Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
That's what the emergency brake is for. Slow the rear of the car down, keep it behind the front, and let you smack em again, causing more damage to the car, and requiring a greater output from your insurance to them, as well as your well deserved ticket. @@@
That's why it's always safer and easier to just scoot around the left lane campers to their right then brake check them into their dashboard, they'll eventually learn to get out of the way or pay attention to the people behind them flashing their headlights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Darkatt

In your state of VA the law states the following...

46.2-804(1)46.2-842.1 requires vehicles in the left lane to yield to faster traffic; State Police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding.

That means you are indeed breaking the law by not moving out of the passing lane even if the person behind you is speeding. In other words, get out of the left lane and let people by you before you get run over.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Ha, MOgal, how about YOU get over it until you get your LEO badge and start cruising the freeways in your state and can start citing all those left-lane scofflaws.
So you blatantly deny that the left lane was designed for passing? Really?

From the Washington state statutes:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.a...true#46.61.030

Quote:
<A name=46.61.100 ??> <H3>46.61.100
Keep right except when passing, etc.
Quote:

</B>(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes and providing for two-way movement traffic under the rules applicable thereon;

(d) Upon a street or highway restricted to one-way traffic; or

(e) Upon a highway having three lanes or less, when approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, tow truck or other vehicle providing roadside assistance while operating warning lights with three hundred sixty degree visibility, or police vehicle as described under *RCW <A href="#46.61.212">46.61.212(2).

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

(3) No vehicle towing a trailer or no vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds may be driven in the left-hand lane of a limited access roadway having three or more lanes for traffic moving in one direction except when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when a left turn is legally permitted. This subsection does not apply to a vehicle using a high occupancy vehicle lane. A high occupancy vehicle lane is not considered the left-hand lane of a roadway. The department of transportation, in consultation with the Washington state patrol, shall adopt rules specifying (a) those circumstances where it is permissible for other vehicles to use the left lane in case of emergency or to facilitate the orderly flow of traffic, and (b) those segments of limited access roadway to be exempt from this subsection due to the operational characteristics of the roadway.

(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.

(5) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall not be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under subsection (1)(b) of this section. However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.
[2007 c 83 § 2; 1997 c 253 § 1; 1986 c 93 § 2; 1972 ex.s. c 33 § 1; 1969 ex.s. c 281 § 46; 1967 ex.s. c 145 § 58; 1965 ex.s. c 155 § 15.]
</H3>

Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
That's why it's always safer and easier to just scoot around the left lane campers to their right then brake check them into their dashboard, they'll eventually learn to get out of the way or pay attention to the people behind them flashing their headlights.
I had one left lane camper who objected to me going round them on the right so they came up on my left and just sat there so that if I came up on someone ahead of me I could not get around them. This was on I17 going north past Orme/Dugas and it was at night so very little traffic. Now, there is a place up that hill where the cops like to hang out ... right before Cherry Rd. .... so I just gradually increased my speed and the other guy did too. Then, as we came around the corner I slowed down quick and the guy shot past me. Sure enough, the cops were there but, sadly, had pulled someone else over so they never got my guy. Still, he had to jam on his brakes and I think he got the message because I had no more trouble from him.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM

26,580 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
They shouldn't get a ticket, but they SHOULD know the left lane is for passing. .
agreed. last year i drove from manchester, england to london. basically a 2 lane highway the entire time. the only time people went in the left lane was to pass then got back in the right. best driving experience of my life.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post

Signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean slower than the posted speed LIMIT. You're not obstructing traffic if you're obeying the law in the left lane.

(Disclaimer: Reformed speeder and tailgater.)

How did you decide that?

I thought "slower traffic keep right" meant exactly that. Slower than other traffic. So if you are driving slower than the traffic around you, you get in the right lane.

That's nothing new.

If they wanted a rule as you have suggested, the sign would say "slower than the speed limit keep right".

Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,391 times
I am no longer a speeder or tailgater because age caught up with me and I am quite happy to stay in the right lane 99% of the time. When I do have to use the left lane, I quickly pass and get "right" back to where I should be. I have never attempted to enforce the speed limit as I am not an LEO -- and road rage is not something I ever want directed at me for the way I choose to drive, which is courteously and carefully at all times without texting behind the wheel.

This thread was posted for an exploration of opinion on both the literal and the figurative lawful meanings associated with "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and the use of the left lane on our freeways. It's been quite eye-opening and entertaining to see the cognitive dissonance and rationalization expressed, ha, ha.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 02-09-2011 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Discuss topic, not posters

Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
agreed. last year i drove from manchester, england to london. basically a 2 lane highway the entire time. the only time people went in the left lane was to pass then got back in the right. best driving experience of my life.
Europeans tend to be better at lane discipline than we are and overtaking on the right (left in England) is a big no-no. Generally, if you are in the passing lane a car coming up behind you will wait for you to pull over. If you do not, they will flash their lights to ask you to do so. 99.9% of Europeans will pull over after getting flashed. They don't seem to feel the need to play the vigilante like some posters on here.

Generally, Europeans drive faster than we do and that is especially true in Germany. If they did not respect lane discipline their roads would be killing fields.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
You're breaking the law by being in the passing lane and passing nobody, you're intentionally and willfully breaking the law as well.

In modern traffic planning, passing lanes on freeways are usually designed for through/express traffic, while the inner lanes have entry/exit ramps. However, many freeways often have ramps on the passing lane, these are known as "left exits" in North America.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
That means you are indeed breaking the law by not moving out of the passing lane even if the person behind you is speeding. In other words, get out of the left lane and let people by you before you get run over.
There have been times, I swear to you (and other folks who drive the speed limit will attest to this as well), when I have passed a slow moving vehicle (usually a semi), and I CANNOT get back into the right hand lane because the insane jerks following me MUST PASS ME ON THE RIGHT before I can get over into that lane again. I even have my BLINKER ON, and they cannot wait 5 seconds for me to actually pull over, but must pass me.

It really makes you shake your head and wonder what in the hell they are thinking.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies