that supportive of the idea.

BTW - criminals will have whatever weapons the cops are using. Always have and always will.
well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We've dealt with this for a few years. It's stupid and LE has to have trouble with it. How do they know who has grand fathered weapons and who doesn't?

Many people have shown that a mag is so easy to swap out limiting them is stupid. If you count rounds you don't even have to rechamber.
even if a ten round limit is imposed on magazines, that just means that you either carry more magazines, or more guns. and creating magazines with higher capacities isnt that hard for someone with a little ingenuity.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times
If they succeed with a hi cap mag ban, expect a push to entirely ban semi-auto guns next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies