Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
you know what i meant and no nothing was shot in the video.. but when wildlife attack domesticated animals which is how they survive and are their natural instinct they are captured and shot understand..

so should the dog be shot(, why not? the owner prosecuted no. Oh and perhaps you should try not to sound smart
Thank you for illustrating that you lack any grasp or understanding of the concept of why the killing of nuisance animals, be it from property destruction, crop depredation, or exceeding the carrying capacity, is a well accepted practice.

Are you home from school today? If so, drag out your English book and make friends with Mr. Grammar and Mrs. Punctuation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thank you for illustrating that you lack any grasp or understanding of the concept of why the killing of nuisance animals, be it from property destruction, crop depredation, or exceeding the carrying capacity, is a well accepted practice.

Are you home from school today? If so, drag out your English book and make friends with Mr. Grammar and Mrs. Punctuation.

not offended *****

Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
Even Michigan lawyers are confused about whether his actions constituted animal cruelty:

"While I disagree with the intentional killing of any animal, it appears as if the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office is setting a confusing precedent by choosing to charge this man with animal cruelty. MCL 750.50b defines an animal as any animal having a vertebrae, other than a human being. Obviously, a raccoon is an animal with a vertebrae, however, a mouse is also a vertebrate."

Man faces misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty after his dog kills young raccoon that caused some damage to garage | MLive.com « Michigan Criminal Attorney's Blog

Looks like you'd better adopt the policy of SSS for any actions you take against a pest animal with a spine in Michigan.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

My ESS tried for a skunk; it wasn't pretty and the skunk won.

P.U.
I have no idea what ESS means but I had a Great Dane that lost to a skunk. That was really bad.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I have no idea what ESS means but I had a Great Dane that lost to a skunk. That was really bad.
ESS = English Springer Spaniel. He was a rescue, black & white field bred with long tail. Probably figured the skunk was a cousin.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
I'm having a good laugh at the folks trying to blame liberals for a state's hunting season laws or the law against using dogs in a hunt. Talk about projecting your own personal bias on a situation where it doesn't remotely belong. I'm willing to bet both of those state laws were around for the last 80-100 years.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'm having a good laugh at the folks trying to blame liberals for a state's hunting season laws or the law against using dogs in a hunt. Talk about projecting your own personal bias on a situation where it doesn't remotely belong. I'm willing to bet both of those state laws were around for the last 80-100 years.
Michigan is not against hunting some game with dogs in season.

There were in fact a few changes with the democratic governor but, nothing major.

The big bill was the bear hunt outfitters having liability while using state land.

Nothing has changed, yet.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You do know this was not a hunt, right???

Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
My Dad had a pair of Manx Cats. When they were up at their cabin in Colorado for the summer a raccoon, literally broke into their garage where the cats slept at night and almost killed one of the cats. My Dad took her to the Vet, had her taken care of. When she was back home, that night the same raccoon (large male) came back in and killed her. My Dad was not a cruel man but he put out food and sat up to wait for the raccoon and shot him when he came for the food.

I don't consider that animal cruelty. My Father took no pleasure in it but it had to be done. This male raccoon was out of control and had found a way through the eves of the garage to get into the house, even after my Father had tried to seal it up.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:56 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You do know this was not a hunt, right???
I do and I also bothered to actually read the article in the OP where the law enforcement personnel explained the law of that state. According to the police department's spoke's man, in that state, only licensed professionals can kill or capture pets such as raccoons outside of hunting season and no dogs are allowed to be used per state law. That is exactly what the article said.

Personally, I would have charged him with violations of the state hunting laws (for hunting without a license, out of season, and violating the state hunting dog laws) rather then with animal cruelty but the official position was explained very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies