Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Well lots of personal decisions impact others,but we normally don't think it is our business to intervene.

Now if someone was silly enough to ASK me what my opinion was regarding their stupid decisions,then I would tell them exactly what I thought....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

You can bet your sweet ass if my sister or mother or best friend was contemplating suicide I'd step in and try my best to help. You wouldn't?
I would state my opinion on the matter.

Is it your right to interfere in their decisions all the time?

Are you to tell them that they shouldn't marry the one they love if you disagree with the choice?

What about their choice of religion?

You are free to voice your opinion on anything,you do not have the right to interfere in another person's life.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I disagree that suicide isn't impacting the "intervener" - there are actually a host of documented effects on family members, friends, classmates (if applicable) and the community, never mind contagion effects.
This reminded me... the times I really DO care is when the potential suicide victim is a teen/child. Partly because as an educator I'm legally obligated to intervene, but also because they simply haven't lived enough to make this decision - plus I know the impact a young suicide has on their classmates, family, and the community as a whole.

This recent string of gay teens committing suicide is really sad, and if there's anything we can do to prevent them it's a good thing IMO. Not to mention, these actions can be "contagious" with young people, and I don't want my students offing themselves to be cool.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I would state my opinion on the matter.

Is it your right to interfere in their decisions all the time?

Are you to tell them that they shouldn't marry the one they love if you disagree with the choice?

What about their choice of religion?

You are free to voice your opinion on anything,you do not have the right to interfere in another person's life.
People get married and divorced all the time. If they were trying to marry someone who had a history of abuse then yes, I would try to intervene.

Religion...well, if they were joining a cult that promotes group suicide (Heaven's Gate and the like) I would also step in.

I'm EXTREMELY happy my family and friends stepped in when I was in my depressive state...it was through them that I was able to get the help I needed. If it weren't for them, I'd probably be dead right now.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM

Well there are millions of people who think they know best how others should live.

You would fall into that group.

As long as you don't try and pass yourself off as believing in personal freedom and responsibility then there is no problem.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well there are millions of people who think they know best how others should live.

You would fall into that group.

As long as you don't try and pass yourself off as believing in personal freedom and responsibility then there is no problem.
It's called compassion.

I do believe in personal freedom and responsibility, but I also believe that those who need help should be able to have access to it.

Not everyone is perfect, like you claim to be. Sometimes, people need help. I did, and I'm damn glad I received it.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
It's called compassion.

I do believe in personal freedom and responsibility, but I also believe that those who need help should be able to have access to it.
There is your problem,you can't read and comprehend.
People are free to choose,if they need and want help,they can get it.

Quote:
Not everyone is perfect, like you claim to be.
Ahhh,how sweet,a personal attack....
And you lie.

Quote:
Sometimes, people need help.
Yes.
Quote:
I did, and I'm damn glad I received it.
Good for you.

Just don't force your 'help' on others.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
It's called compassion.

Not everyone is perfect, like you claim to be. Sometimes, people need help. I did, and I'm damn glad I received it.

I agree. And some people who need help don't always have the ability or foresight to ask for it. In cases like suicide we have the right and the moral obligation to try to intervene when we know someone is seriously contemplating doing it. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and some people just need a little help to overcome their feelings of hopelessness.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I agree. And some people who need help don't always have the ability or foresight to ask for it. In cases like suicide we have the right and the moral obligation to try to intervene when we know someone is seriously contemplating doing it. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and some people just need a little help to overcome their feelings of hopelessness.
You believe we have the right to do whatever we want with our own body but also believe we can interfere in what others do with theirs???

It is their body and their choice.

It is the drug users body and their choice.

It is the alcohol abusers body and their choice.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
This is another one of those sayings about suicide people throw out quite a bit. How does someone outside know that the problem is temporary, and who are they to be the one to judge that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies