Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,141,522 times

Advertisements

Poonanny rules the world. If a woman leverages it, she'll conquer anything she sets out to do. Ask any man out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,736,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post
I can't get over the large number of just plain beautiful women who report on politics and current events on TV. The funny thing is once a woman hits 35 years old and starts having some real skills and knowledge about journalism, current events and politics, she is canned and replaced by a woman who looks like a playboy bunnie.

No wonder people don't trust the media, the journalists are all hired based on looks vs knowledge and experience!

You make the mistake of comparing a journalist to a newsreader. The anchor delivering the news is usually a news reader. They do not author their own stories. They are personalities paid to deliver the news, not compile it.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM

13,695 posts, read 9,019,963 times
I recall many years ago when one of the networks, I forget which, hired a striking blonde woman to conduct the quick sideline interviews with coaches and players for an NFL game. What controversy broke out! Many football fans were quick to denounce the hire, stating that a woman could not be expected to 'know' football and ask intelligent questions.

Now, years later, it is a rare football game, pro or college, in which the network does not have a rather striking woman on the sidelines doing these interviews.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM

59,148 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And don't forget that all beautiful women are dumb as a box of rocks.
They only get to where they are by sleeping their way to the top or with their looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Anything other than your opinion?
It's quite insulting of you to say that a woman can't be both beautiful and smart.
I know many beautiful and smart women.
Make up your mind.

Fiest you say, "And don't forget that all beautiful women are dumb as a box of rocks. They only get to where they are by sleeping their way to the top or with their looks".

Then you say, "It's quite insulting of you to say that a woman can't be both beautiful and smart.
I know many beautiful and smart women."

Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM

59,148 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I recall many years ago when one of the networks, I forget which, hired a striking blonde woman to conduct the quick sideline interviews with coaches and players for an NFL game. What controversy broke out! Many football fans were quick to denounce the hire, stating that a woman could not be expected to 'know' football and ask intelligent questions.

Now, years later, it is a rare football game, pro or college, in which the network does not have a rather striking woman on the sidelines doing these interviews.
And asking the most stupid question I have ever heard. i don't blame them, they are more than likely told what questions to ask.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,551,132 times
Quote:
I can't get over the large number of just plain beautiful women who report on politics and current events on TV. The funny thing is once a woman hits 35 years old and starts having some real skills and knowledge about journalism, current events and politics, she is canned and replaced by a woman who looks like a playboy bunnie.

No wonder people don't trust the media, the journalists are all hired based on looks vs knowledge and experience!
I agree with TKramar and tend to not trust electronic media at all. The rare times I do watch the news, I tune out the network segments and pay more attention to the local affiliates. I've lived in the same neighborhood as many of the "faces" of one of the local big three affiliates, and thus seen them in their natural habitat, which makes them more accessible.

Otherwise, when I do watch news, I don't think much beyond the fact that the people on the screen are basically actors. Pretty faces don't necessarily mean anything to me, but I imagine the more "image obsessed" among us probably pay more attention to the pretty people. So what. It has little effect on my life.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,551,132 times
Amend that -- the sports "personalities" tend to have more of an effect on my life. As a Mariners baseball fan, the people that are in my living room every game day or night from April to October have a whopping effect. When a woman can actually talk real baseball, I tend to become blind to what she actually looks like. When the Mariners lost their "voice", Dave Neihaus, this year, it devastated me and it's going to be a whole different experience to be a fan this year without him. R.I.P. Dave.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times
Quote:

You mean like Crowley at CNN Sunday 'State Of the Union'?

There is one at CNN who seems to young to be the DC correspondant. I forget her name, but she is a young blond who reports from DC

Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,398,118 times
Quote:

Yeah, that Katie Couric - what a babe, and only 26!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,592,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Make up your mind.

Fiest you say, "And don't forget that all beautiful women are dumb as a box of rocks. They only get to where they are by sleeping their way to the top or with their looks".

Then you say, "It's quite insulting of you to say that a woman can't be both beautiful and smart.
I know many beautiful and smart women."
I believe the first one was intended as sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies