Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Finally, someone serious about cutting the budget. Of course, it doesn't stand a snow ball's chance of happening, but, I applaud the suggestion and am actually writing to his office to tell him so:

GOP senator favors cutting US aid to Israel - Politics - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41313690/ns/politics/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
This should be fun thread. Rand Paul, the man libs love to hate, stating something libs have pushed for years. How many will line up and say he's right?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Cut ALL foreign aid. Close 80% of our overseas bases, and let the world pay to police its own corners.

We are NOT and empire! I really had hopes that Obama would have at least made a dent in this, but like his predecessors, he's silent on the issue.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 PM

256 posts, read 216,451 times
Israel is not a poor country. If they want military assistance from us (particularly in a non-war setting), why shouldn't they pay for it?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
Isn't Israel our strongest ally in the ME ? I don't understand how they could not be a relatively poor country, seriously, what do they have to export, manufacture, etc, etc ? I occasionally see clothes with a label "made in Israel" but that is the extent of my knowledge of their economy.

Why would we cut off aid to an ally ? Why do we keep pouring money into Pakistan and they hate our guts ? There are rich people in Pakistan, as well.

Just askin'

Old 01-28-2011, 05:19 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Isn't Israel our strongest ally in the ME ? I don't understand how they could not be a relatively poor country, seriously, what do they have to export, manufacture, etc, etc ? I occasionally see clothes with a label "made in Israel" but that is the extent of my knowledge of their economy.

Why would we cut off aid to an ally ? Why do we keep pouring money into Pakistan and they hate our guts ? There are rich people in Pakistan, as well.

Just askin'
Israel is an incredibly rich country with or without US support. Regarding allies:

"peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances
with none." - Jefferson

I was sceptic about Rand Paul and still am, but so far he seems to be on the right way

Old 01-28-2011, 05:27 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
Israel is not a poor country. If they want military assistance from us (particularly in a non-war setting), why shouldn't they pay for it?
There was this question on Jeopardy about which nation had the highest ratio of doctors to patients. Guess

Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 PM

256 posts, read 216,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Just askin'
If there is any justification to pouring money into Pakistan, it would be that they are helping us fight a war at the moment.

We provide free military support around the world, by the mere fact of having a military presence in so many locations. Does it benefit the US to do this? Yes, most certainly, just as its nice to have the local police stop in for free doughnuts and coffee.

But why should we not cut back on our aid to countries that can afford to pay their own way? If we had the money, then fine, use it to boost relationships and support our allies.

But let me ask another question. I know that Israel has been considered one of our staunch allies for a long time, but what exactly do we get from Israel? What makes them an ally? Are they considered an ally only on the basis that they are not an enemy?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Finally, someone serious about cutting the budget. Of course, it doesn't stand a snow ball's chance of happening, but, I applaud the suggestion and am actually writing to his office to tell him so:

GOP senator favors cutting US aid to Israel - Politics - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41313690/ns/politics/ - broken link)
I took a vow, after the Tucson shooting, to moderate my use of abusive language and personal attacks. Therefore, as far as Rand Paul and his suggestion to eliminate aid to Israel goes....grrrrrrrrr...grrrrrrrr (God, this is hard!!!)

Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
"Rand Paul "Cut U.S. Military Aid to Israel"

This is known as 'political suicide". Surely, he's on AIPAC's hit list now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies