Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
And interesting defense of your position......only by watching beck daily can anyone have any real knowledge about what he says and therefore MAY possibly BE able to criticize him.
So you watch Beck daily so as to be informed about what he is saying each day? Nope, I don't believe that at all.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Your Reuter's link was about the time that all those liberal people were organized to get people to stop advertising with Beck. That was a very organized effort and often things like that are at least somewhat successful.

Can you tell me how many people are advertising there that weren't back then? Go ahead and watch him to see what I mean.

I can tell you that the OP has never watched Beck. About 3 years ago he promised me that he would do so and all I ever got out of that promise was booted off this forum for calling him out about it.
No, but again I made no claims one way or the other. I was making the point that at one point several companies had pulled their advertising from Beck's show as someone else had stated that it had never happened.

I don't really care who is or isn't advertising on his show.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
So you watch Beck daily so as to be informed about what he is saying each day? Nope, I don't believe that at all.
That's not what I said either.

I'm asking a question. Is it your belief that only people who watch beck every day, as you say you do, have any real accurate knowledge of what beck says and are allowed to criticize him?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
That's not what I said either.

I'm asking a question. Is it your belief that only people who watch beck every day, as you say you do, have any real accurate knowledge of what beck says and are allowed to criticize him?
That just sounds painful. I can't watch any TV program everyday, even the ones I really like.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
When you only have a handful of viewers like MSNBC and CNN, if one person gets up and goes to the bathroom during your show, you've lost half your audience.

I just looked at the last day of ratings (Thursday) on Mediabistro. Beck had a four times bigger 25 - 54 audience than Chris Matthews, and a more than three times as big total audience than Matthews. And still, if you add up CNN, MSNBC and Headline News in total, their total audiences still don't beat Beck.

Total Audience on Thursday: Beck (1,992,000), Matthews (609,000), Blitzer (507,000), Showbiz (152,000).

Beck vs all of the rest of them added together: 1,992,000 vs 1,268,000

Plus, Beck's audience at 5PM, when a good chunk of people are at work, still beats Rachel Maddow (1,173,000) in primetime, O'Donnell in primetime (1,017,000), Spitzer in primetime (528,000), as well as Morgan, Cooper and Behar.

And Greta is way ahead of her competition, too.

The Scoreboard: Thursday, February 17 - TVNewser

After an election, the audiences for cable news shows seem to go down. As soon as the 2012 candidates start to declare, there will probably be an uptick in ratings for everyone on all cable networks because everyone loves competition, even in politics.

The only time I drift on Beck is when he gets philosophical on values or religion. He can't be beat for research on history or issues and a lot of things happening now, he was pooh-poohed for and called a crazy person for a year to a few months ago.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
When you only have a handful of viewers like MSNBC and CNN, if one person gets up and goes to the bathroom during your show, you've lost half your audience.

Good one.

Oh, they are just so hoping for Beck/Fox to tank in the ratings, in fact, they've been wishing that for YEARS it seems like.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Good one.

Oh, they are just so hoping for Beck/Fox to tank in the ratings, in fact, they've been wishing that for YEARS it seems like.
Not necessarily. The reality is, even if you do look at those ratings... it's not like that many people are really watching Beck and Fox News either. In general I think TV news channels and their programs are losing steam. In the grand scheme of the entire US population... TV news channels just don't get a lot of viewers.

And this whole thread isn't about Beck and Fox tanking, it's about Beck's ratings lowering... which they have.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-17-2011/83189

Once again, they crush the competition. How many years running does that make it? 8? 10?
I would like to see a demographic breakdown of just who it is that watches Fox. I've been travelling around the USA for the last 4 years and this is my observation from being in hundreds of places where there is a TV on for the customers. The places where Fox is on are those places that are full of obviously lower class, uneducated, white, blue collar or unemployed people. There is also a large number of white trash sitting around all day nursing their one coffee. I think if the research was done from an advertisers point of view they would find that a very large number of the Fox watchers are really very poor prospects for whatever they are selling for the simple reason that they are the poorest members of the society. Just one NBC watcher could potentially be worth 10 Fox watchers from that point of view.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:10 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,422 times
I love it when Fox news crushes MSNBC.

Just like when the Whopper beat the Big Mac in a taste test.

Sure I don't own any stock, but I love cheering for large multinational corporations and their highly paid spokespeople.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Beck vs all of the rest of them added together: 1,992,000 vs 1,268,000
It would be interesting to see what the demographics are for each group. I highly doubt that more than 15% of Beck's viewers are apart of the attentive public. Also it is no secret that Americans are hyper-partisan to the point of no compromise; meaning that instead of having their opinions altered, they seek alternative sources to find information which falls in line with their beliefs (see cognitive consistency theories). Beck having more viewers might be caused by a large segment of the TV audience trying to find information which falls in line with their views opposed to trying to find the *truth*. As they say, the truth hurts...

Last edited by africanboy; 02-21-2011 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies