Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:37 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
why are some people so utterly stupid, dusgusting , and bogotted???...so the story says that we have to improve the quality of education in elementary and middle schools where students of color attend. This should be done in order to help equalize the quality of education and prepare them for a shot at getting into an elite school.

now we have the internert archie bunkers on here once again talking out their azzes about a "hand out"!!!...and they say they aren't racist and have lots of black friends all in the same breath

truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Calm down there, Skippy. No one's advocating racism or bigotry. I think is is YOU that is advocating that, seemingly because you somehow see race problems in practically everything. There, now that I made false assumptions based on your post, you can re-read and realize I was responding to another POSTER, not the article.
Point out where I'm suggesting that, "skippy"

Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
No, that's not what the story says. (The story is bias) It points out the Black and Hispanic students are on the lower end of the admissions do to "Results from the specialized high school entrance exams" and is then swung to look as if these students are being denied admission because of their race.
True BIGOTS are those who fail to see the truth and fall back on a crutch of being the victim. These kids are not being admitted to this school because they didn't make the grade. Forcing them into the school because of their race is-----wait for it---- RACISM!
Sorry but you are wrong...the story is stating that after all the students have taken this test, blacks and hispanics overwhelmingly do not score high enough for admittance. The story then suggests that the answer to this problem for the minority students is the following: ... We also must ensure students taking the exam are receiving a high-quality education in elementary and middle school so more of them can access our specialized high schools."

This is not a "hand out" this is an attempt to bring elementary and middle school programs up to par with their more successful peers.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,701 times
Quote:
No, that's not what the story says. (The story is bias) It points out the Black and Hispanic students are on the lower end of the admissions do to "Results from the specialized high school entrance exams" and is then swung to look as if these students are being denied admission because of their race.
True BIGOTS are those who fail to see the truth and fall back on a crutch of being the victim. These kids are not being admitted to this school because they didn't make the grade. Forcing them into the school because of their race is-----wait for it---- RACISM!
Good morning,

How is the story swung to look that way? I'm definitely against false or incorrect claims of racism, but I don't see where that's happening in this story. The only possible, yet weak evidence that supports your claim is that the use of Black/hispanic admission vs white/asian admission. Last I checked, asians are "minorities" too.

I agree with your general point of them not being admitted due to not making the grade, and the story seems to agree with you.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So?

Does the prospect of helping Black and Hispanic children achieve, scare you?
Good morning,

The majority of schools that are failing are located in areas with high poverty. The racial makeup of the students is a correlation. Solutions to these problems should be poverty-based, not race based, especially when determining extra funding. Unfortunately these statistics and news stories are typically presented by using race-based statistics.

Presenting these stories from a racial aspect only make Black and hispanic students appear as if their race is a factor and gives poor white failing students a pass since they get credit from being lumped in with the larger number of passing white students.

I'd love to see a larger effort for after-school tutoring for students, parental job training & education programs, and parental life skill assistance programs target areas with poor, struggling students of all races. I'd love to see these programs target the fathers and actively encourage their involvement in their child's education, not just single mothers. Also, I'd like to see safe havens in high crime areas for kids during the gap time between the end of school and the end of the typical work day.

If we don't help the failing students' parents improve their own lives, there won't be enough who are active in their child's education.

Last edited by Freedom123; 02-20-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good morning,

The majority of schools that are failing are located in areas with high poverty. The racial makeup of the students is a correlation. Solutions to these problems should be poverty-based, not race based, especially when determining extra funding. Unfortunately these statistics and news stories are typically presented by using race-based statistics.

Presenting these stories from a racial aspect only make Black and hispanic students appear as if their race is a factor and gives poor white failing students a pass since they get credit from being lumped in with the larger number of passing white students.

I'd love to see a larger effort for after-school tutoring for students, parental job training & education programs, and parental life skill assistance programs target areas with poor, struggling students of all races. I'd love to see these programs target the fathers and actively encourage their involvement in their child's education, not just single mothers. Also, I'd like to see safe havens in high crime areas for kids during the gap time between the end of school and the end of the typical work day.

If we don't help the failing students' parents improve their own lives, there won't be enough who are active in their child's education.
How do you force parents to care about their kid's education? Parents need to have sense of accountability, and responsibility. The parents have to want to change, and fix their own problems or it is a waste of time and money.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:06 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,761 times
Quote:
Sorry but you are wrong...the story is stating that after all the students have taken this test, blacks and hispanics overwhelmingly do not score high enough for admittance. The story then suggests that the answer to this problem for the minority students is the following: ... We also must ensure students taking the exam are receiving a high-quality education in elementary and middle school so more of them can access our specialized high schools."

This is not a "hand out" this is an attempt to bring elementary and middle school programs up to par with their more successful peers.
And to you this is not a bias swing? If its not about race then why bring it up?
Quote:
the story is stating that after all the students have taken this test, blacks and hispanics overwhelmingly do not score high enough for admittance.
After the story gets under way, after the point about race has been "pointed out" does the story go into equal education. It has already lead the readers into a racial view that Blacks and Hispanics do not score high enough.
(What boggles my mind is the continued segregation of races through political means to create sympathy as a way to manipulate public support.) The story is about Black and Hispanic kids not getting into a particular school, it’s in the title of the story from "NY 1" how can anyone say it’s not a racial swing news report. If the story were about helping kids get a better education the stats on race would not be needed, it would be "Fewer students admitted into the City's Elite Public high school". But that’s not the story; the story is about… you know.
The bottom line is without the “race” factor in the story there is no story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good morning,

How is the story swung to look that way? I'm definitely against false or incorrect claims of racism, but I don't see where that's happening in this story. The only possible, yet weak evidence that supports your claim is that the use of Black/hispanic admission vs white/asian admission. Last I checked, asians are "minorities" too. Like I said above, if its not about race then why is it in the story?

I agree with your general point of them not being admitted due to not making the grade, and the story seems to agree with you.
In Red
and good afternoon to you

Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I think all this should be blind to race or nationality. This is the kind of thing thats keeping us in turmoil.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
And to you this is not a bias swing? If its not about race then why bring it up?

After the story gets under way, after the point about race has been "pointed out" does the story go into equal education. It has already lead the readers into a racial view that Blacks and Hispanics do not score high enough.
(What boggles my mind is the continued segregation of races through political means to create sympathy as a way to manipulate public support.) The story is about Black and Hispanic kids not getting into a particular school, it’s in the title of the story from "NY 1" how can anyone say it’s not a racial swing news report. If the story were about helping kids get a better education the stats on race would not be needed, it would be "Fewer students admitted into the City's Elite Public high school". But that’s not the story; the story is about… you know.
The bottom line is without the “race” factor in the story there is no story.

In Red
and good afternoon to you
Please, now you are grasping at straws!!!!because the particular group that is failing is included with the report, now it's biased or racial??!!

It's amazing the amount of people that want to fail at all costs, to admit we have two sepertae and un-equal educational systems in this country.

Do I think the answer is to throw money at the problem??..no I do not; nor do I believe defunding and abandoning urban education is the answer.

In my education we were taught that a clear and precise story always included the, "who, what, when, where, and why" questions and answers. This article simply does that, to omit the group most affected would have been an omission of an essential fact on the writer's part.

Again the story is only stating that improvement is needed in the elementary and middle school systems in order to educate children at the same level as their peers.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:43 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,761 times
Quote:
Please, now you are grasping at straws!!!!because the particular group that is failing is included with the report, now it's biased or racial??!!

It's amazing the amount of people that want to fail at all costs, to admit we have two sepertae and un-equal educational systems in this country.

Do I think the answer is to throw money at the problem??..no I do not; nor do I believe defunding and abandoning urban education is the answer.

In my education we were taught that a clear and precise story always included the, "who, what, when, where, and why" questions and answers. This article simply does that, to omit the group most affected would have been an omission of an essential fact on the writer's part.

Again the story is only stating that improvement is needed in the elementary and middle school systems in order to educate children at the same level as their peers.
Okay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies