Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,845,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Yesterday I was at Barnes & Noble book store and I was sitting across from 2 "trashy" looking white guys. They looked to be in their early 20's.

They were using slang and simply talking about NOTHING worth talking about nor listening to.

Here's what discussed me. These 2 white guys were calling each other.......NI-GGA!

I was like......

I dislike the use of any form of the word. I just don't like the word nor it's variations. The only reason why these two guys were using the word is probably because they hang around poor, ignorant blacks that allow them to use it.

I do understand that whites started the use of the word ni-gger and whites still use the word but not as nearly as much as you hear SOME blacks use the word ni-gga. Whites can't even compete when it comes to whom uses the word the most. Blacks have won that race by a long shot.

I'm talking about the use of the word in public, open conversation. I hear blacks use it like it's no big deal.

I blame blacks for this. Blacks have a serious problem with self esteem, no question about it. Now you have white guys copying the same ignorance first started by whites, continued by blacks and now it appears, to be continued by both blacks and whites.

When will it stop? Blacks whom use any variation of the word should be ashamed. This does not mean whites get a free pass. They don't and they know it. I'd go as far as saying most whites KNOW BETTER than to use the word in public.

Why would a group of people that have experienced what blacks have experienced in this country continue to support the kind of behavior that caused nothing but pain and suffering in the past?

When was the last time that you saw a Jewish kid wearing a swastika? You haven't and you never will.

Sure whites did start the use of the word ni-gger but I give them credit, at least many of them have enough sense to know it's no longer acceptable to use the word.

PS-In case you want to know, yes, I am black.
Why did those dolts use this term?

Could it be:

All those years in school being taught we are the same.

All the videos on MTV with young, cool, hip black rappers using the term in an empowering way.

All the young mindless kids (not every kid -- just the mindless ones) so impressed by the rap culture embracing the tabboo word.

What do we as a society expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:36 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,344,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
The N word is not the probem. The problem is people getting worked up over a word ... demanding apologies, resignations, boycotts, assaulting or threatening to assault anyone who dares to use a word that self appointed authorities have declared off limits for some people but not for others. If the N word were to magically disappear the same people would find another forbidden word to be angry about. Words can be offensive, but so what? Being offended is not an excuse for out of control anger or unreasonable demands. The reactions to the N word say more about the offended parties than one word could ever say.
Gotta admit though, if i'm called that in a pejorative manner, i'm not laying down...that's for sure. There will be major drama, and it's gonna be a bad day for somebody.

That said, i'm more interested in what people mean moreso than what they say. I think that banning a word is ridiculous. That word is so ubiquitous at this point that i can't see why folks make a big deal about it...especially a black person. Folks shouldn't be so damn sensitive. Better to just confront it.

But the one thing i reject from the OP is the idea that if whites use it with each other, it's the fault of black people. WRONG!!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,845,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I was out and about shopping and two young Asian guys were referring to either other as the N-word. I gave them "the stare". They looked embarrassed....however, I doubt that will change their behavior.

You never know -- maybe they will think twice next time before using it.

IMHO until pop culture gives up the word youth of all races will continue to use it.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,464,790 times
Ron, do you think they could have been trying to get a reaction from you???

Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,261,586 times
"Gotta admit though, if i'm called that in a pejorative manner, i'm not laying down...that's for sure. There will be major drama, and it's gonna be a bad day for somebody."

Then you are going for the bait and dancing like a puppet on a string desertdetroiter. That can lead to more than a "bad day" for all parties involved. "Major drama" = impulsiveness, lack of self control: loud shouting, cursing, threats etc. Some might say that is the stereotype the N word suggest.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
"Gotta admit though, if i'm called that in a pejorative manner, i'm not laying down...that's for sure. There will be major drama, and it's gonna be a bad day for somebody."

Then you are going for the bait and dancing like a puppet on a string desertdetroiter. That can lead to more than a "bad day" for all parties involved. "Major drama" = impulsiveness, lack of self control: loud shouting, cursing, threats etc. Some might say that is the stereotype the N word suggest.
Then it is what it is. But "what it is" is exactly what i said it will be....a very bad day for the user.

If that makes me a puppet, then so be it. There is no impulsiveness, lack of control, shouting, cursing or threatening about it. It will be done in a very controlled manner, and will be very well thought out...trust me. But it will be done....as sure as the sky is blue.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,830,585 times
I don't get this fracas.

Outside the US, the word "negro" is freely used, all over the planet. Nobody raises alarm, even when the specific ethnic person is around.

The word simply means "black" in Spanish or something. But I guess I'll be gutted if I were to say it over here

Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,020,165 times
Well, a lot of these whites listen to 'hard core gangsta' rap and you know what the most frequent word used there. Then you walk out on the street and you hear the same. It becomes ingrained in the phsyche by sheer repetition.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I don't get this fracas.

Outside the US, the word "negro" is freely used, all over the planet. Nobody raises alarm, even when the specific ethnic person is around.

The word simply means "black" in Spanish or something. But I guess I'll be gutted if I were to say it over here
I think "gutted" is an overstatement.

In any case, if you called me a "negro," knowing full well that the term isn't really an acceptable word in modern day America, i'm going to assume that you're either being a smart-ass or you're trying to be slick by attempting to get one over on me. Or maybe you're just trying to willfully insult me.

The result of that wouldn't be a gutting....but i'd be compelled to respond, that's for sure.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,830,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I think "gutted" is an overstatement.

In any case, if you called me a "negro," knowing full well that the term isn't really an acceptable word in modern day America, i'm going to assume that you're either being a smart-ass or you're trying to be slick by attempting to get one over on me. Or maybe you're just trying to willfully insult me.

The result of that wouldn't be a gutting....but i'd be compelled to respond, that's for sure.
For the record, nobody in the rest of the world would willfully call any person with what they are.

That would be like saying, "Hey white guy or eskimo or whatever"

However, these are terms generally used in the third person to refer to people in an indirect manner. And if people in America can't refer to "negro" people (as what they have been referred to historically, like whites, hispanics, blah blah blah), then that shows the levels of inferiority complex running high in the black community.

How many white guys actually give a rip if you directly refer to them as white or use words like blanc as the French do, which can be a cultural equivalent of what the Spanish did with negro?!?!?!

I'm so tired of people's racial insecurities. If someone calls me a brownie, I'll probably not mind, becoz that is biologically what I am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies