Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times

Advertisements

Just pre-empting the mass influx of threads before/during/after the State of the Union discussing what was said and/or done.

Drinking Game rules have been posted.

Let the game begin tonight at 9PM EST.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-25-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,698 times
I can sum up the state of our union in 1 word & save you from wasting an hour on mind numbing political rhetoric, platitudes, spin & a migraine headache.

The state of our union is: BANKRUPT

Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
The only wasting that'd be going on tonight would be my alcohol, really. But I wouldn't call it wasted, seeing as how we'll be having friends over and making it a jolly grand party. But I'm pretty sure everyone will be wasted afterwards. Cheers, mate!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
I think it would be good to hear from the President, what has happened over the last year. Particularly as regards to the Economic Recovery. The Recession is over, for the Banks, Corporations and Wealthy. Those groups have fully recovered. The people that made their recovery possible, have yet to be so lucjky. If the President were to state that and call for the other recovered entities, led by the politicians, to do what the American people deserve. Do everything in their power to facilitate a middle class recovery, not just talk about it, actually do it.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,206 times
Default Why can't the State of the Union Address be on a Fri/Sat Night?

I figure it's the cheapest way to save on money for the networks. The President doesn't have to interrupt prime network TV shows. Afterall, Friday and Saturday night at the least watched TV shows.

So why don't the TV networks tell the White House to air the State of the Union Address at a timeslot where they can easily give up their regular programming?

It's not like it's "must see TV" The White House always releases the speech address hours before the speech anyways.

And the other key point about making it on a Friday/Saturday night. It forces members of Congress to actually stay in the Wash DC area instead of leaving for the weekend on a Thursday afternoon.

That way, Members of Congress can do a full week of work all the way through Friday and than stay for the State of the Union Address.

What do you guys/gals think about this Friday/Saturday for the State of the Union Address?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM

21,147 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
I can sum up the state of our union in 1 word & save you from wasting an hour on mind numbing political rhetoric, platitudes, spin & a migraine headache.

The state of our union is: BANKRUPT
Or maybe: "Let's pretend we're not bankrupt."

(5 words)

Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Rotflmao

Old 01-25-2011, 02:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Has any President ever given an address that accurately reflected the state of the union? It's pretty much self-congratulatory and vague plans.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:14 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,776 times
That's tonight? Yawn.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:09 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Oh boy, we will be able to count the lies per minute.

Bet he says we are on the road to recovery and everything is looking peachy.

Wonder if he will forget to mention 18 consecutive months of foreclosures, record bankruptcies that have been filed since he took office, record homeless living in tent cities, panhandlers by the dozens we never saw before.

I am looking forward to his speech just so we can prove his a major scam artist, liar and in over his head.

As of today we are in the worst economic position since the depression but you wont hear this from him.

Wonder if he is going to tell us how many jobs he has saved and how the stimulus has worked so well.

I will be shocked if he comes out and is honest with us and tells us the truth of how things are not going very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies