Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:58 AM

314 posts, read 414,407 times

Advertisements

thats pretty good your car is good on gas some people have to pay 50 dallars every 40 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mask of thought View Post
thats pretty good your car is good on gas some people have to pay 50 dallars every 40 miles
$50.00 every 40 miles?..... What do you drive an Abrahms M-1? I drive a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4X4 and $50 gets me 150 miles. Of course thats down here in FLAT as a pancake Florida. But when I went to Mountainous Kentucky last week I still got about 140 miles per $50 and on the Interstate on the way up there I got about 200 miles per (gas was a lil cheaper)

Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I am. I have to travel about 60 miles tomorrow round trip to work. At $3.56 a gal & 15 mpg thats going to cost me $14.24 & burn up 4 gallons of gas. I know gas will continue to climb with no end in sight & food & utilities will as well. I bet we see the $5.00 mark by summer. I believe this is all about filthy greed & nothing more.
Nope.

Just filled up yesterday...$96. But that will last me a month. I just don't drive much, and when I do drive for pleasure, it's on my Harley... which gets over 50MPG.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Who is struggling with the high gas prices

Seems the gas companies are struggling

I noticed on TV news that the 4 big gas companies made collectively 74 BILLION $$ in profit last year and it seems they are hurting and need tax breaks and gvmnt subsidies and also need to raise gas prices up to $4+gal. Some ones getting hosed big time and it aint the gas companies.
What I love about this is the oil companies are calling the congressmen who are talking about doing away with the subsidies... UNPATRIOTIC... the only unpatriotic ones I see are the oil companies. They used to prosecute companies for price gouging back in the days American politicians had a real set! Now that the politicians all sit side saddle companies will do whatever they can to screw the average consumer.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 AM

24,398 posts, read 23,053,611 times
Gas had dropped a nickel for a few days but in SE PA its back up to $3.95, over $4.00 a gallon closer to Philly.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
What I love about this is the oil companies are calling the congressmen who are talking about doing away with the subsidies... UNPATRIOTIC... the only unpatriotic ones I see are the oil companies. They used to prosecute companies for price gouging back in the days American politicians had a real set! Now that the politicians all sit side saddle companies will do whatever they can to screw the average consumer.
Seemed like the 5 guys at the table representing the oil companies were threatening withdrawal from the US market if the subsidies and tax breaks didnt continue..May be an unpatriotic attitude but unAmerican is not what i'd call the ultimate heartlessness of capitalism gone mad..
That old quote of "Live by the sword,Die by the sword" comes to mind when thinking of todays capitalism in America today...

Old 05-14-2011, 04:49 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
I was driving home last night-$3.79 a gallon..and I was happy-pathetic.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:53 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
you do know that oil companies actually pay taxes?

you do know that the government takes more of your money in taxes from gasoline than the oil companies- which do all the work of extracting the oil and employing americans in good-paying jobs?

you do know that our own government is using your money to subsidize oil exploration and development in countries like colombia and brazil?

you do know that cuba is drilling for oil 60 miles off our coast in florida, but we are not?

you do know that companies in our country had to actually sue the US government to get a drilling ban lifted?

no wonder the gas prices are out of control.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seemed like the 5 guys at the table representing the oil companies were threatening withdrawal from the US market if the subsidies and tax breaks didnt continue..May be an unpatriotic attitude but unAmerican is not what i'd call the ultimate heartlessness of capitalism gone mad..
That old quote of "Live by the sword,Die by the sword" comes to mind when thinking of todays capitalism in America today...
If they withdraw from the US market wouldn't that then guarantee the tax breaks and subsidies would stop. As for the unpatriotic comment that is what was reported on CBS news as having been said the oil companies called the congressmen who raised the issue of stopping the subsidies. I never said unAmerican
Yes I do know that they pay taxes on their 70 Billion dollar profit. but no doubt not as much as they should pay. (they have good tax atty's)
Cubas drilling for oil...GREAT now we just have to run a pipeline 90 miles and we in Florida are good to go...send a note to Pres Castro...Dear Fidel: We will let you send us 1 refugee for every 10,000 gallons of oil you sell us. Sounds like a win win he gets rid of some dissidents we get oil and Marimba bands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies