Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

Credit to SWAT mag, a very fine mag, for reporting on this. A web site called policeone.com conducted a survey of over 15,000 police officers regarding their views on gun control:
PoliceOne's Gun Control Survey: 11 key lessons from officers' perspectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT mag
When asked if officers believe a ban on semiautomatic weapons would have an effect on violent crime, 71% said no

When asked if a federal ban on the manufacture and sale of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds would reduce violent crime, 95.7% said no.

As to whether or not the concept of a national database tracking all legal gun sales was a good idea, 70% said it was not.

On the subject of tragedies like Newtown and Aurora, 80% responded that the presence of a legally armed citizen could have made a difference.
The 10 round mag limitation is perhaps the holy grail of gun control advocates. Google '10 round magazine limit+common sense' and you get almost 5 million results, with Huffpo at the top. I always found it to be common nonsense, since bad guys can carry more than one magazine. It appears that only 4.3 percent of cops are on Huffpost's side, and 95.7% agree w/ me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 11:44 PM

I know there are a bunch of lib posters who regard the 10 round mag limit as the ultimate in "common sense," the "crowning victory" of common sense, so to speak. No comments from them?????

About 10 years ago in Washington state, a US attorney who lived here pushed a ballot measure for gun control. It was mainly a licensing/registration scheme, but had a confiscation provision that cops in particular did not like. I think they did not want to be the suckers who would have to enforce it, so they came out in overwhelming opposition.

Allen Gottlieb helped run the campaign against the measure, and ran ad after ad featuring cops who spoke against the proposal. Voters voted it down by a 71-29% margin.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
I posted this survey many months ago. Liberals and others put me down and the survey. I am a police officer and MOST police officers DO NOT believe in gun control. We believe in reasonable measures: Background checks, convicted felons not purchasing guns, etc. However, a ban on any type of weapon, the MAJORITY of line level police officers are against it.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I posted this survey many months ago. Liberals and others put me down and the survey. I am a police officer and MOST police officers DO NOT believe in gun control. We believe in reasonable measures: Background checks, convicted felons not purchasing guns, etc. However, a ban on any type of weapon, the MAJORITY of line level police officers are against it.
The stats for this have been this way for many, many years.

The anti-gunners, usually dems, bring out the mayor's assoc. which is mostly lberal cities and dem controlled and try to portray that the law enforcement community is FOR gun control.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Credit to SWAT mag, a very fine mag, for reporting on this. A web site called policeone.com conducted a survey of over 15,000 police officers regarding their views on gun control:
PoliceOne's Gun Control Survey: 11 key lessons from officers' perspectives

The 10 round mag limitation is perhaps the holy grail of gun control advocates. Google '10 round magazine limit+common sense' and you get almost 5 million results, with Huffpo at the top. I always found it to be common nonsense, since bad guys can carry more than one magazine. It appears that only 4.3 percent of cops are on Huffpost's side, and 95.7% agree w/ me.
Liberals and guns = no common sense.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:09 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,506 times
survey: police officers overwhelmingly oppose gun control, including so-called "common sense" measures

This comes as no surprise. Mostly only the "political" chiefs and commissioners are the ones supporting gun control.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Liberals and guns = no common sense.
Perhaps so, but I would have expected at least one liberal to respond with logical fallacies, gibberish, or non-sequiturs. I guess they are at a loss for words with this one.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
This is nothing new. That survey is done every year, and every year, the results are pretty much the same.

The anti-gun zealots will usually dismiss this poll, and instead point you to polling done by the Association of Police Chiefs, which shows results favorable to their cause. What they leave out is that "police chief" is a political position, not one of law enforcement.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:45 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,995 times
And many dentists recommend using a toothbrush.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
gun grabbers and guns = no common sense.
fixed it. there are many liberals on this board that are solid second amendment supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies