Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

I have what seems like a pretty simple and effective way to address crime involving firearms. One that doesn't impact law abiding gun owners. Why not simply make the theft of a firearm a federal felony with a mandatory 10 year prison sentence. No plea bargins, no fines, go directly to jail. Add to that possession of a stolen firearm (with a reasonable mechanism to allow someone to determine that a gun was not stolen, such as a database with SNs only for guns reported as lost or stolen). Make the penalty for such a crime severe enough that criminals won't want want anything to do with firearms theft.

Seems like a simple idea. It punishes only the criminal and protects the rights of the law abiding. It should help keep the largest source of guns out of the hands of violent criminals. It also helps law abiding gun owners by offering a deterrant to theft of their property.

What say you? Can you buy into this? Or will you only accept "gun control" that punishes the law abiding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,950 times
I like 20 years better.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
I don't have an opinion, just a question.

What happens if the stolen gun is sold in the private market to an unsuspecting Joe?

What happens to prosecutorial discretion?

Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have what seems like a pretty simple and effective way to address crime involving firearms. One that doesn't impact law abiding gun owners. Why not simply make the theft of a firearm a federal felony with a mandatory 10 year prison sentence. No plea bargins, no fines, go directly to jail. Add to that possession of a stolen firearm (with a reasonable mechanism to allow someone to determine that a gun was not stolen, such as a database with SNs only for guns reported as lost or stolen). Make the penalty for such a crime severe enough that criminals won't want want anything to do with firearms theft.

Seems like a simple idea. It punishes only the criminal and protects the rights of the law abiding. It should help keep the largest source of guns out of the hands of violent criminals. It also helps law abiding gun owners by offering a deterrant to theft of their property.

What say you? Can you buy into this? Or will you only accept "gun control" that punishes the law abiding?
It won't happen because it makes too much sense.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

What happens if the stolen gun is sold in the private market to an unsuspecting Joe?

Quote:
with a reasonable mechanism to allow someone to determine that a gun was not stolen, such as a database with SNs only for guns reported as lost or stolen

Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

As I said:

Quote:
(with a reasonable mechanism to allow someone to determine that a gun was not stolen, such as a database with SNs only for guns reported as lost or stolen).
I'm not exactly sure how to impliment this. What happens if you buy a used gun, check the database and it's not on it. Then it gets reported stolen and added at a later date? Open to suggestions.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:

Sure, I can agree with that.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Quote:

Sounds good to me. I can come right back at you with the logic of: Any long sentence won't mean anything to a criminal on the run or a druggie that is so high that he cannot comprehend the severity of it.
Thus we don't need this law. Same logic i have seen against background checks.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:36 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,950 times
A database to track is very doable, but, the government wont allow it. It would involve not having names listed.

There was a business many years back that leased out bank vault boxes but was tracked by a number and key. No names were use. Government did not like and shut that down. Big bro's gotta know!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
The NRA has supported making punishment for those who break the law stronger but the problem is, if the government refuses in so many cases to enforce the current laws, once again, how will making even more laws solve anything?

If the government would simply enforce current laws it would make a difference. Rather than do that though, they wanted to put more restrictions on law abiding citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies