Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:36 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,455,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Maybe I'm just not smart enough- but please show me how the President affects any of those items.....
Invade a sovereign nation that is a major oil producer, creating instability in the crude oil market, for one. Drive the economy into a near-Depression, losing hundreds of thousands of jobs a month, forcing people into using alternative means of transportation, reducing demand, for another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

I don't put much stock in a poll to determine the outcome of a race more than a year away.

You have swerved into the truth about the states however, with the Republicans gaining in state houses and the census favoring red states, that does provide an advantage for Republicans in 2012.
Bzzzt. Local candidates may be able to appeal to their own local constituents on a state-by-state basis, but a candidate for national office has to appeal to a vastly wider range of individuals who all have much different needs and demands than just a local community would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,786,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I think it will depend a lot on how well state economies recover over the next 18 months.
That is most certainly true. But the Republicans have the luxury of having it both ways. If the economy turns around, they can claim credit. If it doesn't they can say they were over ruled by the majority in Senate and the Dem in WH. Toss them both out, and we'll fix everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
While the Republicans have gained seats, they have also gained responsibility. And it's a tricky situation to be in for them. If they follow through with their promises to cut the budget (state level, I'm talking about), there will always be people upset that their slice of the pie got cut. And if they don't follow through and no budget cutting gets done, there will be a lot of people upset at their hollow promises.
Chris Chrisite, is a cost cutter in a very blue state and has good poll numbers.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,455,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

Chris Chrisite, is a cost cutter in a very blue state and has good poll numbers.
And has repeatedly said he has no intention of running.

Let me guess. . . you didn't bother to take the time to read the linked article.
"And then there's Christie. He has insisted that he won't run in '12, and there's good reason to believe him. He spent nearly a decade of his life pursuing the job he has now, and it's a job he truly enjoys. If he were to leave New Jersey to wage a presidential campaign, he would almost certainly kiss away his chances of winning a second gubernatorial term in 2013. Even flirting too much with a '12 run is risky for him, given how slim his margin for error is in New Jersey."

Old 02-15-2011, 01:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,786,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
And has repeatedly said he has no intention of running.

Let me guess. . . you didn't bother to take the time to read the linked article.
"And then there's Christie. He has insisted that he won't run in '12, and there's good reason to believe him. He spent nearly a decade of his life pursuing the job he has now, and it's a job he truly enjoys. If he were to leave New Jersey to wage a presidential campaign, he would almost certainly kiss away his chances of winning a second gubernatorial term in 2013. Even flirting too much with a '12 run is risky for him, given how slim his margin for error is in New Jersey."

If you bothered to read my post it had zero to do with him running.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,628,541 times
Skippy isn't going to be able to run on "I'm not Bush". He'll need to actually come up with a creative slogan this time.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,515,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And this has what to do with the President, exactly?

Gas prices are driven by supply (which is controlled by OPEC), instability in countries that supply oil (haven't seen any of that lately, have we??), and refinerty disruptions due to anything from a hurricane to a shutdown for upgrades/maintenance. Maybe I'm just not smart enough- but please show me how the President affects any of those items.....

Doesn't matter. The president gets the blame.

It's only fair as the president (any president) takes credit for all godd things whether he anything or not to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies