Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times

Advertisements

It's a cultural thing. We Americans like our guns. Really. It's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobee View Post
Hello, jobee UK [relations in san diego] why doesn't some one in government suggest gun libraries be given a trial in some small US city?

The US is saturated with guns, back in the UK I haven't seen a gun in years, our police walk around unarmed.

My relations in San diego have never owned a gun, most Americans dont own guns.

No criminals allowed guns, no children allowed guns, local hot heads- no.
Funny, I live in a city that is awash in guns and don't see a daily slaughter on my streets. Hell, I've got 10 of them in my safe, am teaching my kids how to shoot and enjoy the fact that every one of my fine firearms would make the average sodding Englishman pee his/her pants in fear and horror at it's mere existence. I like it that way. If you people want to do it differently on your side of pond, more power to you but this is OUR side.

BTW, NEVER make the silly assumption that San Diego (or California in general) is a good example of what American's generally do.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Here, it is the criminals shooting criminals, with a death of passion thrown in every now and then(if they both had a gun, one would not be so intent to make contact with the other after the break up)

Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The UK doesn't face the same crime issues that the US does. It has historically had a much lower murder rate than the US. Simply swapping culture-specific policies wouldn't do much to affect the murder rate, which is mainly driven by other factors.
Well, during modern times the UK has had a lower murder rate. If you go back to the Middle Ages, European nations had murder rates comparable to or higher than Colombia and South Africa.

Must have been all those guns...

Old 05-25-2011, 08:41 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobee View Post
Hello, jobee UK [relations in san diego] why doesn't some one in government suggest gun libraries be given a trial in some small US city?

The US is saturated with guns, back in the UK I haven't seen a gun in years, our police walk around unarmed.

My relations in San diego have never owned a gun, most Americans dont own guns.

No criminals allowed guns, no children allowed guns, local hot heads- no.

Is this a joke? Are you really asking these questions?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Relax mate. I have a veritable arsenal and have NO intention of using them on anyone. I also have 4 kids who know EXACTLY what to do if they stumble upon one at a friends house. Most kids probably don't know what to do by the way so in effect, I have educated them through the fear and ignorance of gun ownership so that they make NO tactical, legal, or moral mistakes. I do a good job of teaching them about responsibility with autos as well.

Hey, if you want to bop around the UK with a bunch of drunk youths tanked up on some warm swill because your refrigeration sucks yelling "Manchester United" before they proceed to kick the shiite out of each other, have at it. For my money, I prefer to get tanked on COLD beer if the need were to arise and to travel in relative safety for that one silly ol' sod who wants to "help me" drain my ATM late at night.

As I told that twiggy chick from Sveeeden, we should probably get kudos considering the millions of firearms we posess legally and not letting our anger get to the point where we annihilate each other? Based on guns per capita, we are probably the SAFEST country in the world with weapons? Think about, with a mere push of a button, Buckingham Palace and all points North, East, South, and West would take on an eerie glow forever more and yet, we refuse to do so. Imagine ANY other country with THAT much power having the ABILITY to hold the reins of THAT much power....and NOT use it?

Pretty cool, huh?

You see, just because we own them legally, doesn't directly correlate to us using them, illegally, now does it? We own a gazillion cars and yes, the deaths on American roadways are still high. However, considering just how MANY highways we have? Maybe not as bad as it seems.

In the end, I'm willing to live with the risk. We can go pretty much toe-to-toe with anyone in the world now. The coolest part is that we don't. We tend to only kill those that would try to kill us. We, for the most part, shower every day because we can. We drink our water because we can. We roam about freely because we can. We eat what we want because we can. Are we self-indulgent? Perhaps but, I counter that most would do the same in the world if only given the chance. Trust me, I have yet to meet a Somali that came over here and said, "whoa, take it easy on the red meat, I'm full!" Do you know of any?

Didn't think so. We do a pretty good job of keeping a lid on things and for the most part, don't criticize the habits too much of those outside of our country. We have enormous freedoms enjoyed by all to some of our detriment. We help those countries, including yours, stay safe and free as long as possible. Despite the record level of gun ownership, we still do a pretty good job of not killing each other. Casualties abound but, overall, I give us an A- considering all the guns out there. We even defend the right for visitors to criticize, debate it, but hold dear your right to do so.

It seems to me that while America is not perfect, you don't see people getting boats to leave the place now do you? It seems as much as we are criticized by every broke down individual all seem to be looking for an opportunity and most seem to find their way here. Personally, I would put up a intermittenly blinking "NO VACANCY" sign over the arm of the statue of liberty at this point and change the verbiage to something like " Do NOT send us your teeming masses....we already have all the "teeming" masses we can stand...all full"

Gun ownership? That's the least of our worries. Paying for all that foreign aid? Now THAT is a topic worth debatting....

Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I believe it's Switzerland not Sweden, and the reason they don't have as much gun crime is because they don't have a ton of poor people like we do.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Relax mate. I have a veritable arsenal and have NO intention of using them on anyone. I also have 4 kids who know EXACTLY what to do if they stumble upon one at a friends house. Most kids probably don't know what to do by the way so in effect, I have educated them through the fear and ignorance of gun ownership so that they make NO tactical, legal, or moral mistakes. I do a good job of teaching them about responsibility with autos as well.

Hey, if you want to bop around the UK with a bunch of drunk youths tanked up on some warm swill because your refrigeration sucks yelling "Manchester United" before they proceed to kick the shiite out of each other, have at it. For my money, I prefer to get tanked on COLD beer if the need were to arise and to travel in relative safety for that one silly ol' sod who wants to "help me" drain my ATM late at night.

As I told that twiggy chick from Sveeeden, we should probably get kudos considering the millions of firearms we posess legally and not letting our anger get to the point where we annihilate each other? Based on guns per capita, we are probably the SAFEST country in the world with weapons? Think about, with a mere push of a button, Buckingham Palace and all points North, East, South, and West would take on an eerie glow forever more and yet, we refuse to do so. Imagine ANY other country with THAT much power having the ABILITY to hold the reins of THAT much power....and NOT use it?

Pretty cool, huh?

You see, just because we own them legally, doesn't directly correlate to us using them, illegally, now does it? We own a gazillion cars and yes, the deaths on American roadways are still high. However, considering just how MANY highways we have? Maybe not as bad as it seems.

In the end, I'm willing to live with the risk. We can go pretty much toe-to-toe with anyone in the world now. The coolest part is that we don't. We tend to only kill those that would try to kill us. We, for the most part, shower every day because we can. We drink our water because we can. We roam about freely because we can. We eat what we want because we can. Are we self-indulgent? Perhaps but, I counter that most would do the same in the world if only given the chance. Trust me, I have yet to meet a Somali that came over here and said, "whoa, take it easy on the red meat, I'm full!" Do you know of any?

Didn't think so. We do a pretty good job of keeping a lid on things and for the most part, don't criticize the habits too much of those outside of our country. We have enormous freedoms enjoyed by all to some of our detriment. We help those countries, including yours, stay safe and free as long as possible. Despite the record level of gun ownership, we still do a pretty good job of not killing each other. Casualties abound but, overall, I give us an A- considering all the guns out there. We even defend the right for visitors to criticize, debate it, but hold dear your right to do so.

It seems to me that while America is not perfect, you don't see people getting boats to leave the place now do you? It seems as much as we are criticized by every broke down individual all seem to be looking for an opportunity and most seem to find their way here. Personally, I would put up a intermittenly blinking "NO VACANCY" sign over the arm of the statue of liberty at this point and change the verbiage to something like " Do NOT send us your teeming masses....we already have all the "teeming" masses we can stand...all full"

Gun ownership? That's the least of our worries. Paying for all that foreign aid? Now THAT is a topic worth debatting....
Thanks for making a point I hadn't used for a while. Right on, that people criticize the US, but we are 1 of the few nations on earth with people standing in line to get in. Relatively few people leave here. Your mention of a Somali reminds me of 20-30 families I've known from Liberia, Uganda, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Ethiopia & Congo. All level headed people who were grateful to come here, love the US and have no plans to return. All are hard working people who are an asset to our nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies