Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:45 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
protest what???

We don't run around over here like nutters!!

We vote!!! We're not burning stuff down!!
Things just haven't got bad enough. If it does, you'll see people who usually don't have common interests rally together. Look at health care, reform was on the way, some don't agree with what was going to be reformed which is understandable, but which led back to nothing being done, it just remains unfixed.

Look at border intrusions now being done by armed cartels. Most Americans want something done, neither party is willing to take real steps. A poll for legalizing marijuana would probably be in favor of doing so, neither party will consider it.

If fuel prices reach $5, $6 or on a gallon (and higher in europe), at some point it will cause protest. Fuel prices are linked to and have direct effect on every element of society from employment, to the economy, all the way to food. As mass street protests by angry people would make government, fuel companies and OPEC, miraculously find a way to drop fuel prices because they would have a "oh s*** they are really pissed and we are in danger" moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
Actually your request of abolishing the patriot act and restoration of civil liberties, Isn't that what Ron Paul has been talking of throughout his elections and his voting records show this well.

He helped push the tea party, almost like a father of it. But like I said though the Sarah Palin of the tea party made them more neo cons. There are 2 camps in there. one the libertarian side and one the neocon side.

What you mentioned is supporting the libertarian side of the tea party, while the neo con side wants the wars to continue and are basically neo-con republicans trying to highjack the original.

Well that's just imo.

We need a resource based currency not fiat. Resource based can only grow upon the limited resources acquired as there is no wealth without resources.

Fiat is only a representation and if you print more it devalues, simply put.

We do not need the FED we do not need their Department of education or their agriculture sub for food ethanol and corn. We do not need their social security which wont be worth a dime in the future. Just let me get out of it now damn it.

10% of my paycheck every year for social security which we all know we wont get at all and the politicians are robbing the fund every single day.

Medicare for people that keep scamming the system.

war spending defending anyone and everyone? Or is it defending corporations to rape other countries resources.

Everything is a ponzi scheme now. Just cut everything let this ponzi scheme system die. 50% cut in military. 50 % cut in social and 50% cut tax on social security every year. GIVE BACK the people that invested into social security.

50% cut in medicare If you talk with any hospital they lose money on this and the administration headache so they charge others with insurance a lot more to make up for the losses.

So medicare is costing society a lot more than just medicare tax. Next time medicare abusers use it they better think about this as they are forcing others to pay a lot more and the main reason why the system is falling apart.

Abolish all departments unneeded. ALL public workers cannot have higher average pay of the private sector they can just work private if that want lame fools.

Politicians have no tax immunity no pensions no anything except average salary. They are public servants not masters.

Simply put ponzi schemes do not work.
Long before I ever heard of Ron Paul, I knew a number of libertarians. They tended to be the "purists" and we had many a discussion at the weekly meeting of LASFS or a convention over things like fire departments funded by buying into them and other such ideas. So my house catches fire and the fire dept lets it burn but your house is protected because you paid. I don't buy that you have to be a "purist" and can believe that society does owe certain things to the members of the society. Fire departments put out fires in the city whoever owns the property. Its good for everyone. You can't let one burn and just hope it doesn't catch the other five near by.

I agree that the fed has gotten too overwhelming. But guarenteeing that education is available for kids is not bad. Making sure people can get health care is not bad. Providing a safety net for those being abused with things like CPS and elder abuse units is not bad. It shows that we as a society care about out citizens.

Social security and other programs have often been mismanaged, but they are not evil. Society owes something to its citizens. Nobody benefits from people being hungry or homeless or destitute if life didn't work out the way they'd hoped. Our biggest problem now is that the upper income levels are gettting richer and sucking the life out of the middle class. Yes, there will always be poor, but comes a point the poor are too many and the tipping point comes and all stabiltity is gone.

But the most basic rights we have are to be able to speak freely and think for ourselves without being punished for it. These things have nothing to do with economics and war policy. They have to do with human rights, which trumps all else. We must not allow theocrats of ANY religion (and I believe the biggest danger is the christian right) to impose their religiously inspired ideas on everyone else. We need to have the protection of laws which do NOT allow the government to search or detain us in the assumption we are criminals unless they have some very clear proof there is a reason, and even then with limits. These are ways of growing control and a police state and must be watched carefully.

If we lose these then, simply put, it doesn't matter what you feel about social security or government agencies, its over. You have lost the chance to change what you want to change and *given* power to the autocrats who will rule no matter what facade is erected to make it seem different.

That is the reason we need to stop squbbling over side issures because in time if we don't we won't have the chance to.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:26 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
I think protesting when you have no clue what the cause of the problems are about is pointless. I think many social conservatives have been very stuck/ inarticulate for years. I think if Americans had a clear vision of the problems they'd get on it like white on rice. Our information streams are compromised when ethical standards are edged out or shouted over.

WSJ= the nose in the wind for finance? Did they see it coming? Where's the in depth analysis even at this late date? When they've orientated themselves to Reaganomics bias it's not information anymore. It's steering. 5 million special interests steering a ship doesn't work out very well, does it?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
When we have all become government employees and there are threats of cuts to our benefits.

Wisconsin Senate to vote on anti-union bill - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110217/ap_on_re_us/us_wisconsin_budget_unions - broken link)
I fail to see how power plays using elected office is anything remotely resembling the standards of statesmanship originally envisioned for this country. Having to go about things dishonestly 24/7... is this working for y'all?

Wisconsin votes R, this is what they get when they do, entrenched aversion sets up the next round of red state blue state.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ruger, you are like probably 90% of the world population almost 100% of people around the world are satisfied with their lives as long as they can feed themselves and their families. If you don't drink or eat, you die. Most people are not political and don't care for political issues, so that's why these protests being about freedom, is just a load of BS, because these people are going through economic stagnation, incomes are shrinking, and half of their budgets already go to the cost of food.
I wonder how many laid off cops will bother answering their phones when the bottom decides to cannibalize the top. Savvy capitalists can sell them maps to all the right gated communities. This ought to be interesting.

Every thankless chore; ladies and gentlemen, you have no idea all you've taken for granted for many decades now. People will delude themselves into thinking I'm talking to liberals alone when I'm talking to every single one of you chasing down a paradigm.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times
Protesting was in effect during the Bush reign and I was amongst them. But it seems that all that time, most were just protesting for Bush to get out, and many were supporting Obama's coming at the time. So now, we see a decrease in these events because Bush is no longer there, the primary target has been lost, and activists have acquiesced to the seemingly innocuous presence of Obama.

There are protests in this country all the time, but not enough people participate in them for a long enough period to have their demands met and show that they actually mean business. From my perspective, if people are going to demand something, they should demand it in large numbers, and keep the activity up constantly until those demands are met.

Also, sometimes, the best policy is not democracy, since what the people want is not always what's best. But at least it's best in the form that the people are heard and they're making the decisions, whether for better or worse.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times
Speaking of which, the ANSWER Coalition is organizing their usual event on March 19th (anniversary of the invasion of Iraq) at the usual spot in Washington, if anyone is interested. It's to display a reminder that the anti-war movement still exists and still opposes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and military actions in Pakistan as well. I will be there as well.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Does anybody remember the Million Man March? What the was the point of that march and do you think it did Black America any good?
I think the good that came of it was a show of self discipline representing blacks in America. Not much coming from black voices was very intelligible/ rational for many years. Raw anger was just noise to most. I think they proved something to themselves as well. Good for them.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Does taking to the streets really accomplish anything positive? I disagree that we are apathetic as a nation. I think we use different means to affect a change.
Uh, yes it does. Ever heard of the sixties? People took to the streets and MANY things changed (the war, women's rights, black rights, etc., etc.)

People are too lazy and spoiled now to bother.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Seems a lot of folks think taking to the streets en-mass is a waste of time and that it doesn't really accomplish anything. I suppose in a modern context, this is true considering how ineffective the anti-war protests of 2003-2005 were.
A protest can never guarantee you'll get what you want immediately and if you consider circumstances fully you know that the goal was not something that could be met in snap to it precision.

Don't defeat yourself. Any delusion our government or world governments had that the will of the people was being represented by these wars was answered quite well. I think the world was rather relieved you chimed up. I think you helped foreign policy perceptions along both in USA and abroad. I'm glad to hear military voices speaking up too. They can't ever be misled by political ideology that the American people think lesser of them just because we're upset about the fine print of their marching orders. I'd consider those protests a success confronting mission statements even if it's not resolved to your satisfaction just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies