Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Here's a good example of a "certain somebody" speaking "black" in order to curry favor and seem more like "one of their own" to get votes.

Disgusting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egJ8NtvVFs8

This one is better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWigzBClEk8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
First thing that came to mind is Silver Streak, when Richard Pryor helps Gene Wilder act black. "We bad, we bad."

Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygem View Post
here's a good example of a "certain somebody" speaking "black" in order to curry favor and seem more like "one of their own" to get votes.

Disgusting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egj8ntvvfs8
lol

Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
If one can perceive that someone is acting _______ (fill in the blank), then yes, someone is "acting" that way. It's all in the perception of the one doing the perceiving.

The "acting" doesn't have to be racially connected. I might perceive that someone is acting "like a dork" and someone else may think it's funny.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 AM

19 posts, read 13,645 times
I'm white, and grew up in NYC around many ethnicities. I like hip-hop probably because I grew up around those who listened to it. Some of my friends say I "act black" when listening to rap; I just blame it on my peers growing up, lol. Nothing to be ashamed of. Who really cares?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM

18 posts, read 30,139 times
I so so sick of it! I have like what they called a "white accent" (so very ignorant) and It's always hard to make friends with other black people with a southern twang. Most of them call me a sell out

Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Just curious to know is there a such thing as acting Black or acting white?

What are some examples?
Not literally but figuratively, yes. And, whenever I've heard the statement, it is usually when, for example, Person A is criticizing Person B for having (or mimicking) the mannerisms, aspirations, attitudes, characteristics of individuals from another ethnic group or race. I recall during my high school days some Hispanic kids asking why "Jose" was acting white, i.e. studying hard in school, earning good grades, and wanting to go to college (oh my!). The assumption being that this was what only white people do. It was an absurd assumption and the term is never (in my experience) a term of endearment, pride, or respect.

[I don't hear it often, if at all, these days]

Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
I believe people act and talk depending on where they were raised, and who they hang around with, and how their parents acted.

If you're white and were born in a neighborhood where the majority of the residents are black, and your friends are black you'll most likely talk like them.
Same thing if you're black and grew up in "white" neighborhood.

How does one talk and act black?

Please explain?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
oh good grief............there's always one Ne**o that has to come in and scream to the rooftops.

Dude shut-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
And what's more, as a black man myself, it makes my blood boil to know that you get more credit/notoriety/'props' for being some gun-toting, do-rag wearing, thugged-out nimrod, as opposed to someone who tries to act as though they have some manners, intelligence, and education---and then gets labeled a sell-out...

'Sell-out'? Are you ******* kidding me? 'Acting white?' Golly gee, I'm a sellout and I'm acting white, because I'm out here trying to be a good neighbor and friend? Or maybe, uhhh, working 2 jobs to put myself through school/or help my ailing parent(s) with bills and food and stuff? I'm a sellout because I try to act like I have a purpose in life, and like I'm actually able to get off my a** and DO something, instead of talking like I have a mouthful of marbles and swaggering around like I'm auditioning for the role of 'Big Bruno The Mad Killer Of Cellblock D' on 'Beyond Scared Straight'?

I'll say this...the phenomenon of 'acting white' isn't just germane to the black community---it happens in every racial/ethnic group across America, if not the world...there's always gonna be those who want to make something of themselves, and act like they want something from life, and they get dissed because some idiot or idiots are being admired for walking around like brain-challenged howler monkeys, and this is the height of cool...

Please...if acting like I had home training and education and manners makes me a sellout, then count me in...I'd rather be a 'sellout' with potential than walking around acting like I'm being measured for a jail cell or an early grave, in the name of being 'cool'

Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
How does one talk and act black?

Please explain?
Ohmigod why did you revive this thread?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies