Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:12 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You underestimate the satisfaction and support for President Obama (seen a recent poll?).

Also, state contests are an entirely different bag of worms than a national election.

I don't put much stock in a poll to determine the outcome of a race more than a year away.

You have swerved into the truth about the states however, with the Republicans gaining in state houses and the census favoring red states, that does provide an advantage for Republicans in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You underestimate the dissatisfaction with Obama. Anyone, short of Palin, would unify the party and attract independents. We saw in the midterm with the same dynamic, that the Dems got crushed.
Bachmann?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bachmann?

She isn't even in the running as far as I know.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post

Really?

Last I heard, financial ruin wasn't all that popular.

US in United States 1980-2010 - Federal State Local Federal Deficit As Percent Of GDP&state=US&color=c&local=s

Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
My vote for 2012 is simple.

"Not Barry"

Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM

256 posts, read 216,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Here you go :
Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Average gas prices--January 5, 2009

On Jan 5th a couple of weeks before Obama entered office the average price of a gal of gas was 1.68.
Well, I certainly don't remember gas prices falling so far from the peak of over $4.00 a gallon during the summer of 2008. But the data is the data, so there you have it.

In any case, I'm not sure that people will remember the lows as much as they remember the highs. So from a high of over $4.00 in 2008 to an estimated $3.50 in 2012 seems like a bargain in the works.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And this has what to do with the President, exactly?

Gas prices are driven by supply (which is controlled by OPEC), instability in countries that supply oil (haven't seen any of that lately, have we??), and refinerty disruptions due to anything from a hurricane to a shutdown for upgrades/maintenance. Maybe I'm just not smart enough- but please show me how the President affects any of those items.....
He doesn't,but I used to live in a {D} stronghold and if I had a dime for family and friends who blamed Bush for gas prices and how he was in bed with big oil I would be semi rich. I agree with your take and could add more reasons on what drives oil prices, but to be considerate of the OP it is not the topic of the thread.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 PM

256 posts, read 216,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I don't put much stock in a poll to determine the outcome of a race more than a year away.

You have swerved into the truth about the states however, with the Republicans gaining in state houses and the census favoring red states, that does provide an advantage for Republicans in 2012.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I think it will depend a lot on how well state economies recover over the next 18 months.

While the Republicans have gained seats, they have also gained responsibility. And it's a tricky situation to be in for them. If they follow through with their promises to cut the budget (state level, I'm talking about), there will always be people upset that their slice of the pie got cut. And if they don't follow through and no budget cutting gets done, there will be a lot of people upset at their hollow promises.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:31 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
How soon you forget that while Republicans controlled all 3 branches of government and engaged us in 2 wars in a major oil-producing part of the world, causing tension and worries over peak oil, oil prices soared to nearly $150/barrel.

And how soon you forget (or perhaps didn't know in the first place), that the Bush near-Depression Recession caused a severe reduction in demand, which caused the price of oil to plummet back to pre-war levels temporarily. These were the prices we were seeing when President Obama was sworn in. So I think it's downright hilarious that some are attempting to "give credit" to Bush or the Republicans for low gas prices at the beginning of President Obama's term.

The market is now stabilizing due to economic recovery world-wide and the end of the war in Iraq. What we're seeing is where gas prices would have naturally gravitated to on a steady graph without the instability of the market and a world-wide economic crash.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
The election is 21 months away. Far too early for any big bold projections. A lot can happen in the meantime.

At this point in 2007, almost everybody thought the 2008 race would be Giuliani vs Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies