Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Medical savings accounts with a high deductable.

Next!
The average medical cost of an Amrican is $ 7200 per year. About half a million over a lifetime.

Average means that some people will be much cheaper, and that it only takes a slippery patch of ice or a drunk driver for someones costs to soar well beyond that.

And while most medical costs happen late in life, that is not guaranteed. It is quite possible for someones first child to cost more than that before he is five. And before is parents are out of their twenties.

And the thing about a savings accont is that if you have one problem, and get it fixed, this in no way means that you or a family member will not have another accident or problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,304,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
It is beyond my understanding why some people in the US are so opposed to universal health care. Everyone should be able to see a doctor when they are sick, it should not depend on how rich or lucky you are. I mean how can you deny treatment to a sick person, that is just cruel. The US is a great country, but this is one of the reasons why I would not want to live there.

Where I live we think that society should be based on social justice and on solidarity. It's a good feeling not to have to worry about horrendous medical bills, should you ever become ill. And it's a good feeling to know that society won't turn its back on you in difficult times.
Yes - I fully agree.

It seems here that the most exposed are the middle classes - if you have *some* money but are not enrolled in a company scheme funded by your employer (ie: self employed) then you either go uninsured or you end up paying a small fortune in premiums to a company whose main priority is ultimately to make a PROFIT from you and who can reasonably be expected to try their best to deny your claim if at all possible. It's a complete f'ing rip off.

No "civilised" country should expect its middle classes to toil away, pay their taxes and yet expect them to pay through the nose for a "benefit" that may never materialise - and subsequently live with the constant worry of knowing that they could face bankruptcy and lose EVERYTHING should they have the misfortune to become ill/have an accident and their "insurer" decide not to pay up.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Default and.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire View Post
But what if they don't have any money left after paying to eat out 5 times a week and having Showtime, HBO and The Movie Channel? What are we going to do about that? How will they ever get an I-phone IV or have a data package that allows them to stare at their phone all day? Shouldn't we create a government program for those who don't know how to spend their money, it's only fair.
The government program is already created, it's called school. If someone cares more about HBO and IPHONES then paying their bills, let them be taken to court.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:58 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Here is my read on the discussion so far.

1. Republicans are opposed to Obamacare. Thats okay as I am no big fan of it either.

2. They believe that a private health care system is better than a public one.

3. However, and despite asking, no-one has said they are in favor of refusing people treatment if they cannot pay.

4. Therefore, if everyone will be treated regardless, we have a UHC system. It isn't a very good one and there are lots of inefficiencies but it exists.

5. Republicans have no solution when it comes to paying for this UHC. Their mantra of personal responsibility just means that they are okay with taxpayers and the insured to pay for those who cannot. They clearly do not accept the concept that, if everyone is covered then everyone should pay.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 AM

Default Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The "cheap labor job" my daughter has is teaching pre-school to two year olds, so their yuppie parents can go off and make 2-3X what she does. She does have company-provided insurance, but she sure as H*** can't afford a high-deductible policy OR an HSA with thousands of dollars in it.

Oh, come on! How do you know that's how "these people" are spending their money? I can assure at $10.50/hr, that's not what most of them are doing.
Actually, it is true. In fact I know someone personally, who while they were pregnant, and unable to work full time, ended up with 2, yes count them, TWO Iphones, 1 for him and 1 for her, and no, he doesn't make a LOT of money, and yes they were purchased with money that would have been better spent on supplies for the up and coming addition to the world.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 AM

8,894 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post

Where I live we think that society should be based on social justice and on solidarity.
Well here some of us believe in personal responsibility, if you are able-bodied.

We have Medicare for the old, Medicaid for the poor and disabled, and SCHIP for children.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
If you think Obamacare is an abomination then what is your solution for the millions of poor Americans who cannot afford extensive, critical health care?
the first solution is get government out of the health care busssiness

that includes the costly FDA

w
2nd...get rid of the BS lawsuits

3rd...pay for the service you got....ie dont expect anybody else or any entity to pay YOUR bill....get rid of insurance

3,264 posts, read 5,592,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well here some of us believe in personal responsibility, if you are able-bodied.

We have Medicare for the old, Medicaid for the poor and disabled, and SCHIP for children.
Hey. Minor correction: Medicare is for disabled and/or elderly. Source: The gov't The United States Social Security Administration

The disabled will often legally use Medicaid during the yes-or-no waiting period, meaning the period before they receie the official gov't decision/paperwork saying that they're disabled (or able to work). Again, I wanna stress it's perfectly legal for them to do so, and being that the average wait (of the yes-or-no period) is over 2 years, it's easy to understand why they would use Medicaid as a safety net. When disability activates, Medicaid is cancelled in 99.9 percent of cases. There's a gov't agency that oversees to that. However, I need to say your post isn't entirely wrong, because if a low-income person applies for disability and is denied, then they often "just stay" on Medicaid.

Last edited by grimace8; 02-04-2011 at 07:24 AM..

Here's another good answer.

The federal government takes 42% of your earnings. End of story, and you get health care, and your taxes paid. (42% btw would be the average tax paid by a european citizen).

Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,957 times
Just remember people. ALL life is sacred. As long as that life is in someone else's uterus. When the baby is out of the uterus it can drop dead. Because pro-life Republicans firmly believe that a fetus is innocent but the rest us are guilty and deserve to drop dead if we do not have medical insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies