Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,964 times

Advertisements

American Diplomat remains jailed in Pakistan; Islamists threaten violence if released

Quote:
"If (Pakistani) rulers hand him over to America then we will target these rulers. If Pakistani courts cannot punish Davis then they should hand him over to us," said Azam Tariq, spokesman for the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (Taliban movement of Pakistan).
I guess the concept of diplomatic immuinty is lost on these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961), while providing immunity to diplomats, allows the detention, judicial review and possible prosecution of diplomatic individuals if they have committed a "grave offense" as the immunity is not granted in the case of "grave offenses".

Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Americans, diplomats or otherwise, cannot reasonably expect the basic right of self defense or of justice when in foreign countries. While this diplomat may have saved his life while defending it he may still lose it to Islamic justice in a country where Sharia is part of the legal system.

Pakistan Legal System

Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM

On January 27th 2011, Raymond Davis, who the US State Department states is a member of the American diplomatic staff, shot and killed 2 Pakistani motorcyclists at a traffic stop in Lahore, Pakistan claiming they were armed and about to rob him, although both were shot in the back through the windshield of Davis's car. It was reported that Davis then exited his vehicle and took pictures of both individuals with his cell phone. Davis was reported to be driving a private rental car, carrying an unlicensed weapon, telescope and also be in possession of a camera with pictures of official Pakistani government sites. A third Pakistani was killed when a U.S. consular car alleged to have been dispatched to help Davis crushed to death another motorcyclist while speeding along the wrong side of the road

Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
There seems to be a genuine question of fact as to whether or not he was even registered as a diplomat of any sort before the incident.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,377,605 times
Make lunatics your friend - promise them more virgins.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,879 times
Last Thursday, Davis appeared in court without a translator and without prior notification to the U.S., the Islamabad embassy said in a statement. U.S. officials say those events convinced them Davis could not receive a fair trial in Pakistan.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
On January 27th 2011, Raymond Davis, who the US State Department states is a member of the American diplomatic staff, shot and killed 2 Pakistani motorcyclists at a traffic stop in Lahore, Pakistan claiming they were armed and about to rob him, although both were shot in the back through the windshield of Davis's car. It was reported that Davis then exited his vehicle and took pictures of both individuals with his cell phone. Davis was reported to be driving a private rental car, carrying an unlicensed weapon, telescope and also be in possession of a camera with pictures of official Pakistani government sites. A third Pakistani was killed when a U.S. consular car alleged to have been dispatched to help Davis crushed to death another motorcyclist while speeding along the wrong side of the road
The consular employee may have well been defending himself but I've got to wonder why a consular employee was armed, especially outside the confines of the embassy.

I'm thinking (and I could well be wrong) that DSS was responsible for his security.

Much as I'd like to wholeheartedly defend Mr. Davis there are some serious oddities in this case.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The consular employee may have well been defending himself but I've got to wonder why a consular employee was armed, especially outside the confines of the embassy.

I'm thinking (and I could well be wrong) that DSS was responsible for his security.

Much as I'd like to wholeheartedly defend Mr. Davis there are some serious oddities in this case.
Very odd indeed and I'm sure this is going to end up a sticky situation for the Obama administration as tensions between the US and Pakistan government are already strained over the growing number of civilian casualties from drone attacks.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:03 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Very odd indeed and I'm sure this is going to end up a sticky situation for the Obama administration as tensions between the US and Pakistan government are already strained over the growing number of civilian casualties from drone attacks.
It smacks of someone acting outside the confines of their position. If I had to bet on this I'd bet it will not end well for the consular employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies