Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And the Texas School Board, still allows you to teach?

Well, they're working on turning science into religion here.

Texas board comes down on 2 sides of creationism debate - CNN

Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You do understand the difference between could and did, right?
That's not the relevant distinction here. The distinction is between evidence and no evidence.

We have evidence for "Darwin's warm pool."

We have no comparable evidence for God.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
From your link...

Isaiah 45:12, “I, with my own hands, stretched out the heavens [shamayim] and caused all their host to shine...”

This does not describe the creation of space during the Big Bang?
No. It does not. In fact, the Big Bang is in detail a direct contradiction of both of the Genesis creation myths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey
As for the rest of this person's interpretation, he seems to be trying to argue visions, dreams and prophesies as literal accounts of actual events rather than representative and symbolic.
You seem to be missing the point. The author (the late Bob Schadewald, a personal friend) did not believe any of those things. None of them were his interpretation. They were his explication of the position of Bible-believing flat earthers... folks who as recently as the 1930s were significant enough to have the most powerful radio station in North America.

I still possess several old issues of the Flat-Earth News from the 1980s. It was no different from creationism. Just more conservative.

These are your religious and philosophical brethren. Of course, they reject you as hopelessly liberal.

Last edited by HistorianDude; 02-23-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It's not antonymic.

What about an unintelligent creator?

That would be lumped in with the "not". It's been disproved.

Quote:

Many times. You make, and will make if you stay in this thread, the exact same fallacious arguments, no matter how often they are refuted.

This is what Creationists do.

I'm not the one that claims that we evolved from something that evolved from something that evolved from a rock. (intentional hyperbole).

You're the one that claims that something can't come from nothing....unless we're talking of how to defend your intellectually bankrupt theory. It's what evolutionists do. I expect you do.
Quote:

Your kettle is empty. My pot is full of evidence.
You should take a better look...I think you lost a bit from it.
Quote:

Yes we have. And you've been directed to it many times, I expect.
Saying it isn't going to make it so. You need to actually to prove your dopey claims.
Quote:

Except I have evidence, and you don't. I have hypotheses that have been validated.

You don't even have one that can be tested for validity.
Prove the universe came from nothing. Prove we evolved from some primitive life form. Prove we started as amoebas millions of years before. You can't, and you won't. You'll instead call me some kind of mental midget because I can't understand your completely insane fairy tale.
Quote:

All forms are transitional. When you figure out what that means in regards to the fossil record, get back to me.
Unfortunately, there aren't enough of them that have been found. There are massive gaping holes in teh record.
Quote:
And you've already proved my prediction true.

There is no score. There is no game.

There are the educated, the innocently ignorant, and the willfully ignorant.
The question is which is which? I'm not the one believing the fairy tale.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

I'm not the one that claims that we evolved from something that evolved from something that evolved from a rock. (intentional hyperbole).

You're the one that claims that something can't come from nothing....unless we're talking of how to defend your intellectually bankrupt theory. It's what evolutionists do. I expect you do.

Saying it isn't going to make it so. You need to actually to prove your dopey claims.

Prove the universe came from nothing. Prove we evolved from some primitive life form. Prove we started as amoebas millions of years before. You can't, and you won't. You'll instead call me some kind of mental midget because I can't understand your completely insane fairy tale.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough of them that have been found. There are massive gaping holes in teh record.

God did not create the universe, says Hawking

He wrote in A Brief History ... "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."

In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.

"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.

Stephen Hawking suggests universe created itself from nothing - National creationism | Examiner.com

Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
My question is why do the people who deny creation get so huffy and riled up that others believe?
Why can't they believe what they want and let others believe as they will. Why do they have to, as exemplifed on so many threads on CD, have to attack and demean believers?
So much anger.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Really?

SHOW US. Show us this "proof."

Quote:
Again, we have evidence to support that hypothesis.
Where is your evidence to support yours? Can you even come up with one that can be validated?

No, you can't.

Quote:
Thanks for demonstrating once again that you have almost no understanding of the topic.

Quote:

It's already been done, many times over. The only issue left is what the hell is wrong with Creaionists that they don't understand logic and evidence?

Quote:
Prove the universe came from nothing.
It didn't. Straw man argument again. No one claims this except people like you.

Quote:
Prove we evolved from some primitive life form.
Your use of the word "primitive" once again evidences a serious misunderstanding of evolution. See the attached pic at the bottom of this post, to learn why this way of thinking about it is just plain wrong.

Quote:
Prove we started as amoebas millions of years before. You can't, and you won't.
We haven't researched the genome THAT far back yet, but we have gotten it all the way back to early apes. That process, ERV's specifically, has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that we share a common ancestor with other primates.

Again, there is no debate anymore, just curiosity about what is different about the Creationist brain that leads them to deny reality so vehemently.

Quote:
You'll instead call me some kind of mental midget because I can't understand your completely insane fairy tale.
You cannot understand the science. That much is abundantly clear from your posts. Moreover, you REFUSE to understand it. You are willfully ignorant.

Quote:
Again, thanks for proving for us all that you have no idea what you are talking about. Scientists will never find a fossil of every generation of every creature that ever lived, which is the standard you try to set here.

Problem is, they don't need to. They didn't need to even before we developed genetics to the point where we can actually look back in time in our own DNA and see, directly and unambiguously, where we split off from our cousins, the chimps and bonobos and gorillas. And we are looking further back still. And guess what?

Everything they find validates evolution. Only the ignorant or dishonest can deny it is a fact any more.

Which are you? I know what Ken Ham is.

Quote:
Because you either cannot understand the science, or because you refuse to.
Attached Thumbnails
Evolution believe it or not?-laddervstree.gif  

Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
that can no more prove what caused the big bang then a creationist can prove it.
"Proof" is a pointless canard. There is no such thing as proof. For anything.

There is only greater or lesser confidence based on evidence and reasoning.

There is evidence for one of the alternatives. There is no evidence for the other.

Hence one explanation is by definition superior to the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet
The question then goes to what caused the big bang. Do you believe it was caused by elements which always existed accidental coming to gether and blowing up somehow causing planets suns and lava pools, or do you believe that there was a creator which caused it.
How is it that you seem to have missed the whole discussion to this point, a large part of which you were personally involved?

There is evidence for one of those scenarios, and not the other.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
My question is why do the people who deny creation get so huffy and riled up that others believe?
Because the Creationists are defrauding people. Because they are taking advantage of the ignorance and psychologic dependency of other people. Because they continue to make repeated attempts to erode the establishment clause using this issue.

Because they are liars.

Quote:
Why can't they believe what they want and let others believe as they will. Why do they have to, as exemplifed on so many threads on CD, have to attack and demean believers?
So much anger.
You tell me, they are the ones trying to push their agenda in the public schools. We aren't going to their churches.

So ask them.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Because the Creationists are defrauding people. Because they are taking advantage of the ignorance and psychologic dependency of other people. Because they continue to make repeated attempts to erode the establishment clause using this issue.
Because they are liars.
You tell me, they are the ones trying to push their agenda in the public schools. We aren't going to their churches.
So ask them.
I guess you have proved my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies