Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
It's sad for black conservatives
Not really. If black conservatives stopped caring about what those blacks who persecuted their views thought of them, we would not have scenarios like the one mentioned. There are blacks in all walks of life who have defied the stereotype, yet you don't hear them whining about being amongst the few black indie artists, hockey players, etc. Lastly, you must distinguish the difference between being a conservative vs. being a Republican and being a liberal vs. being a Democrat. I have hard time believing that 90% of blacks are liberals... anti-Republican perhaps, but not liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
I'm decidedly to the left, but I'm also a serious student of AA political history, and here's how I see the issue:

Black politics still rapidly devolves into identity politics. Those who vote "correctly" are seen as supporting the general interests (here we can make hivemind jokes) of the "black community", whereas those who do not vote correctly are seen as race traitors. We all know this, and we can think of many examples. Ultimately, this is a relic of the CRM and black political history in general, where solidarity and identity politics were key. In the contemporary moment, it is a seriously detrimental tendency, since it discourages individuals from thinking independently and encourages the most base kind of groupthink.

Though there are plenty of blacks who have made their name kowtowing to white opinion (many whites need a black voice to confirm their opinions about black issues, since then it must be correct, right?), anyone who seriously uses the term "Uncle Tom" is probably an idiot. You should simply attempt to articulate your position as clearly as possible, and accept that there are bound to be a lot of idiots out there who aren't worth talking to. This message board is an excellent lesson in this regard.

There is plenty to be said regarding why so few blacks vote conservative, and why so many are hostile to the thought of doing so, but that's not really what the OP is concerned with, so I'll abstain from discussing it. Some particularly ignorant individuals in this thread have already commented on this, and their comments say it all.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Meh. I would say the white progressive elitists really believe blacks are gullible. Actually making them believe that keeping them enslaved to social programs is beneficial to their long-term viability as a minority. But, so long as blacks get to serve whitey in their favorite fair trade organic coffee shops and Ethiopian restaurants near the university, the progressives feel it's a win-win situation. Keep them dumb and happy, and they'll continue to shine their shoes for them.
Blacks are not gullible they know what works. The fact of the matter is that for all people poverty has been reduced more under Democratic presidential administrations than Republican ones over the last 50 years.

The objective of the American Conservative movement is to maintain and expand the poltical, economic and social power of White Christian Americans and to maintain and expand the influence of corporate power. Everything that the Conservative Movement does works toward these goals.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Democrats have run inner cities for how long. How have they improved?

You also didnt address why should this person to called names and such simply because he doesnt vote democrat. ( please dont act like that doesnt happen)
And Republicans have absolutely no interest in the inner cities. When White flight and de-industrialization devasted inner cities during the 1980's Ronald Reagan stood by and did absolultely nothing.

The core tenet of Reganomics and the modern Conservative Movement is best described by Eddie Murphy:

"If you're not rich f***********k you!"

Old 02-21-2011, 02:43 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

True or not, using the "bash the other side" tactic doesn't work with Black Democrats I know.
Do you really think the post you're quoting is true? If so, I feel like a fool for repping one of your earlier posts.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
Just a warning: that might backfire. I am a Black Democrat, from a majority-black area that votes 98% Democratic in every election. I asked many of my neighbors and family why they are Democrats, and they know why (and so do I): Democrats want safety nets and support for the poor, revitalizing inner cities, good paying jobs for urban workers, and the return of good education to urban schools, among other things. I'd say that them are pretty strong arguments.
Sounds like everyone you know wants OTHER people to take care of them.

The poor should go to work and SUPPORT themselves. Any job, anywhere, anytime.
People who are not permanently disabled need to take care of themselves.
I can see 6 month safety nets (with drug checks), that is it.
Don't worry about revitalizing inner cities, instead move to where the work is.
Good paying jobs are there now for blacks, whites and others if you have some incredible talent or education; if not, there is no shame in any job.
If you can't make it in the private sector you have problems.

Do you realize how pathetic your post was regarding why Democrats are Democrats?
The post sounds like what a dependent child would want, not an adult IMO.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I simply can't deal with people who live in a constant victim world where everything is a struggle, everything is harder for them and no matter what you know you'll never understand how hard life is for them. I refuse to deal with people like that in my personal life and I surely won't argue with one here on CD. Mental illness is a serious topic, I'm sure there are plenty black and white doctors out there that can help these people.
That's very typical. Most White Americans don't understand Black American culture and history and really don't care to know. Some of it is based on racism but more of it is based on cultural arrogance and just a lack of sensitivity. As long as this is the case a racial divide will exist in this country. It seems that younger people under the age of 35 have less of this cultural arrogance and racial insensitivity than older generation if for no other reason than the population of younger people is more diverse and there seems to be more socializing across racial lines.

In many cases outside the workplace many White Americans don't even have to have any social interactions with Black Americans unless they chose to.

That’s why on some many political and social issues Black Americans and White Americans look at things from such different perspectives.
Black Americans have to navigate between their own culture and White American culture on a regular basis.

Most Black Americans have come to this realization; most White Americans simply don't give a damn about them. Your posts’ just confirms this.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:54 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I consider myself to be conservative. I am not apart of any party but I would call myself libertarian if I absolutely had to choose a party.

Nevertheless, if you reveal to other blacks that you're conservative, all hell breaks loose.

I don't go around talking politics, but I don't want to get bashed when I mention I am a conservative to other blacks.

Any advice on how to handle this?
I think the problem is your association. Instead of telling other black folks " I am a conservative", you should tell them the positions you believe in. Most black folks are conservative on many issues......except for issues of race.

I tend to think that Austrian economic theory applies the best to these times.....but just because I believe that I don't label myself a libertarian or conservative.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Still trying to find something on any of my posts where i describe myself as a victim. On the contrary, seems that i've made it quite clear that i do pretty well for myself....all things considered.

That's probably what's actually bothering you.
For many White Americans the very fact you expressed you have to deal with things in life they will NEVER have to deal with in order to live and work in this society much less have any aspirations to be a successful person fits their f*****k up version of "victimization".

They don't know, they don't understand and in most cases they don't want to understand.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I actually admired Mike Steele, until be punked out to Rush Limbaugh. That was painful to watch. To see a black man cower like that when he's supposed to be the face of the Republican party just tore my damn heart out.

I've had no use for him since then.
That's another reason more Black Americans aren't Conservatives. Most White Conservatives are perfectly O.K. with having some Black Conservatives. They serve the "Look at these guys see where not racists" agenda of the movement. But any effort for a Black American to assert any leadership in the Conservative Movement is met with resistance.

Also Conservatives have a history of using Black politicians to advance a particular agenda and basically dumping them once that objective has been fulfilled. I give up J.C. Watts, Colin Powell, and Micheal Steele as exhibit A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies