Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

Glenn Beck's book, "Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government" is Number One according to the Associated Press. It's not just Number One in Non-Fiction. It's Number One for all books. The seller sources are at the bottom of the list.

The Associated Press: BC-US--Best Sellers-Books-USAToday

I read it last night and I have to say if you think this book just talks about Democrats in a bad way, you would be wrong. Beck takes on the Republicans/George Bush, as well, throughout the book. In fact, he pretty much says there's no difference between the two parties, especially when it comes to out of control spending. The book is in paperback. You can read it in one day.

One of the things Beck asks in the book is whether you think you are wasting your vote by voting for a third party candidate. He says the number of people that call themselves "independent" is now on the rise.

My question to all of you is what do you think it would take/what would be the tipping point to get the American public to support third party candidates (not just presidential elections)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally posted by LauraC
My question to all of you is what do you think it would take/what would be the tipping point to get the American public to support third party candidates (not just presidential elections)?
You know, Laura, that's a good question: Here's my thought.

An unbelievable abuse of power . Not regular stuff we call abuse, but stuff like The Alien and Sedition acts passed by the Federalists--stuff that so obviously violates the constitution that no one, left or right can deny it. The Jeffersonians eventually supplanted the Federalists.

2. A major issue that the public wants addressed, but both parties are trying to ignore: Example: The Dems and Whigs wouldn't touch the slavery issue, and the Whigs, the weaker party, suffered as a result of the Kansas Nebraska Act, paving the way for the Republicans.

Those are just my thoughts.

About Glenn Beck: I've never seen his show, but my problem with most libertarians is that they seem nuts. They never want the government to do anything. Government can never be small enough.I mean, why don't you just call yourselves anarchists and get it over with? That's where I'm at on that one.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:32 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,915 times
Both parties have adopted the guns and butter model of government. Are huge government deficits year after year good for the economy? Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I am not an economist so I have no qualifications to speak on the subject. What is really upsetting to me is that I don't know if those in power nationally have the best interests of the country at heart. I have the same doubts about President Obama.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Glenn Beck's book, "Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government" is Number One according to the Associated Press. It's not just Number One in Non-Fiction. It's Number One for all books. The seller sources are at the bottom of the list.

The Associated Press: BC-US--Best Sellers-Books-USAToday

I read it last night and I have to say if you think this book just talks about Democrats in a bad way, you would be wrong. Beck takes on the Republicans/George Bush, as well, throughout the book. In fact, he pretty much says there's no difference between the two parties, especially when it comes to out of control spending. The book is in paperback. You can read it in one day.

One of the things Beck asks in the book is whether you think you are wasting your vote by voting for a third party candidate. He says the number of people that call themselves "independent" is now on the rise.

Beck is not a republican, he a man without a party, because both parties have been losing their minds.

Many people think when a person disagrees with 0bama, its because they are a partisan republican, and they do not realize that the same people disagreeing with 0bama, also disagreed with most of what Bush was responsible for. Its called having a set of principles, and not wishing to see government waste taxpayer money to gain power and favors, as if it grew on a tree, or simply came off a printing press.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Beck is not a republican, he a man without a party, because both parties have been losing their minds.

Many people think when a person disagrees with 0bama, its because they are a partisan republican, and they do not realize that the same people disagreeing with 0bama, also disagreed with most of what Bush was responsible for. Its called having a set of principles, and not wishing to see government waste taxpayer money to gain power and favors, as if it grew on a tree, or simply came off a printing press.
Off topic, let me say that your reference to the money tree and the printing press seem to be the method the Dems will use to finance that "free" medical care THING.

Also in accord with being partisan if you don't like Obama as President you are called racist for so doing. I guess Beck is one of the worst racists around, next to me, if that is the case.

If a third party runs something other than a Presidential candidate and a couple of governors I might vote for them, but until they have enough of an organization to take part in government, I just can't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies