Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
What are your thoughts of Americans being disliked around most parts of the world ( Europe, Middle East, Asia, Latin countries, etc. )? Some presidents have made decisions that don’t please everybody around the world but why would the citizens get that kind of attitude?
Do the fine people of Europe, Middle East, Asia, Latin countries, etc. care whether or not we like them or is this "liking" thing supposed to be a one-way street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
I wonder how long until the RW in the US will start to talk about taking over these troubled areas in the Middle East. A lot of oil there. I imagine that would work well with US world opinion.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
They seem to quite like Bammer but they hated GwB with a passion. I can remember going over on business in 2001 and having to listen to it all.
For no valid reason.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Thats not what I stated. You didn't bother to read the whole thread, do you? Actually, we really liked the US before 9/11 and especially after 9/11 until the US decided to invade Iraq and tell us "You're either with us or against us". You just don't understand how much Bush was hated for these things over here.
Oh, I get it. So nothing should have been done about the terrorist attacks?

You can hate either Bush or the terrorists.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I wonder how long until the RW in the US will start to talk about taking over these troubled areas in the Middle East. A lot of oil there. I imagine that would work well with US world opinion.
The U.S. will not be "taking over" the Middle East. And the U.S. has plenty of oil but the leftists and environmentalists have successfully blocked getting access (drilling) to it.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The U.S. will not be "taking over" the Middle East. And the U.S. has plenty of oil but the leftists and environmentalists have successfully blocked getting access (drilling) to it.
Why not? The infrastruture and facilities are already there and, it would only take a few days, you know, like Iraq.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
[quote][quote=Strel;17969958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

Seriously? Do you not watch the news?
How about our supporting totalitarian regimes over there, or providing cover for Israel whenever they feel like misbehaving?

You really don't know?
If you want to talk about Egypt then start a "Why Do Egyptians hate us" thread.
As far as the Israel thing goes. I suppose that if we were helping the Palestinians to the detriment of Israel we would be aces over there huh Strel?

Quote:
Given that I have actually seen that happen, yes, it is a factor.
Were you there during the World Cup when the US won a match or something? If you weren't then you are simply lying and that's just really pathetic.

Quote:
Rather I chose it as an example of American chauvinism, which some posters in this thread have already exhibited.
Um Strel, look at the name of this thread. The chauvinism you are seeing is called defensiveness. You're not too perceptive are you?

Quote:
No, I wrote what I wrote, and it wasn't the above at all.
It is important when visiting a foreign country to make an attempt to speak the language. This is basic diplomacy and politeness, nothing more.
Phrasebooks are cheap, and can make a huge difference in how you are perceived by your host.
No, what happened was that you made ignorant blanket assumptions about Americans that they make no attempt to speak a little of the host nation's language. There are two things wrong with that. The first is that I have seen many Americans try to do just that and the other is that English is a widely spoken language around the world. The first thing Americans learn when they get arrive in a foreign nation is that they do not have to use the phrasebook as much as they thought they would. It's just a fact of life.

Quote:
I suggest you grow up first.
What, so I can promulgate stereotypes about a whole nation of people and lie to prove my points like you do? No thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Why not? The infrastruture and facilities are already there and, it would only take a few days, you know, like Iraq.
You do realize that some were making that claim (U.S. is going to "take" Iraqi's oil) all the way back to the 1991 Gulf War?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Its been the same for all world power since time began. I really could care less myself.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's all about jealousy and envy, hell even some Americans hate wealthy Americans, is it any wonder some strangers in another country resent our wealth as a nation?
Broadcast that attitude when visiting a foreign nation, and you'll deserve everything the locals can throw at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Interesting. I post on a few UK sites and the view there is that American troops are too reliant on technology, heavy equipment and massive air support and are not very good when it comes to getting down and dirty with the enemy.
Can't tell how much of that is gadget envy, but there is definitely an impression that when the average US soldier needs to take a dump in the field, he calls in a chopper with an M-82 Mobile Field Waste Disposal Unit Mk. II, rather than dig a hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That was good natured satire, after they showed us disrespect.
"Showed you disrespect"? They said no to going to war in Iraq. That's not disrespect, that's sound politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Unfortunately, yes. A few bad apples spoil it for everyone. Let's not forget the American tendency to get drunk and stupid, particularly among young adult males.
I think that's universal for young adult males of any nationality. Although the US drinking age of 21 sometimes has the effect of releasing Americans in their late teens with no alcohol experience whatsoever among European peers who can handle their liquor somewhat better. Results are predictable and sometimes remarkable to watch, but nobody really looks down on young people for tying one on, as long as time and place isn't wildly inappropriate.

A good part of the "Ugly American/Snotty Foreigners" cliche comes from a high percentage of Americans being relatively unseasoned travelers, often traveling relatively late in life, often traveling in groups, and always picking the classic tourist spots - Paris being the typical example.

Parisians are the New Yorkers of France - they have things to do, places to be, and no time for people standing around gawking at their city that, while inordinately beautiful, also happens to be a pretty busy place for business and government. Combine with groups of people who are reeling from jet-lag and experiencing foreign language, foreign money and foreign customs for the first time. Not exactly a match made in heaven.

Be all that as it may, I don't know anywhere where Americans in specific are unwelcome. Some places just don't welcome tourists all that much. And some people - of all nationalities - just shouldn't travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies