Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 07:40 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sure, why not? I tolerate every business, and don't even know where 99% of them stand on the various issues. I think this thread is 24 pages long for another reason, which has nothing to do with Chick-Fil-A specifically... it just turned into yet another "gay is fine" "no it's not!" debate by like page 2.

P.S. I didn't read the article's comments, so I can't say what they were pushing for exactly. Do they think the restaurant should be forced into changing things?
No. They are just exposing some.... fowl play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
No. They are just exposing some.... fowl play.
Ba-dum-bum-bum... *cymbal crash*

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Tolerance is defined to now mean submitting to a viewpoint you do not like.
It has been as you describe for years. Look at any discussion on abortion, same sex relations, the Confederate Flag, etc. They demand we be tolerant of them but, deny tolerance for anyone who disagrees with them.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Never eaten at one, and probably won't. If the story is true, I admire their honesty and straightforwardness, and willingness to lose customers. And I hope they lose a lot.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:26 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
All this talk about CFA is making me hungry. I think I need to go patronize one for lunch. Anyone care to join me?

I was going to go to Chipotle, but thanks to a thread here on CD I can see how many illegals are employed at them and will no longer go there. And I think the CFA lines will be shorter since I can be pretty much assured that no gays will be eating there.

I never realized how much valuable information I get here, aside from the entertainment value!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You mean your principles are less important then money?

Interesting....
What "principals" are you talking about? Discriminating against a minority in America? Financially supporting prejudiced lobby groups that are anti-equality? Publicly taking talking a position that defames and shows prejudice?

You know those lunch counters that refused service to people because of their color were standing up for a "principal" ...

I see Cracker Barrel had to do a complete about-face when they started firing all their gay employees and sent out a directive to discriminate against them and they were sued by these fired employees.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
With 43 years of straight up sales growth, the opinions of a few haters probably won't do much to hurt the Chick-fil-A bottom line.

They make a great shake too.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 01-28-2011 at 08:56 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Cracker Barrel had the same problem back in the day -
for firing gay workers. They are still around.
Folks will pick and choose where they go to eat. All joking aside (but I love this chicken humor) - I don't think you can put this controversy on the same level as being told you can't eat at a lunch counter

I remember when Cracker Barrel found themself in court over their policies. Actually asking on the application if a person was gay or not. Also if they found a current employee was gay they were fired. The company based in Tenn had to change their policies on hiring. Since then I haven't heard of more problems with the restaurant. If that restaurants policies were not predjudiced then I don't know what is.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
I am from Georgia and I have met Truett Cathy. I like the man. Most who read C-D know that I am probably left of center on most issues, but being gay is not a protected class and Chick-fil-A is not the govt.

I have done research on their business model and it is a very good one. They make no bones about the way they do business. Cathy believes being gay is a choice...I disagree, but I respect his beliefs. He believes he is doing what he believes his faith requires. He gives up millions every year by not opening on Sunday. I have to respect a man who follows his convictions.

It is a very family oriented company. Employees who work there are treated very well, but not everyone can work there. They do not discriminate based on race or anything that they feel is not a decision.

I may disagree with him, but I have met him and he is a good man. If you are not a family man or woman regardless of whether you are gay or not, you will have a difficult time making it in the company.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
I have always loved Chick-Fil-A. In high school we would race to the mall at lunchtime and get our Chick-Fil-A and then race back -- an in a 35 minute lunch period. It's hard to believe traffic was ever that light in Miami to let you get anywhere that quickly.
One of the signs that you were re-entering the United States when heading North out of Little Cuba (a.k.a. Miami) , was seeing Free-standing Chick-Fil-A's (i.e. not in Malls). I respect the fact that Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays, even though there have been many a Sunday that I have wanted to eat there. I love the taste of their food and think they have the best fast food chicken anywhere. They also have real honey and not some nasty honey sauce.
Chick-Fil-A also supports college football. When Florida State (my team) who the national championship they produces little Chick-Fil-A cows with the FSU logo and the phrase "Go Noles" on it. I bought several. No other team has gotten custom Chick-Fil-A cows and it pissed my UM friends off. That's always worth something in my book. In short, I love and respect Chick-Fil-A like I do very few companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies